AES or CMVS + cables

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Yep that's me.

Let me actually try to help you out here. quit rushing.

This is old hardware, It's been around since 1995, it will still be around in 6 months. The price for the ultimate home NeoGeo setup will not skyrocket in 6 months, nor will it plummet into nothing. There is no reason to rush any of this. I know you just learned about NeoGeo and how cool it is, it is cool, that's why we are all here, but much of it is annoying, hard to find and prohibitively expensive.

You've been carpet bombing this forum with questions that any reasonable person would be able to figure out for themselves easily which means you have literally taken no time at all researching this and don't know what you are getting into. You are going to waste a ton of money and try to build a collection in 5 different ways and directions and a year from now you will be trying to make your money back selling 90% of it.

So calm the fuck down and think this over:

1. Do you just want to play NeoGeo games? They are available on various platforms and are cheap and easy to obtain, you can also emulate them very well. Maybe you should just consider building a retropie system as it is easy, cheap, and will allow you to play a massive array of SHMUP games outside of the few on NeoGeo.

2. did you just discover /r/crtgaming and want to jump on a bandwagon, you can hook a retropie to a CRT with a few cheap easily acquired adapters, or hunt down a late model Sony CRT with HDMI/DVI.

3. Are you somehow dead-set on actually owning a real NeoGeo system? then buy an AES and a NeoSD cartridge and you are done, you have everything and it's identical to owning the real games and saves you a pile of money.

4. Every other option past the AES+NeoSD is more expensive, harder to get, more annoying to use and only for the weirdo who insists on custom building a CMVS themselves and scrounding the cesspits of the internet for games or spending a fortune on original AES games, most of which cost more than an AES+NeoSD anyways.

TLDR: Build a retropie so you can also play CPS2 shooters and save $$$$$$$. If you think owning a real NeoGeo will impress your friends (It probably won't), buy an AES+NeoSD

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Owning a Neo isn't impressive anymore. Owning a Big Red, Candy, CMVS, Aes in your home was awesome like 10-15 years ago. When you had friends over they would always say stuff like "No Fucking Way, I remember playing Samurai Shodown when I was a kid" or whatever game they played at the arcade or if they saw a Aes Console, they would be like, What the hell is that? Now I feel like the specialness factor that the Neo had when I was a kid and young adult has been lost a bit and it wasn't because of PC Emulators and Roms but a number of other reasons.

It's the only platform were I wish it was never cheapened out. Sorry for going off topic and going on a little rant but was just responding to the last part of Finch's post.

I got back from vacation a few days ago and was looking forward to getting into this for a few reasons.

1. Shmups. I haven't played video games in maybe 20 years and I've had no desire to. But something happened recently (I can't even remember what it was) and I was reminded of how much fun shmups are. Now I want to play some real bad.

2. Arcade. I was never huge into arcades but I do have some good memories there and I love the idea of picking up a game, playing it for 10 minutes, and putting it down and getting back to work or with my family which arcade games allow for. Plus playing games on real arcade hardware is just cool.

3. Neo Geo. I fall into the category where when I was a kid I heard of the Neo Geo and how awesome and expensive it was and never actually saw one. Now I can afford it and I want it.

4. Cartridges. I was a NES and SNES guy as a kid and I miss cartridges. Also the giant chunky Neo Geo cartridges look awesome and I want to clunk them around. I'm going with MVS carts but planning to buy nice repro shock boxes and art somewhere because that looks awesome too.

5. CRT. I like that these old games look best on old display hardware and I'm looking forward to staring at a CRT again and really appreciating it for the first time.

Been trying to put all of this together and I think I've got it.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I got back from vacation a few days ago and was looking forward to getting into this for a few reasons.

1. Shmups. I haven't played video games in maybe 20 years and I've had no desire to. But something happened recently (I can't even remember what it was) and I was reminded of how much fun shmups are. Now I want to play some real bad.

Can't remember what it was? Yea, sounds REAL impactful there......

2. Arcade. I was never huge into arcades but I do have some good memories there and I love the idea of picking up a game, playing it for 10 minutes, and putting it down and getting back to work or with my family which arcade games allow for. Plus playing games on real arcade hardware is just cool.

3. Neo Geo. I fall into the category where when I was a kid I heard of the Neo Geo and how awesome and expensive it was and never actually saw one. Now I can afford it and I want it.

So Neo Geo rocks......but you never even saw one? Checks out.

4. Cartridges. I was a NES and SNES guy as a kid and I miss cartridges. Also the giant chunky Neo Geo cartridges look awesome and I want to clunk them around. I'm going with MVS carts but planning to buy nice repro shock boxes and art somewhere because that looks awesome too.

5. CRT. I like that these old games look best on old display hardware and I'm looking forward to staring at a CRT again and really appreciating it for the first time.

Been trying to put all of this together and I think I've got it.

This all combines to be one of the saddest non-Amiga posts I've seen in a LONG time.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
multi video system, as opposed to an advanced entertainment system any day of the week.
(aes = 1-socket. mvs = 4 socket, a NO brainer)
plus, there's a degree of extra functionality on the mvs over aes. :D
no coin in dip for aes, and subject to the inbuilt game options, like most home versions.
with cmvs, you get it ALL, including bookkeeping statistics, if that matters any. :p

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
multi video system, as opposed to an advanced entertainment system any day of the week.
(aes = 1-socket. mvs = 4 socket, a NO brainer)
plus, there's a degree of extra functionality on the mvs over aes. :D
no coin in dip for aes, and subject to the inbuilt game options, like most home versions.
with cmvs, you get it ALL, including bookkeeping statistics, if that matters any. :p

What difference does it make? If you get a NeoSd, you don't need Multiple Slots and if you're playing original carts, how hard is it to just swap games? It's not like he's going inside a cab to swap games. Most People just install a Uni-Bios on either their MVS or Aes so it allows to change the settings to their liking. Another plus with Aes is that it already comes with a memory card reader and not all MVS units have one. You might have to install one depending on your MVS.

A stock Home Cart System is also cheaper than a good CMVS. Not saying there is anything wrong with going with a CMVS but 1200's reasons for going with a MVS over Aes just don't cut it.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A stock Home Cart System is also cheaper than a good CMVS. Not saying there is anything wrong with going with a CMVS but 1200's reasons for going with a MVS over Aes just don't cut it.

That's because he's a fuckin' retard.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Yeah at this point If you want to play NeoGeo stuff with minimal effort and minimal money an AES+NeoSD is the best option. If I didn't already build a CMVS and score some of my favorite games for stupid cheap I would hands down go the AES+NeoSD route. Hell, I could sell the lot that I have and buy a super clean boxed AES and NeoSD and take up less shelf space. It's tempting, but in the end I like to fiddle with things and hunt down MVS carts for cheap more than I need the full NeoGeo library.

CMVS' are a great fun electronics project, but if you were into that there is no reason anymore as just a few games=the price of the NeoSD.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior

You do realize that the neo geo does not have the largest shmup library.

Get a switch and buy some of the shooters available there. See if you want to truly make the commitment to do the cmvs/supergun/aes thing.

It's tempting, but in the end I like to fiddle with things and hunt down MVS carts for cheap more than I need the full NeoGeo library.

^^^

Also want to see those pretty maids all in a row.

Last edited:

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Good to see you jumped ship to the shmups forums. Surely they'll appreciate all the new threads created for topics covered ad nauseam just as much as everyone here has. Way to spread the love.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
you two are the fucktards you accuse others of.
it's a given aes is not lost, just pointing out the OBVIOUS!
four sockets is four times the redundancy, you SCUM!
neosd creates an I/O, and the mvs has actual configs that surpass the watered down home system, and you know it. :D
go suck on an egg! :p
[edit]
@ sads & razzed!

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
you two are the fucktards you accuse others of.
it's a given aes is not lost, just pointing out the OBVIOUS!
four sockets is four times the redundancy, you SCUM!
neosd creates an I/O, and the mvs has actual configs that surpass the watered down home system, and you know it. :D
go suck on an egg! :p
[edit]
@ sads & razzed!

Take a Chill Pill son.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
^^^

Also want to see those pretty maids all in a row.

Yeah pretty much this. I have a grand total of 9 MVS games right now, they are my absolute favorites and they are all in shockboxes and almost all of them are in great condition with original labels, a few of them even have the mini stored in the shockbox with them. It fits nicely on the media cabinet I built and it looks quite nice. I even have Puzzle Bobble in one of those original white/red shockboxes which somehow feels special as it gets the most play because my wife FUCKING LOVES PUZZLE BOBBLE.

Also, I rather like how my bright red CMVS looks on the shelf under the TV more than an AES which is going to kind of blend in with the black plastic PS3/Sega Genesis/Router/Center channel speaker.

If I was going for pure efficiency I could sell the lot of it and buy a NeoSD and AES, but I find less joy in that.