Is the retro gaming “fad” dying down?

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Just curious to hear everyone’s opinion on this. It seems to me the whole “retro gaming” fad is starting to dwindle down. I’ve been noticing a few things that haven’t happened since the price explosions around the turn of the decade. I know everyone here are not “collectors” but I would guess most are aware of the landscape of this hobby.

1. Declining amount of new gamers- I’ve noticed everywhere that gaming forums are slowing down, there seems to not be many new members coming around and most that are around have been in the hobby for years.

2. Decline of price spikes- For a few years games would be increasing in prices by huge % in a few days time. Prices haven’t really decline, but are not increasing like they were. Nes has especially cooled off

3. People getting out of the hobby/stores closing- It seems many people are selling their games and either going the everdrive route or are completely leaving the hobby. I have read about a number of brick and mortar stores closing down also.

I’m not sure if this hobby will ever go back to where it was before but it seems to me the fly-by-might collectors are leaving and I don’t think that is a bad thing. And with everdrives do we need all of these games anyway? What is everyone observing from their area?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Just curious to hear everyone’s opinion on this. It seems to me the whole “retro gaming” fad is starting to dwindle down. I’ve been noticing a few things that haven’t happened since the price explosions around the turn of the decade. I know everyone here are not “collectors” but I would guess most are aware of the landscape of this hobby.

1. Declining amount of new gamers- I’ve noticed everywhere that gaming forums are slowing down, there seems to not be many new members coming around and most that are around have been in the hobby for years.

2. Decline of price spikes- For a few years games would be increasing in prices by huge % in a few days time. Prices haven’t really decline, but are not increasing like they were. Nes has especially cooled off

3. People getting out of the hobby/stores closing- It seems many people are selling their games and either going the everdrive route or are completely leaving the hobby. I have read about a number of brick and mortar stores closing down also.

I’m not sure if this hobby will ever go back to where it was before but it seems to me the fly-by-might collectors are leaving and I don’t think that is a bad thing. And with everdrives do we need all of these games anyway? What is everyone observing from their area?

I don't think its dying down - it's starting to stagnate because all of these people are moving into arcade hardware. That sector is absolutely retarded.

Physical stores are closing because their "price like eBay, trade like GameStop" business model is fucking terrible.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm still going strong. It used to be that the video game collectors/dealers didn't show up to my yard sale until about noon.

Now, they are emailing me trying to get me to sell to them in the days before the sale (which I refuse) and lining up at 7 AM.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I don't think its dying down - it's starting to stagnate because all of these people are moving into arcade hardware. That sector is absolutely retarded.

Physical stores are closing because their "price like eBay, trade like GameStop" business model is fucking terrible.

^This.

The retro hardware craze has gotten so expensive, most are moving onto cabs, as the thirst for arcade stuff is at an all time high. People now are cashing out and going the ED route because these derps are paying these retarded high prices. I'm looking at cutting my genesis and pce stuff in half soon.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
That’s interesting. I don’t own any arcade stuff yet (although I do want a candy cab). Is the increase pretty much everything or only popular titles?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
That’s interesting. I don’t own any arcade stuff yet (although I do want a candy cab). Is the increase pretty much everything or only popular titles?

Most anything jamma, and crt candies are way on the rise. Even non jamma stuff is up there now, stuff like golden axe and altered beast are good examples.

Edit: however a lot are jumping in without doing any research and/or unrealistic expectations. You aren't going to get a super mint candy in 2018 with 0 burn, ect. They aren't expecting to put in the work.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm looking at cutting my genesis and pce stuff in half soon.

BCe2G_SCYAAvijA.jpg

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
MKII was at most a $60 game working with a soundboard a few years back. Now you can't touch it for less than $200. Even the shit games like Superman have skyrocketed.

With ready-made superguns exploding and lighting up the scene like a house fire tho, it was only really a matter of time.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Not sure if it's actually dying down, but have been thinking about this as well.
The retro scene has always been like this - prices go up and down all the time.
I do think that the objects of desire will change over time. Like, most people here are in their mid-30's and up and actually grew up with NES, SNES, PCE, GENESIS and the almighty NeoGeo. Most of us now have disposable income to burn so that would explain why 8 bit/16 bit retro consoles and games are at peak market prices right now. Arcade stuff also, although I think that arcade PCB's is in a category of their own. What happens when we grow too old to be interested in that stuff? No idea!
What I always wonder about is if this cycle will repeat itself with 32 bit systems and up. Sure, a lot of games on PSX and Saturn already command insane prices but what about common titles? Will they go up and if so, when?
I guess that as long as there are physical game and console releases, there will a collector's market.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It seems many people are selling their games and either going the everdrive route or are completely leaving the hobby.

The everdrive route is mostly about playing and/or modding, both not really collector friendly, while leaving the hobby just means, that the shelf is full. Guilty is right, it's rather moving, than leaving. Not only to collect AC stuff, but also current gen retail releases, like indie games, limited editions of AAAs or pure video game related merchandise.

Classic stuff is scarce in the open, but changes owners regularly in a strictly private manner, so no one notices. There'll always be that one game you never owned and seek for your collection, so it's probably never be a complete leaving. Not as long as video games prolong their presence as the #1 in the entertainment business anyway.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
If you look at Ebay. 32bit is already there. Common saturn garbage goes for $30. A fool and their money.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Probably not dying down, but it's likely cooling off. Just like many other collectibles. Sure you can play games, but the majority of retro gamers acquire for a collection.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
As long as people like metalFaggotSucks and others keep talking about it: no, it's not dying down.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I hope it is to some extent so the prices will come down to more "normal" levels.
The prices of some stuff has got insane but I was having a convo about this kind of think with a bloke at work the other day.
Hes in his 60's and is into military automotive memorabilia, He was saying the prices of stuff over the last 20 years has sky rocketed but all the guys collecting it are 50+so what happens when they die off? The stuff will probably be worthless as the people who want it become less and less.

I suspect it will be the same with gaming stuff in the future, As us "old'uns" kick the bucket the next generations will have less and less interest in 8/16 bit gaming.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I really hope so. The crash has been a day I've been waiting a long time for.

With ready-made superguns exploding and lighting up the scene like a house fire tho, it was only really a matter of time.

nGMrD.gif

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I think what has been stated above with regards to what people grew up with is what is in demand. I didn't have an Atari or Intellivision, I had an uncle that had a coleco and that was about it so those systems hold little interest to me. So the NES was my first system on, but the 16 bit era was the prime time for me. I think the "kids" today that are about to turn 30 that grew up with the N64, PS1, and Saturn to a lesser extent once they get disposable income this is where the market and demand will go. Obviously there are some classics in the previous eras that will always be in demand especially if they are teh rarez, but as the older generations dedicate more of their life to other endeavors such as homes, children, other hobbies, or have had their fill with gaming in general the people with the disposable income (no kids) who are still into video games will dictate where the market goes.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

That makes sense. Most people picking up old games are old gamers that were around for them. The gamers that weren't around for them are a minority, and they aren't "growing" to be a majority.

Collectors (and sellers) are moving on to other things. Arcade games being one area, as mentioned. The "plateau" on prices would eventually happen.

The fly-by-nights were the people with short attention spans and those wanting to make a quick buck. The shelf queens will keep selling amongst themselves as someone will always look for their "grail."

It's true, and that's from someone who jumped in 3 years ago. I'm probably part of the problem.

Even the shit games like Superman have skyrocketed.

Do you still have it?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
...and another thing,
talk to the existing retro retailers. They will tell you the price has settled on NES, but creeped up on PS2 and Xbox. PS3 will likely follow in the next 10 years.

Most of the stores going out of business never had a chance in the first place. You need massive influx of games to maintain a retro retail store.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The retro craze is not dying. For every older collector selling up there are more n00bs taking their place. Forum activity is dropping because youngsters prefer social media. The economy is strong and people have money to burn. Another recession will drive prices back down.

...and another thing,
talk to the existing retro retailers. They will tell you the price has settled on NES, but creeped up on PS2 and Xbox. PS3 will likely follow in the next 10 years.

Most of the stores going out of business never had a chance in the first place. You need massive influx of games to maintain a retro retail store.

Will people really want to collect half finished games when updates are no longer available?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Will people really want to collect half finished games when updates are no longer available?

Is that really the strangest thing in collectardism? People will pay thousands of dollars more for Neo games because of what paper it comes with. Cave collectors spend more for a cardboard box than some entire cabs cost. I can see people collecting Xbox One games at some point to have something "real" even though they're loading a pirated copy they downloaded off the internet since you can't really use the disc.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Forums in general have less traffic but check Facebook.

Updates for ps3 and 360 games will be downloaded like any rom.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Sadly, I have to agree w/wyo. Obviously if I could predict the future I'd be on a beach right now, but I don't see much collectibility in the post PS2 era. Well, maybe 3DS games. I keep thinking the pre-crash era prices will...crash (HEYYOOOOOOOOO), but that's not the case from what I've seen. Even the millennials seem to want to collect that stuff even though most of it is garbage. It's fun to revisit some of those oldies for nostalgia's sake, but I honestly don't see the appeal of most of that crap if you didn't grow up with it. Same with the NES. 99% of that library is dog shit. PC-E -> PS2 is teh sweet spot. Aside from the CD-i (sorry fanny).