Chasm

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
TLDR:

great game buy now .... etc

What's is it?

An indie metroidvania that is currently on PC, PS4, PS Vita (Cross Buy / Cross Save). Switch / XB1 release likely to follow.

We got Hollow Knight on Switch sometime ago, and Dead Cells this week. Death's Gambit is next week and Guacamelee 2 the week after. With all these releases, I thought this game deserves some attention as well.

But procedural-generated maps :scratch:

Not an issue because:

1) The map stays the same within a single playthrough. It doesn't change if you die or re-enter the dungeon

2) When you start a game save, you are assigned a random editable code (referred to as "seed"). You can re-use this seed in future playthroughs in case you wish to keep the same map, or share it with friends to have the same experience.

chasm2.jpg

3) The key areas of the map (bosses, save rooms, teleports ... etc) and key item locations always remain the same. The randomization only occurs for corridors and such.

chasm3.jpg

Simply put, it's unnecessary but doesn't ruin the game either.

What I liked:

In general, this is the closest non-Castlevania Metroidvania I've played that is more in line with SotN and the Sorrow Castlevania games. Not saying it's better than the other indie metroidvania's out there, but it's the closest to those games.

It may start simple but the game's depth will become more apparent the more you play:

- 80+ monsters, most of which have x2 unique drops
- Lots of secrets to explore and hidden items to find
- The controls, visual effects and sound effects are almost spot on to the games I mentioned earlier
- Pleasant graphics and animations
- Combat is great, especially learning each monster's / boss' pattern
- Huge arsenal of equipment. On regards to weapons, there are different classes, each with different animations (Swords, daggers, spears .... etc)
- And there are upgradable sub-weapons and familiars too!
- There are villagers you can rescue and they serve different purposes in the town and request you to fetch items for them (that improve their offerings)
- There are different difficulties if you enjoy more challenging combat

What's missing

- Those small details you see in the background, that add to the lore / setting. I guess that's one of the shortcomings of having random maps (not to say they look bland in Chasm either, but it's not on the same level as Castlevania)
- A killer soundtrack
- It could use more areas
- Menu's are efficient but bland and sometimes messy
- An interesting story (if that's your thing)

Last edited:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I've been playing this a bit the last few days and you're pretty much spot on with your impressions of the game. I would be curious to see a frame by frame breakdown of some of the weapon attacks in this game because I swear they look like a one to one match with some from Castlevania.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I found the game arresting. I simply could not put it down. Great, addicting exploration elements and good lore to brace up a fun, if familiar, semi-linear side scroller that was clearly inspired, heavily, by SotN.

WELL worth the 20 bucks I paid on PSN.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
- Beating a boss without getting any damage gives you a unique weapons. The first boss gives you the Wendigo Knife, which is extremely powerful early in the game.

- you can attack during the first few frames of a backdash for a safe retreating attack (useful for monsters that rush at you during attack animation)

- You can also attack just before landing from a jump, and attack again right after landing for quick double attacks (like in SotN)

- If you happen to find a room with a ghost standing next to a fortune wheel, make sure to save before attempting to play his mini game. It may permanently decrease (or increase) one of your stats.

- For your 100% playthrough, focus on your Luck stat.

- Later on in the game (when you revisit and get to properly explore The Keep) you can find a green knife drop from a green jelly cube, which increases item drops from monsters (it's only mentioned in the weapon's description. It doesn't raise your Luck stat).

- For combat, focus on INT. High INT combined with level 3 magic knives (sub weapon) = deadly as fuck. I believe you can level up the subweapons once you get the 2nd ability from The Keep. Afterwards, go back to The Catacombs and retrieve the incantations book for the old lady.