Thread: Replacement Fan for CPS2

Dodgeball Yakuza

Replacement Fan for CPS2

I've been trying to find a replacement fan for my CPS2 A boards. I know JNX sells them, but apparently he's out of stock despite what his site says (says out when paying). I tried running the part number on my stock fan, but all I can find are 3-wire fans and I need a 2-wire fan. Anyone got another source?

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by NEgO MANIAC View Post
    I've been trying to find a replacement fan for my CPS2 A boards. I know JNX sells them, but apparently he's out of stock despite what his site says (says out when paying). I tried running the part number on my stock fan, but all I can find are 3-wire fans and I need a 2-wire fan. Anyone got another source?
    I ordered my quiet fans from Ebay. I'm not in front of a computer at the moment but I'll get back to you later if no one chimes in.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

The JNX fans are cheap and quieter than stock but I wouldn't call them quiet. Are there ones that are close to silent?
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 #0015959 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President | NG.com Top Trader
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKSOUL View Post
    I ask a complete account removal extraction

I ask the deletion authorized by Neo Geo Admin Judge Dredd.

Thanks a lot.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Yea, I never owned silent ones. The fans I have on my A boards are much quieter and dont have that high pitch squealing noise that the stock fans and atomiswave fans have. Inside a cab, I can't hear anything but when playing with a SG, you could tell the A board is running.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    Yea, I never owned silent ones. The fans I have on my A boards are much quieter and dont have that high pitch squealing noise that the stock fans and atomiswave fans have. Inside a cab, I can't hear anything but when playing with a SG, you could tell the A board is running.
    Yeah the Atomisfans are bad as well. I don't want to listen to a hairdryer sound when playing games.

FUCK FANS!
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 #0015959 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President | NG.com Top Trader
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKSOUL View Post
    I ask a complete account removal extraction

I ask the deletion authorized by Neo Geo Admin Judge Dredd.

Thanks a lot.

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post
    Yeah the Atomisfans are bad as well. I don't want to listen to a hairdryer sound when playing games.

FUCK FANS!
    I just replaced my Atomiswave fan this weekend and it made a huge difference. It's so much smaller but might be louder than the CPS2 fans. Crazy.

Cholecystectomy Required.

Try this one, I ordered it and will put it into an A board next week.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

The 60x60x10 is a little thin, so it will move around. Unsure if the 60x60x15 will fit perfectly, if anything i'll trim it to fit.
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    Switch FC 0965 2531 6217

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Raiden's Valet

I replaced mine with 60x60x15 fans and they fit perfectly so you should be good with those without the need to trim any of the plastic.

The Papst ones are basically silent as well, so much so that I didn't think the fan was working when I first replaced it. You do pay a premium for that silence though.
    Last edited by pulstar; 08-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Morden's Lackey

warlock/brightwarrior class heavy destroyer upgrade, E.A.S. Styx.

aye!
    three core can be a bit of a slag.
    look up any of what's available, and most use a default dc power in, obviously the sensor wire is loose and has no bearing at this point.
    picked a few six inch 12vDC with a third wire, and couldn't use it.
    all i did was connect the red and black (yellow was sensor) and gold.
    it's possible if connecting yellow and black/ground you'll get a fixed partial fan speed. (12vDC red, 5vDC yellow. -ground black)
    as long as the output of the cps2 transformer aligns, won't matter.
    all you'll need to figure out is affixing the fan IF physical dimensions don't match up.

Host for Orochi

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    The Papst ones are basically silent as well, so much so that I didn't think the fan was working when I first replaced it. You do pay a premium for that silence though.
    I can't support this thesis. The Papst fans are quiet but not silent. I have also tried this cheap one from ebay and they are basically the same. Maybe the Papst is a tad quieter but that doesn't justify the much higher price tag. So I would recommend a cheap model unless you are extra sound-sensitive.
    Last edited by suicidekiller; 08-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pep
    Your nickname suits very well for someone who has decided collecting NGH

Raiden's Valet

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekiller View Post
    I can't support this thesis. The Papst fans are quiet but not silent. I have also tried this cheap one from ebay and they are basically the same. Maybe the Papst is a tad quieter but that doesn't justify the much higher price tag. So I would recommend a cheap model unless you are extra sound-sensitive.
    Maybe your ears are more sensitive than mine and I live in blissful ignorance I agree though, the cheaper fans are quiet enough to play CPS2 PCBs on a Supergun without driving you mad and the difference in price is quite significant.
    My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    I recently replaced the stock fan on my Japanese A board with a Papst 612 FL. Measured next to the fan cover with the shell closed, the stock fan was around 60 dB and the Papst is about 35 dB IIRC. The stock fan sounded like a jet taking off, and while the Papst isn't totally silent, it's quiet enough to not to bother me when the board is inside an AV cabinet.

In addition to the reduced noise level, I like to think I paid for increased longevity, since the Papst is designed for industrial use.

Ryo's Student

Bumping this.

This fan is allegedly 16dB. So I'm going to order one, unless... Is a fan on a CPS2 really necessary when only playing for a few hours at a time? Or is it more for cooling for 24/7 purposes at a game center? Anyone ever try just disconnecting the fan and seeing what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by GregN View Post
    Grocery stores are like chinese and mexican places; some of them are local.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by fakeXsound View Post
    Bumping this.

This fan is allegedly 16dB. So I'm going to order one, unless... Is a fan on a CPS2 really necessary when only playing for a few hours at a time? Or is it more for cooling for 24/7 purposes at a game center? Anyone ever try just disconnecting the fan and seeing what happens?
    Yes, there are plenty of people who have done this. It doesn't hurt to just replace the fan since they are so cheap but you should be fine running it without a fan.

Ryo's Student

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    Yes, there are plenty of people who have done this. It doesn't hurt to just replace the fan since they are so cheap but you should be fine running it without a fan.
    Cool. I'll try the 16dB fan and if it still drives me nuts, maybe I'll disconnect it. (It's not as bad as the Atomiswave fan. Dayum.)

Quote Originally Posted by GregN View Post
    Grocery stores are like chinese and mexican places; some of them are local.

Thread Information