Dragon Quest XI

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Anyone else hyped for this? Western version finally comes out in 3 weeks, and visually it looks incredible.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I think this is the only remaining game that's been announced that I'm excited for. But I don't know if I'll be playing it anytime soon. I still have to play through VII and VIII. (I'm not too interested in IX and X obviously hasn't come out over here / I don't think I'd ever pay for a game sub.)

The game itself looks amazing. My only complaint so far is that the main character looks a little too generic / oddly late '90s. (The hair style is the main issue.) Just kinda looks like something Toriyama could've thrown together in 15 mins.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I’m also still working through VIII on 3DS, but I finished VII last year and loved it. I’ve actually been trying to figure out what happened to the 3DS version of XI but haven’t been able to find a release date yet.

fake

15 Year Member
I’m also still working through VIII on 3DS, but I finished VII last year and loved it. I’ve actually been trying to figure out what happened to the 3DS version of XI but haven’t been able to find a release date yet.

What was your clock-in for VII? I heard it's SUPER long.

They kinda-sorta hinted that the localization of the 3DS XI is cancelled, which doesn't surprised me. Honestly, I'm just happy we're getting anything at all out of XI. I don't know if they're really going to make bank on this.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Off the top of my head, I think it was somewhere in the 80-90 hour range. I know the psx version was even longer, due to loading and some other design stuff that was changed for the 3DS one. Don’t get me wrong it’s still maybe 10 hours too long, imo. But the fact the story is more episodic, there are no random battles, there’s no loading, and you can 2x the battle speed makes it much more manageable. What got me through all 90 hours was 1. Liking the episodic stories 2. Great music, animations, and use of 3D 3. Fast battles.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm picking it up to support it and because I have all the others (except X), but I'll be damned if I know when I'm going to play it.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm picking it up to support it and because I have all the others (except X), but I'll be damned if I know when I'm going to play it.

Yeah I'm doing the same as well. I'm gonna seriously try to put in some effort to play this as much as I can.

fake

15 Year Member
Apparently XI is very good. Reviews are 8s and 9s.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

I'm in the same boat. I feel the Switch version would be best for me because I find playing longer games on portables is better than sitting on a couch and knocking them out. I have all the DQ games on GB or DS iterations and I find them best suited for those platforms. The only gripe I'll have is the notable graphics downgrade for switch, and if it's like Ys VIII (PS2 quality at many points) then I'll pony up for the PS4 version.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Counting down the days, but it's also released on the first day of the school year and I think my students would be disappointed if I didn't show up.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Only a few more days until this releases. Really pumped for this.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Bummer that I won’t be able to play this for at least a month due to work stuff, but I’ve been binging on review videos. Almost compelled to buy one of ios versions to play in short bursts in the meantime.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
The last time I preordered a game with Amazon for release date delivery, the game I bought came a week later, so this time I went with Best Buy. I preordered months ago for in store pickup and today I got an email from Best Buy that they have no stock of the game. My options are to change my pickup store to another store, where they’re expected to come in on 9/7, or to cancel my order.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Really looking forward to playing it later today. It’s going to take forever to play though but will be a great ride. I’m not a fan of Kotaku, but this review is pretty great for those on the fence
https://youtu.be/4iTbUGItU0s

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Got it this morning, it will be a great night :) I'm a fan of the series, I also have them all on portable consoles. A Switch version would be better, but hey, it's better than nothing. It will help me to calm down, I begin to be a bit angry after Dark Souls 3 (I HATE Champion Gundyr !).

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Got a copy at Gamestop today so I can play it on release day. Installing now. I'm gonna crack out and play it the next few days. REally stoked!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Can someone try this on a Vita through remote play? I was gonna wait for the Switch version, but if remote play works decently I might go ahead and get it.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Can someone try this on a Vita through remote play? I was gonna wait for the Switch version, but if remote play works decently I might go ahead and get it.

Let me see if I can dig up my Vita and give it a spin. I haven't turned on the Vita in ages :(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To answer my own question (kinda) I hooked my PS4 back up and tested out remote play. When I set it for a direct wifi connection with the Vita only being a few feet away on my couch it worked extremely well. A hiccup once in a while, but I could still play Double Dragon and Garou reasonably well on it, with my only issues being the controller and not lag. I played the opening bit of Final Fantasy 7 to test an RPG and it was fine. So I'll probably pick up DQ next time I'm near Best Buy.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
About two hours in and it's absolutely glorious. I'm not a massive RPG nut but I do like playing this series from time to time and this entry is really hitting the spot. Lots of complaints about the music and the main characters haircut lol but it still feels and plays like DQ. Exploring every nook and cranny has been a joy so far, it keeps on giving.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'm enjoying it, but BotW spoiled me for being able to go anywhere. Hard to take the path they want you to take, and not the one you want. Hope the game opens up a little later on.

Certainly pretty to look at though.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

If TV being occupied is the main reason, I would recommend streaming to a laptop or PC via the PS app.

In general, PS4 streaming works well with games that run at 30fps, and struggles to maintain a stable fps beyond that, even with the Pro.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Has anybody beaten this? I'm struggling at the last boss.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Just had the credits roll. Has anyone done the “post-game”? I see some people saying it’s really Act 3, but not sure whether I want to put in another 20-25 hours at the moment.