Octopath Traveler

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Anybody playing this? I just fired up my copy and I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun with it. I like that you have to have certain party members in your team to unlock certain dialogue options. That's a neat addition to the classic top down JRPG formula.

It's not perfect, but it's a really strong entry in this genre. I consider it a platform mover, myself; if I didn't own a Switch before this game and tried it out, it would have pushed me to buy one.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Thank god you are playing this game. If there is anyone on these forums who I knew would enjoy it and actually play it, it would be Taiso.

Some things to keep in mind:
1) The person you choose at the beginning has to be in your party until you finish their chapter 4.
2) Therion's steal is really good, and you can get some unreasonably awesome equipment early if you know where to find it. You'll also need him if you ever wanna open up the pink chests - there's one in every dungeon.
3) Alfyn's concoct is fucking godly. He and Therion were mainstays of my party.
4) The subclasses will likely make you poop your pants, they are so much fun.

My final timer for the game was on the dot 70 hours. Loved it.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I snagged it for my b-day. I’m not that far into it but I am really enjoying it. The perspective is the coolest thing about it, and it’s great how they adapted the “tile”-based maps to this new angle, whivh is beautiful at times.

My only gripe with this is that it has an overall...”budget” feel to it. It’s lacking in style and the music so far is eh. And the screen “flash” animation when a battle starts is just sad. FF4 had an effect way cooler than this.

For a $60 game, I would have expected something with a presentation comparable to ffvi, and OP misses that mark in many ways.

That said, it’s fun and humorous, and much better than any other jrpg I’ve played in 15 years or so.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
What the hell are you talking about, the music is eh? Octopath does things musically that no other RPG has done, specifically using its leitmotifs as segues into battles. Play up to the boss of anyone's chapter, and you'll hear a specific build-up song for your character that continues into the boss fight as it morphs into the boss battle music. There are 3 different regular battle musics as you go out further in the rings of the map, with threads linking them to let you know your current level of danger/badassery. And as far as non-battle music goes, the music of Flamesgrace is something I actually put my controller down and listened to for 15 minutes.

As far as the screen "flash" it looks like the Street Fighter IV inky wipe, something that looked incredibly stylish in SFIV trailers and then wasn't really particularly part of the image when it came out. The inky/paper imagery pairs well with the general aesthetic of Octopath, as the entire thing looks like a pop-up book; you have hyperrealistic water effects juxtaposed with buildings that are built of sprites in a very Paper Mario way. It's kind of genius if the idea is that these characters are sort of "legends" passed down from Hornburg.

There is absolutely nothing budget about the battle system of Octopath either. You get 4 classes with 4 subclasses (out of 12 to choose from) and, due to the subclass system, designing the synergy of your party is almost to the level of Etrian Odyssey IV. Setting up to do 300,000 damage in one attack is incredibly satisfying.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
What the hell are you talking about, the music is eh? Octopath does things musically that no other RPG has done, specifically using its leitmotifs as segues into battles. Play up to the boss of anyone's chapter, and you'll hear a specific build-up song for your character that continues into the boss fight as it morphs into the boss battle music. There are 3 different regular battle musics as you go out further in the rings of the map, with threads linking them to let you know your current level of danger/badassery. And as far as non-battle music goes, the music of Flamesgrace is something I actually put my controller down and listened to for 15 minutes.

As far as the screen "flash" it looks like the Street Fighter IV inky wipe, something that looked incredibly stylish in SFIV trailers and then wasn't really particularly part of the image when it came out. The inky/paper imagery pairs well with the general aesthetic of Octopath, as the entire thing looks like a pop-up book; you have hyperrealistic water effects juxtaposed with buildings that are built of sprites in a very Paper Mario way. It's kind of genius if the idea is that these characters are sort of "legends" passed down from Hornburg.

There is absolutely nothing budget about the battle system of Octopath either. You get 4 classes with 4 subclasses (out of 12 to choose from) and, due to the subclass system, designing the synergy of your party is almost to the level of Etrian Odyssey IV. Setting up to do 300,000 damage in one attack is incredibly satisfying.

Well, like I said, I’m not that far in it, and this is my opinion based on what I’ve seen so far.

As for the music, it’s nice to hear it’s used in a creative way, but what if you just don’t like the tunes? Rush is complex and math-ey is fuck, and it’s easy to appreciate for its complexity. But some people just don’t like the tunes. They find the chords boring, the drumming too busy, etc. I really don’t like metal, for example. I can’t stand the double lead guitars and when it gets Cookie Monster, I’m done with it.

In short, it’s subjective dude.

The enemies don’t seem to animate much in battle, or at all. Seems like they cut corners. Even Lunar has basic enemy animations.

And that shit should have been at 60fps. No reason it couldn’t have been.

And yeah, the perspective/papercraft visuals are awesome. It’s what sold me on the game. But given how beautiful 2d games are these days, they could have done so much more with the sprite work.

Maybe you like the fact that it tries to replicate the limitations of the snes, and I can appreciate that. But i would have liked something more.

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
It’s so great. I’m about 50 hours in, but haven’t finished all the chapter 2 stories yet, I’ve been doing mainly side quests and exploring the world to unlock secondary jobs.
Everything about this game reeks quality. From the visuals to the music to the battle system.
I haven’t been playing much else because of this game.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Excuse the double post but KP! I didn’t realize it was you with your fancy custom rank. I ain’t kickin’ up dirt at ya’. Just expressing my opinion. i love ya buddy.

I had friends from Seattle at cax that I had to entertain. Sorry I couldn’t spend more time with ya.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So far, my experiences with the game have confirmed that this is not a half hearted, lazy or economically developed game.

I'm confident that this game is so meticulously crafted, down to every pixel on the screen and every cord of every song in the OST, every last questline and line of dialogue, that it is exactly what SE wanted it to be. They've prepared a very specific thing and that isnt going to appeal to every gamer in 2018.

It's a very distinctly produced thing.

Personally, I've found it brilliant. But even if I hadn't, I'd still marvel at the craftsmanship. This game is a monument to it's own mission statement.

Someone was trying to make an opus here. This is the best pure JRPG I've played since Lost Odyssey.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Excuse the double post but KP! I didn’t realize it was you with your fancy custom rank. I ain’t kickin’ up dirt at ya’. Just expressing my opinion. i love ya buddy.

I had friends from Seattle at cax that I had to entertain. Sorry I couldn’t spend more time with ya.

And now you confuse me with my son! This is the last straw! No, but srs, we did meet at CAX albeit very briefly. And if you're up for it, I usually call up Quan whenever I'm in SoCal and I'll be down again in October.

Someone was trying to make an opus here. This is the best pure JRPG I've played since Lost Odyssey.

I had similar thoughts, except I liked both Bravely games a lot, too. Dude, just wait until you see some of those story threads start tying together.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
And now you confuse me with my son! This is the last straw! No, but srs, we did meet at CAX albeit very briefly. And if you're up for it, I usually call up Quan whenever I'm in SoCal and I'll be down again in October .

Hit me up bro!

I was playing it more last night and I’m really starting to enjoy the battle system. The boost feature is pretty satisfying.

Edit: now I know why the perspective seem so familiar to me. The overworld in 3D dot game heroes use the same camera angle. That was an awesome game. I should put it in and try to finish it.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Hit me up bro!

I was playing it more last night and I’m really starting to enjoy the battle system. The boost feature is pretty satisfying.

Edit: now I know why the perspective seem so familiar to me. The overworld in 3D dot game heroes use the same camera angle. That was an awesome game. I should put it in and try to finish it.

The reason why you couldn't see the potential is that your vision is clouded by Dancing Eyes.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Exceptional JRPG. Fantastic artistic design, great music and sweet gameplay. This game has sucked me in completely and I don't play anything else. Currently I am level 44 and I am starting level 3 for my main party.Then I plan to absorb every secondary character and finish his/her quest.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Exceptional JRPG. Fantastic artistic design, great music and sweet gameplay. This game has sucked me in completely and I don't play anything else. Currently I am level 44 and I am starting level 3 for my main party.Then I plan to absorb every secondary character and finish his/her quest.

You are pretty much at the point that I called the golden era of the game. You're almost able to get the 4 special subclasses, and those boss fights were the most exhilirating part of the whole game.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
You are pretty much at the point that I called the golden era of the game. You're almost able to get the 4 special subclasses, and those boss fights were the most exhilirating part of the whole game.
The Warlord destroyed me completely. I then headed to Archmage, I was very close to kill him. So I left those alone and regrouped my party far better making use of the best support skills for everyone. I believe I can kill the Archmage at this point.

I enjoy each character’s story so far except cleric