WTB: Dog

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I don't know shit about dogs but I've always thought King Charles Spaniels were nice looking animals. Maybe a bit small though.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Maybe get a butt pug?
3a77aca76d90754074a530bb58a68922.jpg

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Mjmjr, even though you're just starting to look, keep this stuff in mind:

Take the dog to the vet before you even go home from adopting him / her. Even when the breeder or shelter says "up to date on shots", they're usually not, so the vet will take a poo, urine, and blood sample and check for parasites and any organ function issues. The vet will also take a look at bone structure and whatnot and let you know that there are no issues. If you get the dog home and take him to the vet a few days later, you and the family have already bonded and it's really going to suck if you have to bring him back to the breeder.

Have a tabletop analogue clock on hand when you first get the dog. He'll be missing his mother and siblings, and the ticking of the clock will help him fall asleep. (It'll register to him as other dogs' hearts beating.)

Get insurance. It's very affordable and is worth it if you fall into the bucket of people who love animals and therefore have a dog, rather than people who just have a dog for the fuck of it, who will say "Oh, it's just a dog; put 'im down" when anything expensive comes up. I could've bought a car with the money I spent on my uninsured dog.

Socialize the puppy as much as you can. Go to the PetSmart / PetCo puppy social hours every weekend. Let him work the kinks out. If you don't, he could very well be one of those dogs that absolutely freaks when he sees another dog.

The dog can and will ruin your carpet as well as anything he can get his hands on. Be vigilant about having the kids keep everything off the floor, both so that stuff doesn't get ruined and so that the dog doesn't choke on anything.

You can definitely teach old dogs new tricks, but training a puppy is just so much easier. Find a reputable trainer. (I'd avoid the stereotypical ex-military guy turned dog trainer.)

Don't buy food or meds online. They're often expired and sometimes are even bootleg.

Like someone said above, there are tons of dogs needing to be adopted. Personally, I've never adopted, and I do feel bad about it, so I try to donate when I can to the local SPCA. (The USPCA is a sham.)

I've got a million more, but those are the things that immediately come to mind and will prevent headaches and high bills in the future.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
:D
most lupines are great, just the limitation of moulting can stuff a wrench in the turbine, the cleanup is worse than a cat.
shroom is bob on with yorkies, what they lack in size, they make up for being quite aggressive little shits, hit and runners. (effective in their own way)
if you're looking for a dog that ticks most boxes, a staffodshire bullterrier can fit the bill.
just they eat loads and shit a metric tonne.
great with children, very patient, to the point you being the master, they WILL defy you in the protection of children if it comes to it.
one of the BEST type of family dogs known to man.
german shepherds and alsations are pretty good, just a bit numb and too curious on occasion.
rottweiler WITH IT'S TAIL INTACT can be a good companion, same for doberman.
dog de bo, what a character.
the bottom line is, if whatever the dog is raised and cared for correctly, you'll have a friend for life! ;)
medicals are not that hard, just a bit costly.
the dog i have is a pedigree staffy, and moulting isn't an issue.
great with others, and we have it out and bark at each other to clear the air sometimes. :D
dog to dog!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
That's a lot of breeds that will be tough on someone with no dog experience and who wants an easier time with raising them.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Border Collies are great for families, have really fun personalities, and are smart, but they shed a lot during the fall and spring. So I'd say they're not what Mjmjr is looking for.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Mjmjr, even though you're just starting to look, keep this stuff in mind:

Take the dog to the vet before you even go home from adopting him / her. Even when the breeder or shelter says "up to date on shots", they're usually not, so the vet will take a poo, urine, and blood sample and check for parasites and any organ function issues. The vet will also take a look at bone structure and whatnot and let you know that there are no issues. If you get the dog home and take him to the vet a few days later, you and the family have already bonded and it's really going to suck if you have to bring him back to the breeder.

Have a tabletop analogue clock on hand when you first get the dog. He'll be missing his mother and siblings, and the ticking of the clock will help him fall asleep. (It'll register to him as other dogs' hearts beating.)

Get insurance. It's very affordable and is worth it if you fall into the bucket of people who love animals and therefore have a dog, rather than people who just have a dog for the fuck of it, who will say "Oh, it's just a dog; put 'im down" when anything expensive comes up. I could've bought a car with the money I spent on my uninsured dog.

Socialize the puppy as much as you can. Go to the PetSmart / PetCo puppy social hours every weekend. Let him work the kinks out. If you don't, he could very well be one of those dogs that absolutely freaks when he sees another dog.

The dog can and will ruin your carpet as well as anything he can get his hands on. Be vigilant about having the kids keep everything off the floor, both so that stuff doesn't get ruined and so that the dog doesn't choke on anything.

You can definitely teach old dogs new tricks, but training a puppy is just so much easier. Find a reputable trainer. (I'd avoid the stereotypical ex-military guy turned dog trainer.)

Don't buy food or meds online. They're often expired and sometimes are even bootleg.

Like someone said above, there are tons of dogs needing to be adopted. Personally, I've never adopted, and I do feel bad about it, so I try to donate when I can to the local SPCA. (The USPCA is a sham.)

I've got a million more, but those are the things that immediately come to mind and will prevent headaches and high bills in the future.

All very good advice here. Definitely second the mutt recommendation as well. Mutts are generally smart, better-tempered and less prone to the health issues that plague pedigree dogs (everything from cancer to arthritis to joint issues).

While shelters are an excellent service and would advise most folks to get a dog from a shelter if possible, I would not recommend a shelter dog for your first dog, particularly if you have kids. Not that shelter dogs necessarily will have behavioral or attachment issues but shelter dogs are always a crap shoot and an inexperienced dog owner won't necessarily know the warning signs or mediation strategies.

Beagles are great dogs but, like most working dogs, they need a lot of exercise or they become destructive pains in the ass. Only other issue is that they're big talkers by nature and their howl can wake up a neighborhood so you have to work on training that out of them as much as possible as early as possible. Dogs are going to bark... it's how they communicate with the outside world. However, dogs that bark for attention or out of boredom or because they're anxious will make you want to pull your fucking hair out. Particularly one with a loud and obnoxious bark like a beagle.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Awesome advice continues - thank you.

Yes, for our purposes the shedding is a moderate concern. I wouldn't say a deal breaker, but our preference would be one that has minimal shedding. Primarily for my high school age kids who just don't want to deal with it if we can avoid it.

The lanolin allergy my wife has is a deal breaker - she's had allergy shots, but there are a few things that will still bind her up to the point she literally can't breathe, and lanolin in high amounts is one of them.

EDIT: barking, not too much of a concern for neighbors, we're a couple acres from neighbors in all directions, but of course, we don't want something keeping US up all night either.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Border Collies are great for families, have really fun personalities, and are smart, but they shed a lot during the fall and spring. So I'd say they're not what Mjmjr is looking for.

This is true. We had a short-haired Border Collie growing up but even then it would shed a lot. If you can look past that, they really are a fun dog. The amount of tricks I taught my dog blew my mind as a kid. It would also dig up rocks and chase any car it’s could. Those two traits were kind of annoying.

A Doberman is also a great companion dog. There is a stigma attached to them as an aggressive dog but I would class it more as a territorial, protector animal. Also very smart and loyal.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I am a person who would prefer a medium sized dog as well, like a lab. But instead, I own a rat-terrier/ jack russell/ mut whatever she is, I lover her. Just recently adopted a what looks like a long haired chiwawa mixed with a doxson or something because she is long and skinny. Sometimes the right dog finds you, I got lucky and that's what happened to me.... I think the peeps here are giving you pretty good advice.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I know you mentioned labs cause allergies to the wife but mine was mixed with a collie and was the sweetest dog I've ever known. Great with mobs of kids, she liked to roam, fricken Houdini and she went to the elementary school nearby a lot.

They never called the police/dog catcher because she absolutely adored kids.

I miss her dearly and she was put down in '91. I sincerely hope you find a dog that affects your family's lives so wonderfully.

The only negative was she chewed anything the family touched, lol.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I have a goldendoodle. He's three years old, incredibly smart, and very well-tempered. He's very soulful, and he truly is a member of the family. He doesn't shed, and he was super easy to house-train. He only had one accident! He spends most of the time with my parents, and he goes everywhere with them. He's great in the car, and he great for a walk down a busy sidewalk or running out in the woods. I highly recommend them.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
+1 for black labrador. Fantastic company however an acquaintance of mine is large for his breed and does require a lot of walking daily. I also love greyhounds, we had a rescue and she was absolutely gorgeous. Such a big heart but didn't like going for walks. It was literally a case of open the car door and let it go bananas and do laps on a flat surface for ten minutes until its had enough. Conditioning I guess. Rescuing a greyhound was great and I'm so glad we gave ours a loving home for her to see out her years.

-1 for Long haired-dachshund. Very clever but have little guy syndrome. Will bark at anything. Ideal for warning off intruders but all in all absolute sluts. I love ours but wouldn't have another.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback for 15 years, absolutely a fantastic dog, even named him Neo. Great with the family well tempered, loved to play or just lounge.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
WTB: Neodogg

My family is ready for a dogg. Growing up I only had video games and really have no knowledge of doggs.

Here is what I know we want:
Easy to train in Devil's Crush
Content to be an only "Neo" dogg (IE, we're only getting one that likes the Neo)
Likes to play Neo & riding John Deer
Under $1,000 for a pup (no boots)
Not a small El Santo mascara, but not a Blue Demon either (so a mid-size Luchadore)
One to get along well with Alpacas

What type of dogg am I looking for?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Basset Hounds are very chilled out, at least in my experience, plus they look cool:
serveimage

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My family is ready for a dogg. Growing up I only had video games and really have no knowledge of doggs.

Content to be an only "Neo" dogg (IE, we're only getting one that likes the Neo)
Not a small El Santo mascara, but not a Blue Demon either (so a mid-size Luchadore)

Dalmatian

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

1652434-biggerbadderbetter.gif

poutine

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Maybe get a butt pug?
3a77aca76d90754074a530bb58a68922.jpg

:keke:

Another vote for collie of some variety here. It’s a smart, medium sized dog. They are high energy since they are breed to be working dogs, But they generally have a nice nature and are good with families.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

collies.jpg