Finished Persona 5 and loved it - what to play next?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I just finished Persona 5, and absolutely adored it! Oddly enough I've never finished a JRPG before, so it's odd this 100+ hour behemoth was my first. But the plot themes, general aesthetic and beginner-friendly gameplay kept me engrossed.

I think as I've become a surly, tired old man, I've come to enjoy a more relaxed pace to my games. So what should I play next? Options:

A. Finish Skies of Arcadia. Started it last year. Probably 30+ hours in. Got a bit tired of the frequency of random encounters and got distracted.

2. Pick up an earlier Persona game and play it.

3. Open to other options. Would be nice to play another exciting but turn-based rpg on PS4 (or Switch, though that may be a tall order.)

I'd love to hear what else you all think is close enough to Persona 5 to be my next play through!

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
have a bang on p4 for the ps2, along with dark chronicle.
look up the ps2 final fantasy series.
tales of...? included! :D

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I prefer to cycle through RPGs rather than play multiple entries in a series on after another. Just to keep things from getting too repetitive. I'll also try to alternate old and new-ish. So, I'd actually recommend you play FF VI. Both the SNES and GBA versions are great. AFAIK, the GBA version has a better / more coherent translation.

If you don't want to go that far back, maybe try Dragon Quest VIII.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I just finished Persona 5, and absolutely adored it! Oddly enough I've never finished a JRPG before, so it's odd this 100+ hour behemoth was my first. But the plot themes, general aesthetic and beginner-friendly gameplay kept me engrossed.

I think as I've become a surly, tired old man, I've come to enjoy a more relaxed pace to my games. So what should I play next? Options:

A. Finish Skies of Arcadia. Started it last year. Probably 30+ hours in. Got a bit tired of the frequency of random encounters and got distracted.

2. Pick up an earlier Persona game and play it.

3. Open to other options. Would be nice to play another exciting but turn-based rpg on PS4 (or Switch, though that may be a tall order.)

I'd love to hear what else you all think is close enough to Persona 5 to be my next play through!

PS4: The Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Ni no Kuni II, Monster Hunter World, etc.
Switch: Octopath Traveler, Zelda BOTW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Golf Story, Skyrim, etc.

Or maybe try something you haven't played before like The Yakuza series (PS4) or Yoku’s Island Express (Switch), who knows, you might like it.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nier: automata.
Captivated me in the way Persona 5 did for you. Bit more action oriented with a dash of Japanese weirdness throughout.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Honestly, Persona 3 FES is my favorite RPG behind Final Fantasy 7 (though that might only be because nostalgia. P3 is amazing despite a couple technical flaws)

I think after dealing with that though a baby mode RPG like Paper Mario might be nice (great games, but not particularly challenging)
Otherwise I've been jamming on the Legacy of Kain series lately. the first one is a bit diablo-like, proved to be quite a bit of fun.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
persona 4 was one the best rpg experiences i've had. so i would highly recommend it. haven't played any of the others in the series because i just can't sit through rpgs any more.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
For some reason, all of the SMT-related games have nearly zilch in the way of modern console ports, so I have to boot up the PS2 to revisit masterpieces like Persona 3/4 or the Digital Devil Saga. In terms of modern consoles, the only thing close to Persona 5 would be both of the SMT4 games which are 3DS only. There's also a pure dungeon crawler on 3DS called Persona Q which I enjoyed and finished, but it's missing a lot of the social parts of the regular Persona games.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
we need EG to come into this thread and tell us all how he feels about RPGs

Persona 3 is cool , i love it, never got too far in it. because my attention span is like a childss. or i get bored easy or something. UMMM, play Dragon Warrior III on NES while listening to Scars

all the final fantasy games up to and including 9. then stop.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Tokyo Xanadu, from Falcom! A lot of folks compare it to Persona.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Tokyo Xanadu, from Falcom! A lot of folks compare it to Persona.

Tokyo Xanadu is great, but definitely use a guide! I spent over 40 hrs on it only to get the shit ending.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i could no longer sit through rpgs because i just don't have the patience for them, which is a shame because there's a lot of games i want to get into. i still wanted to go through the dragon quest games. maybe one day.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The only thing like an SMT game is another SMT game, so if you wanna make sure, play Persona 3 or 4. Or maybe Strange Journey if you want something similar but a little different. The Witcher 3 is what I'd suggest, though. Persona 5 is SO long, though, that playing another one right after might burn you out.

The Witcher 3 has a great world, really good story and characters, and it plays really well, too. I put about 65 hours into it and its DLCs- it's still plenty long, but not P5 long.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Honestly, Persona 3 FES is my favorite RPG behind Final Fantasy 7 (though that might only be because nostalgia. P3 is amazing despite a couple technical flaws)

Yeah, I really enjoyed P3. I liked P3 so much I was really looking forward to FES to add to the story of P3, but I just couldn't get into that game. It didn't help that I couldn't get past the first boss. So yeah, P3 should also be good if someone likes P5.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Thanks for all the suggestions! Kinda waffling between starting P3 or P4, or going with an SNES RPG (FF 6) or maybe Mario RPG.

Sounds like no one thinks I should finish Skies of Arcadia at this point, eh?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
we need EG to come into this thread and tell us all how he feels about RPGs

Wrfe.gif

Persona 4 Golden is awesome if you have a Vita (or another way to play Vita games...).

If you don't mind strat RPGs, the Disgaea games are great time-wasters. You can just play it for 30 hours-ish if you just wanna do the main story but it can last forever if you enjoy grinding. They're very cheeky and meta/genre-savvy.

Also the original Valkyria Chronicles if you haven't played that. Closest thing we'll ever get to a real Shining Force sequel.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I think Disgaea games are the worst things to play if you are interested/if you enjoy SRPGs. they blow the top off the genre in a bad way (needless subleveling systems, needless added digits to damage/health counters bother me) and in my opinion the mechanics tend to be so esoteric that you'll get really nervous that you're not doing something right and google it only to find long-winded answers and arguments on gamefaqs. AT LEAST that was my experience when I tried playing Makai Kingdom a handful of years ago. The style and story is really fucking dumb and will probably not be good for you especially in immediate comparison to something like SMT/Persona which is one of the few WELL DONE anime RPG games.

I recommend Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, get the SNES english translated ROM.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I think Disgaea games are the worst things to play if you are interested/if you enjoy SRPGs. they blow the top off the genre in a bad way (needless subleveling systems, needless added digits to damage/health counters bother me) and in my opinion the mechanics tend to be so esoteric that you'll get really nervous that you're not doing something right and google it only to find long-winded answers and arguments on gamefaqs. AT LEAST that was my experience when I tried playing Makai Kingdom a handful of years ago. The style and story is really fucking dumb and will probably not be good for you especially in immediate comparison to something like SMT/Persona which is one of the few WELL DONE anime RPG games.

I recommend Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, get the SNES english translated ROM.

I’m so with you on this. Disgaea is a mess. I tried the PS4 game and its intolerable. The music is embarrassing (esp when there’s singing), and the battle mechanics are over-complicated. I do t even think you need to do all that anyway.

I gave up pretty quick, but I just remember it being a dumb story and a lot of tutorials.

Honestly, my favorite srpg’s are just nectaris, shining force and Dark Wizard (and DW borders on being overly complex). I’m just a simple guy, I guess.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Quick RPGs that are easy to get into and light hearted? The Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi games. All clock in at around 10-12 hours a pop and are a joy to play (as long as paper Mario is restricted to N64 and GC)

The Dragon Quest games on DS and 3DS are steller as well, my personal favorites are 5 and 8.

Chronk Trigger and Earthbound are also a good one that is shorter (15-17 hours) and a must play.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
My favorite version of disgaea was the ds version since I could close the clam shell to pause whenever I wanted. I might pick it up on switch when it releases though. I’d say if you have a vita or vita tv, pick up persona 4 Golden.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The first Disgaea is one of my favorite SRPGs of all time. So much you can do, you can just play the main game and not even go to the item world to build your characters and items up. That stuff was really more for a NG+ to be honest. If you play it like FFT I can assure you, it's very much the same except for light hearted.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Agree to disagree but most of the non-Disgaea SRPGs from Nippon Ichi (Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom) are kinda booty. The first two Disgaea games (as well as D2) are pretty straightforward if you're at all familiar with SRPG mechanics (for instance, I think Tactics Ogre is more needlessly complex with the WT system). Like Panda said, you don't need to engage in any of the more complex systems (the Senate, the Item Worlds, etc.) if you're only interested in playing through the story. It's like complaining about grinding in a Final Fantasy game because you wanna beat optional bosses. I mean, yeah, if you're obsessed with 100%ing games and you don't like Item World grinding, you're gonna have a bad time but it's totally optional.

As for the stories, that's a matter of personal taste. I can tolerate dopey anime cliches (and poking fun at them) as long as there's a Japanese language track and it doesn't take itself overly seriously.