Easiest Shmups You've Played?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I picked Blast Wind back up today. I got to the final boss and he exploded to reveal another form. And so I killed him again and he exploded. Silly me, I thought that was the end. But an escape pod or something shot out and slammed against my ship and ended my run. I had 3 bombs left. Probably could have cleared it if I were an inch higher or lower. Oh well, I'll get the 1CC soon.

I'm not really clear on the 1up situation, though. Are all extends 1up drops? I've had runs where I miss 3 of them falling off screen. But the drops don't seem to really correspond exactly to my score. Like, I'll get to 1 million points and I won't get the 1up until 30 seconds later... Weird.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm not really clear on the 1up situation, though. Are all extends 1up drops? I've had runs where I miss 3 of them falling off screen. But the drops don't seem to really correspond exactly to my score. Like, I'll get to 1 million points and I won't get the 1up until 30 seconds later... Weird.

(I believe after every 100 coins you collect, a 1up will drop). Plus there are score based extends in addition to this.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
If you're ok with arena shmups, here's one I recently discovered via the Arcade Archives line: Ark Area. On default settings the game just poops out 1ups left and right, and one of the fastest clears I've ever done.

I should give this game a seizure warning though, as two of the stages go way overboard on the effects. Like to the point you'll think the game soft locked as every color melts together, but it's supposed to be that way.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thats where i was definitely. Yeah is the pc engine version that much harder really?

Sup ShaolinAce. In the pc engine version, the player can take continuous damage from prolonged contact with enemies or bullets (eg. the player can have their life bar quickly drained from staying in contact with a single bullet/enemy/obstacle).

They tweaked the gameplay in the sega cd version and introduced a hit stun when the player takes damage which nullifies further damage for a moment before resuming. This breaks the flow of gameplay a bit compared to the pc engine original, but also makes the tight corridor/enemy bombardment sections much easier to pass since the player no longer can take ongoing damage from the fast approaching waves of bullets or obstacles. Combine this change with the already generous shop mechanic and the sega cd version basically clears itself on the default difficulty.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Raptor- Call of the Shadows (on PC) is easy to beat, as long as you buy the right weapons (the homing minigun, and the laser turret).

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Air Zonk comes to mind. It's been a very long time - I just played it once, and I'm guessing I used the turbo switch.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Sup ShaolinAce. In the pc engine version, the player can take continuous damage from prolonged contact with enemies or bullets (eg. the player can have their life bar quickly drained from staying in contact with a single bullet/enemy/obstacle).

They tweaked the gameplay in the sega cd version and introduced a hit stun when the player takes damage which nullifies further damage for a moment before resuming. This breaks the flow of gameplay a bit compared to the pc engine original, but also makes the tight corridor/enemy bombardment sections much easier to pass since the player no longer can take ongoing damage from the fast approaching waves of bullets or obstacles. Combine this change with the already generous shop mechanic and the sega cd version basically clears itself on the default difficulty.

It really was a walk in the park and its sadly the only version I played. I sold it right after beating it the first day I played it. I liked the music the graphics and presentation but yeah looks like ill have to play the pc engine version at some point in my life to give it some kind of payback.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If you don't mind memorization, Thunderforce AC is pretty doable. Lots of extends and Hunter is pretty broken.