Game Informer wants you to buy suds, not games

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I picked up the new August issue of Game Informer magazine, and, whilst flipping through the pages, I was gobsmacked to find an advertisement for Miller Lite beer. That's the first time in my life I've ever seen beer/liquor in a gaming mag and that's something I thought I'd never see in my life. Sure, the average age for gamers is in the 20s-30s these days, and Game Informer definitely skews towards a more mature audience, but, still, kids buy and subscribe to that magazine too.

konami code to get drunk.jpg

It's cool that they used the Konami Code though.

So, what do you think, awesome, inappropriate, or don't give a shit?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I think it's important that their advertisers aren't video game publishers. Beyond that, I wouldn't particularly care what they're selling. Beer (or beer-like substances, in this case) might be better, in fact, because the game publishers are less likely to also get in bed with the advertisers (see: Frito-Lay / Microsoft mess).

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Makes sense.
You advertise to the readers.
Dads, man-childs.....and some children...

fake

15 Year Member
10 year old kid in wife beater, boxer shorts, and shin-high white socks:
"Ma, pick me up the new Madden! And get me a six pack of Millah while you're at it, ya dirty whore."

Mom:
"OK, sweetie! Should I pre-order anything?"

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Disgusting but not surprising.

Game Informer has always been the worst,

the worst in previews, reviews, 'review crew'-esque personalities, everything.

It's 2018 and Gamestop is still around because no one's sued them for being sold a new game that was already opened. Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed.

edit: 'hurr durr konami code let's drink some beer'. No integrity there, never has been. They got very lucky to get picked up by Gamestop, probably because they were bottom of the barrel and had no scruples to begin with. Cash is king and all. I remember in 2003/04 the guys there would post on the Game Informer forums. Just as shit as you'd imagine.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Miller Lite tastes like chilled piss water.

B0cT-4dIQAAKptY.jpg

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I think advertisements for most liquor in general to be strange. Other than introducing a new product, or someone like Crown Royal who wants to promote their latest flavor, who thinks this is worthwhile for a cheap beer? Crap like Miller and Bud are the "Coke" of beers in the US. Of course, I've seen articles that say if Coke all of a sudden stopped advertising it would actually negatively effect their sales enough to more than offset the difference they spend on ads themselves. Apparently, people need to be reminded that Coke exists.

This is definitely a sign of Gamestop circling the drain.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I think advertisements for most liquor in general to be strange. Other than introducing a new product, or someone like Crown Royal who wants to promote their latest flavor, who thinks this is worthwhile for a cheap beer? Crap like Miller and Bud are the "Coke" of beers in the US. Of course, I've seen articles that say if Coke all of a sudden stopped advertising it would actually negatively effect their sales enough to more than offset the difference they spend on ads themselves. Apparently, people need to be reminded that Coke exists.

This is definitely a sign of Gamestop circling the drain.

One of the biggest contributors is this:

Brands obviously have marketing departments. At the end of the financial year, each department has to show what they spent their budget on. If they had a budget of $100 million but only spent $95 million, their budget is going to be reduced for the following year. The CMO is going to spend the entirety of the marketing budget so that he or she can increase the budget, whether or not it's really necessary. To do that, they'll throw away money on garbage demographics. And no, they often don't have to prove that their marketing strategies are actually producing results. This is especially true when it comes to things like print ads, TV ads, and billboards, since there's no way to track success (as opposed to online ads, which track the users' behavior).

TLDR: Miller had to spend money because why not?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I haven't read a gaming mag in about 15 years. If I were paging through this and saw this ad, I don't think I'd even give it a second look. Do kids still play video games?