Terry Bogard in Fighting EX Layer

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Terry in SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy, then a few days later Terry in Fighting EX Layer. There's a Super Smash Bros. Nintendo direct in 2 days. am I being too hopeful & seeing a pastern where there isn't any?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Terry in SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy, then a few days later Terry in Fighting EX Layer. There's a Super Smash Bros. Nintendo direct in 2 days. am I being too hopeful & seeing a pastern where there isn't any?

It would be awesome. There are already quite a few third party characters:
Solid Snake (Konami)
Bayonetta (SEGA)
Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA)
Pac-Man (Namco)
Ryu (Capcom)
Mega Man (Capcom)
Cloud Strife (Square)

And Tag Frenzy is coming to Switch, so there's a promotional reason there.

Terry isn't on the level of those other characters recognition-wise besides Bayonetta, but her series went Nintendo exclusive so that makes sense she'd be in it. So that's the other side of it.

They probably won't be releasing the entire roster before launch anyway. Some of the Smash 4 characters weren't discovered until someone broke the street date on the 3DS retail copy.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Terry has more of reason to be there than Cloud from Final fantasy 7 does. After that happened I think hey threw out the whole "this character needs to be well established on nintendo systems" thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Dante from the Devil may cry series at this point. Nintendo Vs. CAPCOM coming fall 2022.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Terry has more of reason to be there than Cloud from Final fantasy 7 does. After that happened I think hey threw out the whole "this character needs to be well established on nintendo systems" thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Dante from the Devil may cry series at this point. Nintendo Vs. CAPCOM coming fall 2022.

Cloud was at least in a Kingdom Hearts game on a Nintendo system, but yeah, he's not associated with Nintendo in general. The difference is, though, that Cloud is a much more recognizable character than Terry. He's in because he's arguably the most recognizable character from Square, which is one of the major publishers in the industry.

Besides Bayonetta, the characters they took from third parties are the most iconic ones. Mega Man and Ryu from Capcom, Sonic from SEGA, Pac-Man from Namco. Bayonetta is an exception because Nintendo actually funded and published Bayonetta 2, even though SEGA still owns the license.