Any former Mac users now in the PC world?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Opposite way round for me. I didn't play Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy 7 till years after release thinking they would be dog turd. I'll admit I was wrong.

Heh, I’m not a fan of either of those games... arcade games are my main interest... I’m not even a huge panzer dragoon saga fan. I do like twisted metal games on PS1 though.

As for PC and Mac... I’ve owned a few macs, but mainly PowerPC models from when I was a kid... early 2000s stuff.. if I had to chose, I’d rather have a PC with windows XP or windows ME even over one of those, however newer Macintosh’s are more flexible and I’d rather have a current Mac than a current pc running the newest version of Windows (fuck modern windows)

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Heh, I’m not a fan of either of those games... arcade games are my main interest... I’m not even a huge panzer dragoon saga fan. I do like twisted metal games on PS1 though.

MGS and FF 7 are basically interactive movies, before that was a thing (Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls). They are good ways to waste time, but not as challenging as your arcadey games of skill. It depends on if you are playing a game to get better, or just playing a game for the sake of forgetting about your misrible existance because the man is a cunt, you're not being paid enough, the neighbour's dog barks all the fucking time, there is not enough beer in the fridge and your football team sucks balls.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
As for PC and Mac... I’ve owned a few macs, but mainly PowerPC models from when I was a kid... early 2000s stuff.. if I had to chose, I’d rather have a PC with windows XP or windows ME even over one of those, however newer Macintosh’s are more flexible and I’d rather have a current Mac than a current pc running the newest version of Windows (fuck modern windows)

Brah, vintage Windows only. Retro. How are your Mac Classics doing? Having lots of fun with those?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've occasionally picked up "broken" Mac's for cheap/free, fixed them & then turned around and sold them. My main work computer is a Mac, but other then that I don't use them for anything else. I'm in the IT field and have been working on both Apple and non-Apple(Linux/Windows) PC's for quite some time now.
There's nothing I can do on an Apple computer that I can't do in Windows. Not to mention that when you buy an Apple, you're mainly paying for the "OS" and the "style/looks". For instance, the new $2,799.99 15" Macbook Pro. It's an 8th generation i7-8550u processor, 16gb ddr4 memory, 512gb ssd, Radeon Pro 560x video.
Yet you can get a Windows 10 based laptop with a 15.6" screen, i7-8750h processor(better cpu), 16gb ddr4 memory, 512gb ssd, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti(much better video card) for around $1,100.

Also, everything is integrated into the logic board(motherboard) on Macbooks since 2016. So no upgrading the ssd or memory(or anything else for that matter). If any 1 component fails... guess what? you have to replace the whole thing(including top case as that's synced with the logic board). In case you're wondering about data recovery(due to logic board damage).... on the 2016 & 2017 models, there's a proprietary connector on the logic board in which only an Apple technician, using proprietary hardware is able to potentially recover your data. Apple has since removed that connector on the new 2018 models. Meaning there is no more data recovery. Apple expects you to regularly backup your data with iCloud.

I know all this(and a lot more) because I'm an Apple ACiT & ACMT technician.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Not to mention that when you buy an Apple, you're mainly paying for the "OS" and the "style/looks". For instance, the new $2,799.99 15" Macbook Pro. It's an 8th generation i7-8550u processor, 16gb ddr4 memory, 512gb ssd, Radeon Pro 560x video.
Yet you can get a Windows 10 based laptop with a 15.6" screen, i7-8750h processor(better cpu), 16gb ddr4 memory, 512gb ssd, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti(much better video card) for around $1,100.

In a portable, at least, the extra cost of the Apple machine gets you a much better physical design, nicer built-in peripherals, and well-integrated power management. The pure computational power isn't anything special, but everything else about an Apple laptop is unmatched. I would give anything for a PC laptop that didn't look like a bulging plastic tumor and heat up like a toaster. Somehow "make a metal square" is unfathomably difficult for every other manufacturer.

(Caveat: I haven't even tried to buy a laptop in about 4 years because the non-Apple options were so bad.)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
In a portable, at least, the extra cost of the Apple machine gets you a much better physical design, nicer built-in peripherals, and well-integrated power management. The pure computational power isn't anything special, but everything else about an Apple laptop is unmatched. I would give anything for a PC laptop that didn't look like a bulging plastic tumor and heat up like a toaster. Somehow "make a metal square" is unfathomably difficult for every other manufacturer.

(Caveat: I haven't even tried to buy a laptop in about 4 years because the non-Apple options were so bad.)

Agreed. When I do use a PC laptop, the battery lasts for maybe 90 minutes. On my MBP I can work from 10AM to 7PM doing normal productivity stuff, light Photoshopping and typesetting without recharging. And when I do need to recharge, I just put it aside for 30-45 min and I'm back up to 75%.

I think cdamm said it a few years ago - use a trackpad on MacBook and it'll tell you everything you need to know about Apple's build quality.