Metal Slug 4 is best of series

capnd77

Marked Wolf
4 is easily the weakest of the bunch, that being said It's still better than most other 2D run and gun games.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
MS4 is shit.

It was shit back in 2002.

It was still shit in 2012.

It'll still be shit in 2022.

etc. etc. etc.

As a run and gun game on its own, it may have some mediocre merits, but as part of the series it's awful. There's no craftsmanship to it... it's just a glorified homebrew hack with zero charm, dull gameplay, and features that add nothing to the game itself (monkey mode - why?) and some of the worst slugs (I know, let's take one of the sewer crawlers from Slug 2 and turn its sprite into an actual Metal Slug - genius!).

Bottom line... game is shit.

MSX>MS1>MS2>MS3>MS5>LoSJ>Fight Fever>Rise of the Robots>ET>MS4

Lol Tarma keeping it real years later. And Yes Metal Slug 4 is fucking dog shit.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
hahahah 4 is awful - I think the only people liking it or saying it's good are people who play it for 5 minutes on Raspberry Pi before exiting out to play something else for 3 seconds.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
That MS4 review is a complete joke and anyone who thinks 5 is better than 3 clearly has no clue...

I played through 5 last week and thought it was mediocre at best. The way enemies would come on to the screen was just poorly thought out, sliding from a still crouching position just looks odd and the final boss encounter was nothing special.

3 is an epic masterpiece! I bought that game on release and was amazed to play through a game like that on a console that was 10 years old at the time. Something like that will never happen again...

MS1, 2, X & 3 are the only ones worth having in your collection.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
MS1, 2, X & 3 are the only ones worth having in your collection.
1, X and 5 are all one needs. Once you play the last mission in 3 there's no point in going through that monstrosity ever again.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
1, X and 5 are all one needs. Once you play the last mission in 3 there's no point in going through that monstrosity ever again.

This is the biggest issue with 3 - the final stage is waaaay too big... really don't know why they didn't split it into two separate levels... and even then, it wouldn't be a better or more rewarding game than X.

Slug 5 could've been pretty decent if they'd bothered to finish it properly... which is kind of ironic that a two-thirds finished game (5) is still streets ahead of the turd that is 4.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
MS1 and MSX are where it's at. After that things go off the rails in a bad bad way. MS4 is dumpster fire.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I can't take that Retronauts article seriously. If it doesn't involve Nintendo or a JRPG, they're way out of their element.

I do think MS4 gets a bad rap, but it really does feel like a ROM hack due to the reused sprites. That being said, I do agree that MS3 is bloated & overstays its welcome, and MS4 is better in that regard (only).

Really though X is the pinnacle of the series IMHO, and 5 (tho unfinished) is really awesome.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
MS1 4lyfe

Honestly tho second best is X, 3 doesn’t appeal to me at all. The others are just ok, none are bad games.

Last edited:

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
I really enjoyed MS3's final stage. Yes, I thought it was quite long but for me that's not a bad thing...

Why was MS5 unfinished?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Come on, 4 ain't that bad. You get to fight Dr. Wily at the end and it has awesome music. WTF else can you ask for?

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
3 has no intro jingle, it says it all.

Yes, that always bothered me as well. But what’s interesting is that the games title was intended to be announced on the title screen, just like the previous metal slugs (1,2, & X) but for whatever reason, (mistake or programmer error) it was never coded properly. (as the sound sample is actually found in the games rom data)

Granted, MS4 is the worst. No doubt. But, one thing I will always give it credit for, is for at least having an intro sequence. Slug 1 had a very brief intro, but at least it had one. Then afterwards, for some reason no others did.