Gameboy (DMG, DMG-01, MGB-001 *** NOT AGS-001, AGS-101 or CGB-001) role playing games?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
hahaha I get it, I'm frustrated with plenty of stuff in this hobby...like when people call the standard version of a game "vanilla"...drives me up the fucking wall...but original Gameboys are LITERALLY "DMGs"...it's almost the scientific term for them. But on the other hand, it's like calling them Vanilla Gameboys....so I get it.

I don't like "DMG" because it's a example of people in a hobby feeling the need to have their own little language because it makes them feel cool. (Not saying that you're doing that, but I think that's how the term gained a foothold on places like Reddit.) No one said DMG until retrogaming went pseudo-mainstream with the hipster/millennial crowd, and nobody outside of that scene knows what a DMG is. People try to use the excuse that the term exists to avoid confusion as to which model someone is referring to, but that's horeshit.

There was only one Game Boy. Everything else is a "Game Boy ________", just as DZ outlined. And if you want to avoid clarification questions, just say "original Game Boy", because that is completely unambiguous. "DMG" only works if the person that you're talking to is just as much of a hipster millennial scumbag as you are.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’ve never had a problem understanding a Gameboy to be anything other than old, brick Gameboy.

Maybe it’s the younger fagits that had the Gameboy Advance as their first ‘Gameboy’ then decided to call that console ‘a Gameboy’. But, that’s their fault for being a tard.

DMG - terminology for DaMaGed brains.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
- Great Greed is a fun little Namco turn-based RPG where everything is food-themed.
- Ultima: Runes of Virtue 1/2. Overhead action RPGs. Kind of rough/basic but okay if you like the franchise. Dungeons have lots of puzzles.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I don't like "DMG" because it's a example of people in a hobby feeling the need to have their own little language because it makes them feel cool. (Not saying that you're doing that, but I think that's how the term gained a foothold on places like Reddit.) No one said DMG until retrogaming went pseudo-mainstream with the hipster/millennial crowd, and nobody outside of that scene knows what a DMG is. People try to use the excuse that the term exists to avoid confusion as to which model someone is referring to, but that's horeshit.

There was only one Game Boy. Everything else is a "Game Boy ________", just as DZ outlined. And if you want to avoid clarification questions, just say "original Game Boy", because that is completely unambiguous. "DMG" only works if the person that you're talking to is just as much of a hipster millennial scumbag as you are.

Truth. I just got sucked in, since I was doing so much modding and dealing with people like Kitsch-Bent and that whole chiptune crowd...which also probably fall under that hipster bracket you speak of. Old habits, yada yada

- Great Greed is a fun little Namco turn-based RPG where everything is food-themed.
- Ultima: Runes of Virtue 1/2. Overhead action RPGs. Kind of rough/basic but okay if you like the franchise. Dungeons have lots of puzzles.

I have Great Greed, the translation is so bad it's a chore to really get into it. I need to give it another chance. Ultima sounds promising.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've never played the Japanese original, so I have no idea what might have been changed, but I thought the dialogue/story flowed fairly well in Great Greed. Probably the most noteworthy thing about the game is the ending, where you can literally marry anyone in the throne room that you want, male or female (the hero is a guy). You can steal the king's wife, marry the king himself, any of his daughters (even the one who already has a fiancé), etc. Some of them will put up some resistance, but, if you persist, they'll all give in.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Survival Kids (GBC) is a decent RPG survival game, if you're into that kinda thing. Worth checking out.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Survival Kids (GBC) is a decent RPG survival game, if you're into that kinda thing. Worth checking out.
Make sure you don't read the thread title before responding.

On topic, I was always a fan of the Konami games (Fall of the Foot, Operation C, Nemesis, etc.), though the re-released collections on GBC might make most of them somewhat obsolete a la Link's Awakening. Tetris Attack is always a winner.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been trying to beat Operation C for the past few weeks. I get to the end but the boss kicks my ass.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Final Fantasy Legend 2 and Final Fantasy Adventure are among the best games of this console. But since you already know about them ...

Gargoyle's Quest is a great action-RPG (very light RPG elements), I finished it last winter. The controls are very good.

Link's Awakening, but I'd choose the GBC version.

Dragon Quest I & II can be played in B&W, even if it's a GBC title. A must have !

I imagine the Pokemon games... I was never into them, don't know why.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Make sure you don't read the thread title before responding.

On topic, I was always a fan of the Konami games (Fall of the Foot, Operation C, Nemesis, etc.), though the re-released collections on GBC might make most of them somewhat obsolete a la Link's Awakening. Tetris Attack is always a winner.

"Gameboy (DMG, DMG-01, MGB-001 *** NOT AGS-001, AGS-101 or CGB-001) role playing games?"

How does Fall of the Foot, Operation C, Nemesis, Tetris Attack relate to Role Playing Games hmmm?

Survival Kids is actually listed as a RPG Survival game. Try to pay attention.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
"Gameboy (DMG, DMG-01, MGB-001 *** NOT AGS-001, AGS-101 or CGB-001) role playing games?"

How does Fall of the Foot, Operation C, Nemesis, Tetris Attack relate to Role Playing Games hmmm?

Survival Kids is actually listed as a RPG Survival game. Try to pay attention.

hahaha yes, you got the idea. Survival Kids looks interesting too. Thanks for the recommendation.