Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) Thread

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I know some fine folk here think Smash is the pinnacle of fighting games, so here's the thread for the upcoming ultimate game.

Also see the announcement for Simon and Richter Belmont below.

https://kotaku.com/castlevanias-simon-and-richter-belmont-join-smash-bros-1828189474

Simon Belmont, the star of Castlevania, hasn’t had his own game in a while, but he is coming to Super Smash Bros. So is his descendant, Richter Belmont.

The whip-wielding vampire slayers will join the newest Smash when it comes to Switch this December. They’ll bring with them a stage based on Dracula’s Castle, complete with monsters and 34 (!) music tracks from the longrunning Konami series. Every once in a while, Nintendo says, Dracula will pop up. “Under what conditions will he appear? Time will tell.”

Simon and Richter are echo fighters—they both have the same whip-based moves and techniques. Castlevania antihero Alucard also joins the game as an Assist Trophy.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Shit, I didn't even know Smash was considered a fighting game. I guess you learn something new every day.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Shit, I didn't even know Smash was considered a fighting game. I guess you learn something new every day.
I've never considered it one. But I did enjoy the Wii version. Melee I think? The one w the cool story mode.

It's also the only one I've played.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Copied from Famicommander thread that I forgot existed.

Five new characters announced today
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Richter Belmont (Castlevania) (E)
Dark Samus (Metroid) (E)
Chrom (Fire Emblem) (E)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)

And the Nintendo Direct with facts and trolling

https://youtu.be/P-kQWJrjRV4

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I've never considered it one. But I did enjoy the Wii version. Melee I think? The one w the cool story mode.

It's also the only one I've played.

Brawl is the Wii version, and the one with the most single player stuff. But it's the worst multiplayer one in the series because it's severely unbalanced and they introduced a bunch of randomized mechanics to take some of the skill out. For example, your character will randomly trip and fall down for no reason.

Melee on Gamecube is the one closest to a traditional fighting game. Still played at Evo to the present day. Wave dashing, air cancels, lag cancelling, edge guarding, unforgiving timing windows for advanced combos, etc. It's still no Third Strike or VF5, but it's a legitimate fighter. Just not traditional.

In tournament rules you go 1v1, no stage hazards, no items, 3 lives, 5 minute time limit.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've played Melee and Brawl for years and I've come to a couple conclusions.

Melee is out to kill you, is very poorly balanced and full of glitches. Ice Climbers can infinite combo and completely immobilize opponents. Mr. Game & Watch's shield is too small for him. The only viable characters are Fox, Falco, Shiek, Marth, Jigglypuff and maybe Yoshi. You have to be facing the ledge to grab it. The ledgegrab sweet spot is uselessly small. Most characters have really poor recovery, lending to the roster imbalance. Airdodging is completely useless other than wavedashing. The long hitstun leads to a lot of quick deaths.

Brawl may have tripping and Meta Knight, but barring those, Brawl received a lot of massive improvements over Melee. Most of the cast is competitively viable, only a few are truly weak. The game in general is far less buggy, only Ice Climbers and maybe Dedede have exploitable infinite combos (again excluding Meta Knight). You can face away from the ledge and still grab it. Airdodging gives you a useful defense option in the air (doesn't make you helpless). The ledgegrab sweet spot is much larger. Most characters have excellent recovery. The reduced hitstun and emphasis on playing defensively makes Brawl a game that requires more mindgame skill and less unbreakable combos. In general I find Brawl a far more fair game, definitely not a traditional fighter in any sense but can be played competitively. It is nothing like Melee in a lot of ways.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Captain Falcon, Peach, and Ice Climbers are all viable in Melee. Even Samus, Pikachu, and Young Link are all viable in Melee. What are you even talking about?

And most of your complaints just sound like you suck at Melee. Complaining about how hard it is to grab the ledges or recover? Stop getting knocked of the stage, you scrub.

Melee > Smash 4 > Smash 64 > Brawl

Project M, a fan made mod you can install on a stock Wii, is way better than Brawl.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Have you played Brawl?

Melee was a rushed game and it clearly shows. I dearly love Melee but with every year it gets harder to see past all the warts, bugs and imbalance issues.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Does anyone know if Ultimate will have something like the Subspace Emissary?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
It's not confirmed yet, but there is still an unknown mode (spirit)

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I wasn't really planning on buying this one, but after looking at all the new features and characters, I am excited to try it out. Plus with it being $40 after GCU and $10 gift certificate it seems worth while. The Nintendo direct today showed some cool stuff. What are you all thinking?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I am actually thinking about buying a switch with this....
I am not even a SSB fan as such but it does look rather good!!

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I'm getting the Fighters pass. The value is pretty much spot on in terms of what I'd deem as fair for fighters,stages, and music.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So the final roster

Introduced in Super Smash Bros:
Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Link
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Samus Aran
Captain Falcon
Ness
Kirby
Fox McCloud

Introduced in Melee:
Young Link
Princess Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Falco Lombardi
Bowser
Princess Peach
Dr. Mario
Roy
Marth
Mewtwo
Pichu
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch

Introduced in Brawl:
Lucas
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
Wario
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Ike
Wolf O'Donnel
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog
Captain Olimar
Pit
R.O.B.
Toon Link

Introduced in Smash 4:
Bowser Jr
Dark Pit
Mii Brawler
Mii Swordfighter
Mii Gunner
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Little Mac
Lucina
Pac-Man
Mega Man
Palutena
Robin
Rosalina and Luma
Shulk
Villager
Bayonetta (DLC)
Cloud Strife (DLC)
Corrin (DLC)
Ryu (DLC)
Alph (alternate skin for Olimar)
Roy, Lemmy, Ludwig, Larry, Morton, Iggy, and Wendy (alternate skins for Bowser Jr)

Introduced in Smash Ultimate:
Chrom
Daisy
Dark Samus
King K. Rool
Incineroar
Ken
Inkling
Isabelle
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Ridley
Pirhana Plant (DLC)

So we're getting 12 new characters, 7 characters that were in older games but cut from Smash 4, and all the base roster and DLC from Smash 4.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Looking forward to this, hope it can improve on Smash 4.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Got my copy today and plan on putting some time in to unlock characters and check out this spirits mode. Gameplay is Rock solid and controls are tight.

Link is very different, no hookshot as he has a standard grab. Don't know if this is related to BotW, but it threw my off a lot at first.

My only gripe out of the gate is that the visuals are really good. What I mean is in portable mode everything blends together so well that it's easy to lose your character in the chaos. I don't know if there is an option to bolden the edges of characters like the 3DS version had, but it's one of those things that I can get used to. Docked is good visually

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I had a go today, I have not played a smash bros since the original some years ago.

Now obviously I know the basics of the game but damn it could do with a training mode or something because I aint got a clue what ime doing and getting my ass beat most of the time!

I have unlocked a few characters but only won about 25% of my fights.

Its very nice graphically and the stages are interesting all be it a bit hectic sometimes with lots of traps and ways to die before realising wtf happened lol

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I had a go today, I have not played a smash bros since the original some years ago.

Now obviously I know the basics of the game but damn it could do with a training mode or something because I aint got a clue what ime doing and getting my ass beat most of the time!

I have unlocked a few characters but only won about 25% of my fights.

Its very nice graphically and the stages are interesting all be it a bit hectic sometimes with lots of traps and ways to die before realising wtf happened lol

It's a bit more advanced than the original one. Someone made a 52-page color manual that can be printed for those who aren't as familiar.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...os-ultimate-manual-is-a-tribute-to-a-lost-art

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

famicommander

15 Year Member
The most useful Smash tip for a new player is to use the face buttons to jump rather than pressing up on the analog stick. This allows you to use the stick to more precisely influence your direction of travel or pull off attacks.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
I still prefer moving the stick up to jump, I need my other thumb for pressing the attack buttons.