WTB: Dog

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Love Dogs, but their genomes are fucked due to relentless inbreeding. People are lucky to get 10 years out of dog now.
You should consider pet insurance for every breed listed so far. If its face looks like it's unnatural, then it probably is, and it will have breathing problems. Almost every large breed suffers from Trichiasis or hip dysplasia. Even German shepards are fucked.

Your best bet is a street mutt of some sort.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Love Dogs, but their genomes are fucked due to relentless inbreeding. People are lucky to get 10 years out of dog now.
You should consider pet insurance for every breed listed so far. If its face looks like it's unnatural, then it probably is, and it will have breathing problems. Almost every large breed suffers from Trichiasis or hip dysplasia. Even German shepards are fucked.

This is the best advice.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

So true. My mum’s Doberman had hip dysplasia. My Doberman before that had lymphoma. My Collie went blind and developed epilepsy... :(

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yep. If it were up to me I’d get rid of dog breeds / standards and especially brachycephalic breeds.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

That's what my dog is. Dna testing shows 2 of his great grandparents were Italian Greyhounds but the rest is mixed. Smart, house trained in a week but not trusting of children. Not aggressive to them, just doesn't want them to touch him.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Isn't that the type that humps everyone's leg?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
only cats, ay?. you've been missing out, dude. one of my ex girlfriends had a cat, and i barley noticed it was around. where as dogs become a part of the family.

i have a staffy which my sister takes care of because i'm never home most days, and i miss him as much as i miss any member of my family.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
only cats, ay?. you've been missing out, dude. one of my ex girlfriends had a cat, and i barley noticed it was around. where as dogs become a part of the family.

i have a staffy which my sister takes care of because i'm never home most days, and i miss him as much as i miss any member of my family.

Cats are a lot more social with people who live with them. Visitors often get hidden from.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
motherfucker has clearly never had a decent cat.

this thread creeps me the fuck out, by the way. Your specifications and arrangements are fucking weird. just buy a fucking nice ass dog and treat him good and you'll have a lovely pet friend.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Yeah I like cats, they're a good compromise.

I also don't want something that feels like a family member dying every ten years, that sounds fucking horrible.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member

I also don't want something that feels like a family member dying every ten years, that sounds fucking horrible.

Yep, that's the tradeoff.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

10 years only on a dog?

so- my bulldog went to almost 13 and died due to vet error. We just put down my 16 year old beagle. and i have another 12 year old here now.

maybe 10 or less on very large breeds, but that number is out of nowhere man.

edit: side note- most of us are advocating going to a rescue as it is- which is basically muttsville. but you can kind of pick what kind of mutt you want too.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

I still miss my cat so no advantage.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
10 years only on a dog?

so- my bulldog went to almost 13 and died due to vet error. We just put down my 16 year old beagle. and i have another 12 year old here now.

maybe 10 or less on very large breeds, but that number is out of nowhere man.

edit: side note- most of us are advocating going to a rescue as it is- which is basically muttsville. but you can kind of pick what kind of mutt you want too.

Neo was 15 & a rescue.

Also ban the noob OP, WTB threads don't go in Unrelated...

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Neo was 15 & a rescue.

Also ban the noob OP, WTB threads don't go in Unrelated...

I know you're kidding, but I was wondering if OP was referencing the WTS thread several years back where some guy was trying to sell his dog on the forums.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yeah the 10 year thing is BS.

As I said earlier my family have only ever had GSD’s and all have been rescues. they have lived to all sorts of ages.

We had one that only made it to 8 but most of that was due to the appalling way she was kept in the first few years of her life.

All the others have lived between 12-18.

Dogs are no different to humans.
They have a average life span which is breed specific then you have the odd ones who die a little early or go way over.

The important thing to remember is dogs are unlike most other domestic animals.
They are pack animals and want to be accepted into your pack. Treat them well and they will repay you with love and loyalty.
But get insurance because vet bills can be damn expensive and if you are not prepared to spend cash when that dog needs you the most you should not have one.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The 10 year thing is real. Citations below.
Large dogs are much worse than small dogs. that is true. However, small dogs have lots of quality of life issues in those remaining years. Those stumpy corgi legs that are so cute stop working. Arthritis and fatigue sets in, and your dog can't walk long enough to poop outside. Lab's seem to be doing fairly well for large dogs. There's still a lot of mixed breeding there. Longevity these days also has to do with Vetinary medicine. Improved diagnosis, cancer treatment, and there's even been successful stem cell transplants.

Journal of Gerontology: BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
1997, Vol. 52A, No. 3, BI71-BI78

J Small Anim Pract. 2010 Oct;51(10):512-24. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5827.2010.00974.x.

Cats are heading this way as well. Breeders are making some weird ass cats, and inbreeding the hell out of them once they get the desired phenotypic outcome.

I'm still going to have pets, but you need to budget for them like a family member. My household has a 17 yr old diabetic cat. Two shots a day and a controlled diet. He doesnt even know, but he pees a lot.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Anecdotal, but my nearly 12 year old corgi can keep pace with a 3 year old corgi. He does have arthritis in one leg, but don't we all? I'd say that in my experience, being thorough with taking care of your dog - giving them the right exercise, nutrition, and attention, as well as being perceptive about their health - can really extend the life of a dog and keep their quality of life very high.

I'm not saying that if you aren't anal about your dog he's going to die young. My friend had a yard dog, a Jack Russel, who rarely went to the vet but was 19 when he died.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Bad breeding is a problem no doubt about that.

Again GSD as a example are often bred with a sloped back which is not natural to the breed and often leads to problems.
They are meant to be straight backed and when us humans dont interfere they are fine.

But as usual we the human race have lots to answer for as do the Kennel Club and other such organisations in this case.

But thats a different rant and one ime not going to start on!!

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My black lab mix, beagle terrier mix and chow mix each lived to 14+ with no health issues and were street pups. No purchase necessary.

Osmun, my avatar, was also a stray pup.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
Spoiler:
motherfucker has clearly never had a decent cat.

this thread creeps me the fuck out, by the way. Your specifications and arrangements are fucking weird. just buy a fucking nice ass dog and treat him good and you'll have a lovely pet friend.
motherfucker clearly never got thier pretty little face SHREDDED by an unruly cat! :p
a friend of mine has a tortoiseshell cat, and it even disobeys/DEFYS him on all counts.
discipline is far different to a dog, and cat cages/prisons are great for timeouts. (those things used to transport felines to a vet.)
dead fucking serious, i stopped visiting him because not only dis it slash his furniture and attack him, but it would do the same to visitors NOT made aware of the situation, as most pet owners DO alert visitors the creature might have a hard on.....buyer beware/enter at own risk.
this shitbag cat used to hide in places people don't generally orient their heads (eg: atop affixed shelves and fittings) JUMP down on the unsuspected, and get a face full of gashes.
:mad:
couldn't be fucked with a beatnik pet owner, the moggy tries to attack other cats, just doesn't have the testicular fortitude to steam into a doggy.
what do they say about cats:
they OWN you, they choose the company, and will shit out at the first sign of danger to them they can't/dare not face, traitors. :D
nothing against felines, but i DO know their natures if not properly cared for.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
That's a 21 yo science reference, There has to be more up to date data.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
motherfucker clearly never got thier pretty little face SHREDDED by an unruly cat! :p
a friend of mine has a tortoiseshell cat, and it even disobeys/DEFYS him on all counts.
discipline is far different to a dog, and cat cages/prisons are great for timeouts. (those things used to transport felines to a vet.)
dead fucking serious, i stopped visiting him because not only dis it slash his furniture and attack him, but it would do the same to visitors NOT made aware of the situation, as most pet owners DO alert visitors the creature might have a hard on.....buyer beware/enter at own risk.
this shitbag cat used to hide in places people don't generally orient their heads (eg: atop affixed shelves and fittings) JUMP down on the unsuspected, and get a face full of gashes.
:mad:
couldn't be fucked with a beatnik pet owner, the moggy tries to attack other cats, just doesn't have the testicular fortitude to steam into a doggy.
what do they say about cats:
they OWN you, they choose the company, and will shit out at the first sign of danger to them they can't/dare not face, traitors. :D
nothing against felines, but i DO know their natures if not properly cared for.
spoken like a man who doesn't understand cats nor have any desire to get along with a cat

you don't have a cat for the same reason you have a dog you fucking stupid fuck