Easiest Shmups You've Played?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
So I wouldn't exactly call myself a scrub... But I'm basically a scrub. I can clear some stuff, but there are certain shmups I feel like I should be able to clear but can't.

What are the easiest shmups you've played?

Similarly / alternatively, what are the shmups you think are easy to clear?

The ones that come to mind for me are:

MUSHA Aleste

Marchen Cotton 100%

Psyvariar Revision and Psyvariar 2

Harmful Park

Deathsmiles

Batsugun Special

Gimme a recco (no pun intended) that I can clear before the summer is out!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Soldier Blade is a good beginner shooter.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Soldier Blade is a good beginner shooter.

That's one of the ones I feel like I should be able to clear. I can get to the end no problem, but I get blasted during the last few minutes, and there's no way to power up enough to stand a chance. :( I'll pop that one back in, though. I've been meaning to give it another go for a few months.

MC708

n00b
I'm no good at shmups but I really enjoyed centipede (particularly the 7800 version), I find that even if you're pretty bad at shmups its still easy to get somewhat far. Idk, I haven't played many shmups so maybe I'm wrong

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I'm a scrub. The only shmups I can recall 1cc'ing are Flame Zapper Kotsujin (pc-98, emulated) and Gate of Thunder (Turbografx). I can't recall if the latter was on easy or medium, but yeah, those were fun and fairly easy to learn to beat.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Yeah, Gate of Thunder is another good one for nooblets.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Similarly / alternatively, what are the shmups you think are easy to clear?

1. Gun Frontier is one of the toughest STG's I ever played, but the Saturn port is, well, one of the easiest. You might struggle to get the good ending, because the final duel requires a little luck, apart from this, though, it's a great opportunity to show off with a one credit clear. With so many extends you get, it's hard to imagine otherwise.

2. Likewise on the Saturn, you'll find Gekirindan a considerably easy and comfortable experience. If you want it even easier, just take the second player Type-C ship: it offers 1/3 of additional power to your shot.

3. Gaia Seed on the PS1 is practically clearing itself, even on the hardest setting. Your ship has a replenishing shield.

4. Viewpoint on the Mega Drive gives you as many extends as Saturn's Gun Frontier and, despite what critics think, it's not a bad port. Try it.

5. Once you get the hang of how to get the golden extends in Gunhed on the PCE, it'll be a breeze to clear it. Super Aleste on the SFC works the same way, Zanac Neo on the PS1 is similar, too.

6. You'll have no problems at all with a default clear of Blast Wind on the Saturn, or Blust Wind, as its cover suggest. Again, despite what critics nag about this game, it's a very good one.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
T1810Gfront.jpg

That is clearly an A.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Prehistoric Isle 2 comes to mind. Also the PS2 port of Aero Fighters (Oretachi no Game Center Zoku) is pretty easy to clear.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Lords of Thunder on Turbo CD is pretty easy to clear. Just start taking earth armor and have a good time.

Caladrius Blaze can be quite easy once you've unlocked ship customization.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Thanks, guys. Gonna lock it in for Blast Wind.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Einhander

Raiden Fighters series

Deathsmiles Black Label

These are the few shmups I found easy even though I usually suck.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I thought Spriggan was pretty easy considering I stuck at shmups.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I cleared R-type pretty easily. Einhänder too. And parodius was a cakewalk.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Gradius Galaxies/Advance for the GBA is pretty easy. I think the only hard part in the game is the speed area in the second-to-last level.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Yeah, that would be swell. And could you clear Image Fight 2, while you're at it, Gaston ;).

Mind you, this was 20 years ago. Haven't played it recently but R-Type was my muse somehow. Probably beats the shit out of me nowadays.

Edit: that said, it definitely wasn't the easiest since I practised a lot. So scratch it :)
Want a challenge? Try Salamander for MSX.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Parodius series is hard. I've never been past stage 4 on Sexy.

Zanac X Zanac (Zanac Neo) was one of the ones I found to be easier.

As mentioned, Deathsmiles is pretty easy though last boss can kill a great run. I often no-miss until him and then have runs just ruined.

Psikyo stuff is generally easy until stage 5 where it gets moderately difficult and then super difficult on stag 6 and beyond.

That is still stuff I recommend for people who want longer runs and experience because the games still benefit bomb management and intuitive chaining systems; which are two things to do well for survival / scoring.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Parodius series is hard. I've never been past stage 4 on Sexy.

Zanac X Zanac (Zanac Neo) was one of the ones I found to be easier.

As mentioned, Deathsmiles is pretty easy though last boss can kill a great run. I often no-miss until him and then have runs just ruined.

Psikyo stuff is generally easy until stage 5 where it gets moderately difficult and then super difficult on stag 6 and beyond.

That is still stuff I recommend for people who want longer runs and experience because the games still benefit bomb management and intuitive chaining systems; which are two things to do well for survival / scoring.

Gunbird is one of the shmups I should be able to clear but can't. I can get to the penultimate level where there's a bridge and these pillars come up. But that's where things get unmanageable for me. And usually when I die once, it's all over.

EDIT:

Here are my clears just to give you an idea of my lack of skillz

Batsugun Special
Flying Hero
Psyvariar 2
DeathSmiles NA [360 Mode]
GunDuel (Game Center CX 2)
Märchen Adventure Cotton 100%
DeathSmiles [Japanese Arcade Mode]
MUSHA Aleste
DoDonPachi Daifuukatsu - 360 Mode
Harmful Park