Looking for games that run on a piece of shit laptop?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Hello forum.

I've bought a '2nd' laptop as a cheap beater to take with me while travelling. I have a decent business laptop, but I probably shouldn't be using it for games, torrentz and prawn.

Here's what I've ordered for the tiny sum of £140 : https://www.ebuyer.com/825527-lenovo-ideapad-120s-14-laptop-grey-81a5002wuk

4 Gb of ram, a 1.1 ghz celeron processor and intergrated intel graphics but... at least it's got a 14 inch screen and 8 hours battery life. It's got Windows 10 S (the S stands for Shite) but it can upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free according to the reviews.

It's probably going to be used mainly for streaming netflix, but I wondered what games might be worth at least attempting to play on it? I'm not expecting to play the Witcher 3 or GTA 5 on it, but perhaps Portal 2 on low/medium, Skyrim on low, Warcraft 3 and Hotline Miami won't be out the question. There's also MAME of course, although that 64gb space is going to fill up super fast.

Anyone got experience of gaming on a POS machine?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Get some good but low-spec steam games. There's plenty of fun ones. I recently had a lot of fun with dead cells, darkest dungeon and some weird hacking game Hacknet.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Get some good but low-spec steam games. There's plenty of fun ones. I recently had a lot of fun with dead cells, darkest dungeon and some weird hacking game Hacknet.

Mmm! Dead Cells looks pretty fucking excellent, Darkest Dungeon looks like something I'd play too. Hacknet could be fun, but I never had the patience for Uplink back in the day. Still, a good start - thanks!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Darwinia is a cool RTS. Any early Source engine games should be fine. Momodora is really cool.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
how about some emulators? nes, snes, megadrive?.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Mmm! Dead Cells looks pretty fucking excellent, Darkest Dungeon looks like something I'd play too. Hacknet could be fun, but I never had the patience for Uplink back in the day. Still, a good start - thanks!

Dead Cells is awesome. Darkest Dungeon is love it or hate it, IMO, with there being a really high reliance on RNG combined with resource management that turned me off to it. It's worth a shot, but I'd generally consider it very overrated.

I doubt The Banner Saga has high requirements at all. Really engaging strategy RPGs, third game in the trilogy came out a few weeks ago and you can pick up all three together for about $40.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
enter the gungeon is another great one.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
team fortress classic runs on anything. It's a fun game but there aren't as many servers/people playing anymore. Check out gog.com They have a lot of old dos games that they have paired with DOSBox to run on windows.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I love Darkest Dungeon but it will cause you to throw the laptop at the wall. It is punishing, unforgiving and unfair.

Check out The Binding of Isaac.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Did I read that correct? 1.1ghz? Mame or Kawaks will even give that thing problems. I had to get a POS with at least 2.2ghz for there to be no lag. Get some good DOS games. First pick up Daggerfall, as it is freeware now. Get X-COM UFO defense too.

Last edited: