GameStop Cancelling Elite Pro Membership, Today is the last day to renw

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Quick PSA for anyone who shops at GameStop, they are cancelling their Elite Pro tier (20% off used, 20% bonus on trades) as of August 1st. Today anyone can up their membership another year. Hate to see it go as it has been more than worth the cost for me this year

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
giphy.gif

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Huh. I dunno if it's Raines being gone or what but GS sure seems to try new shit and then abandon it fast these days.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Huh. I dunno if it's Raines being gone or what but GS sure seems to try new shit and then abandon it fast these days.

Isn't this the same deal as always, just under a different name? Their card + Game Informer subscription has always been 20% off plus an additional 20% trade-in value. IIRC they've been doing this since the early 2000s.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Isn't this the same deal as always, just under a different name? Their card + Game Informer subscription has always been 20% off plus an additional 20% trade-in value. IIRC they've been doing this since the early 2000s.

Of their memberships, Pro (the $15 a year one) is 10% off; Elite Pro ($30 a year) is 20% off. Elite Pro is now going away.

Oh, well. I'm up next November. Good for trading in, but not much else.

fake

15 Year Member
Of their memberships, Pro (the $15 a year one) is 10% off; Elite Pro ($30 a year) is 20% off. Elite Pro is now going away.

Oh, well. I'm up next November. Good for trading in, but not much else.

Gotcha. Didn't know there were multiple tiers now.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
With Best Buy discontinuing GCU, and Amazon nerfing prime discounts, I feel like there will be an uptick in the number of people who wait until a price drop to first get a game. Totally anecdotal, but it's a theory.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

It's a dying business. They are trying many new things to try and keep it all going.

Pre-order exclusives are probably the only thing keeping them afloat.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
With Best Buy discontinuing GCU, and Amazon nerfing prime discounts, I feel like there will be an uptick in the number of people who wait until a price drop to first get a game. Totally anecdotal, but it's a theory.

That's definitely me. In the past I usually waited for a new game to hit $30 or under, but with the 20% off between Amazon and Best Buy I've been splurging and getting more games right at or near release the past few years. I'm perfectly fine going back to waiting, it will save me money in the long run.

fake

15 Year Member
I typically wait for a buy 2 get 1 at Target.

In terms of it being a dying industry, I think software sales could get rougher for this upcoming generation. After that, I doubt there will even be retail media. That said, broadband usage has dipped 10 percentage points over the past few years, from 75% of the US having broadband to now 65%. If the adoption rate isn't there, the console makers may not have the balls to go download-only. I hope they do though. Games have mostly lost their collectability in my eyes, and I can't wait for GameStop to go out of business.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I don't always love Gamestops practices, but they are the only retailer in town for a lot of places and people other than Walmart. I loved Best Buys GCU and the past few years have used it a bunch for new games (especially the 3DS B1G50) but for things I've missed when it came out (Vita stuff especially right now) Gamestop is a good place to get it. I can drive 10 mins to Gamestop to pick up a used game which sure beats driving an hour plus to an independent game store

I also don't know if retail games will go away for awhile- too many people with terrible internet who would never be able to get them downloaded.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yes nothing like paying them more money to get $2 a transaction. Utilizing Gamestop is for tards. Sell the game for on a forum or ebay.