Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) Thread

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
This is the first version of smash that I am trying to dedicate some time to. So far I have only discovered I really am bad at it. I am struggling to get used to the controls. I am more used to traditional fighting game controls. I am also not sure which character I will go with. So far I am liking Kirby and Simon Belmont.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Ime in the same boat ice.

I have unlocked about 8 other characters so far and seem to be having the most luck with Bowser or Mario.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I've noticed that SNK is mentioned in the credits...maybe we're getting a SNK character in the second challenger pack?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Oooh I hope it’s tranny terry bogard

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I hope it's Rasputin from World Heroes, the premier neo geo fighting game series.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I've noticed that SNK is mentioned in the credits...maybe we're getting a SNK character in the second challenger pack?

Nice catch! An snk character debut in smash would be pretty awesome indeed. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Two Final Fantasy songs in the game.

Meanwhile, Castlevania gets over two hours worth of music and Mega Man got 17 new remixes.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Everyone make sure and register your copies so you can get the Piranha Plant dlc for free when it comes.

Speaking of dlc- the first character has been announced if anyone else missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7z1Ny1kc6g

I having a ton of fun with the game so far. Spirit mode is really fun and challenging. I'm playing with the joy cons and handheld mode and it controls pretty good although I do have some issues at times. It is nice to have all the stages from the Gamecube version, as that is the version I've played the most by a huge margin. I do miss coin battles, why was that taken out?

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Everyone make sure and register your copies so you can get the Piranha Plant dlc for free when it comes.

Speaking of dlc- the first character has been announced if anyone else missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7z1Ny1kc6g

I having a ton of fun with the game so far. Spirit mode is really fun and challenging. I'm playing with the joy cons and handheld mode and it controls pretty good although I do have some issues at times. It is nice to have all the stages from the Gamecube version, as that is the version I've played the most by a huge margin. I do miss coin battles, why was that taken out?

Ugh...I still have to register...do you just like log into the eshop and do something? Also what the heck were coin battles?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Ugh...I still have to register...do you just like log into the eshop and do something? Also what the heck were coin battles?
On your switch main menu before opening the game, highlight it and press + to open some options. It should be the last or bottom option to register your game to your Nintendo username

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Coin battles were timed battles where the goal was to collect the most coins possibles. Coins were produced by attacking opponents, more damage dealt produced more coins. It was pretty fun to play every now and again

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I know this is just me, but I just don't get this game.

I think I really liked the one on the Wii because it had that little Emissary game inside it. But the Spirits game in this is basically the standard game as its "levels."

I'm no fighting game champion, never won any tournaments or even really got into competitive play, so I can't say "oh this isn't a true fighter" or whatever. But I was OK at street fighter, mortal kombat, tekken 3, etc. But this (these?) Smash games just don't play like fighters, or at least the fighters I'm accustomed to.

As an example it's just so random, to me. I try to get these hits in, and I've tried to learn to use the jump button, the tilt attacks and so on, but it's just not making any sense. I'll be wailing away at somone and all of a sudden boom, I get that closeup and "defeat!" screen.

What the fuck, I was just destroying the 15th jigglypuff on the screen, I got like 40% bar, and I'm thrown across the screen.

Its just not my thing. Like I mentioned, I think I must have just liked the Wii version because of the little platforming game on it. I honestly can't remember actually playing "arcade mode."

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I wouldn't compare smash to a "serious" fighting game. Get some IRL friends, couple of beers or some weed and have fun. With items and all, not just final destination and fox only.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I wouldn't compare smash to a "serious" fighting game. Get some IRL friends, couple of beers or some weed and have fun. With items and all, not just final destination and fox only.
Well, I didn't really mean it to be compared, but I'm just not having fun with it because there's no rhyme or reason to it. It's just completely random (or so it seems).

I think I get a feel for how this or that works and then a simple punch from my opponent and game over, and I'm like OK I just threw all kinds of shit your way and it ALL connected, but I'm suddenly flying into the background lol!

Obviously I suck at the game and I may come back to it later but for now I just cleared some space on my card.