Stupid question, is a higher than recommended amerage ok for a PSU.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Used to this from PC building where you want to make sure the PSU supplies enough amps at each voltage. I'm looking at sourcing a power supply for a CMVS and I kind of want to build it into the enclosure rather than having an external brick or wallwart. My current CMVS uses a 5v 3a inline brick style PSU, but after someone used the wrong one and friend my CMVS I'm really tempted to build the PSU into it and just plug in a direct AC line like a modern game console.

I can buy little internal 5v 3a PSUs for $15 which seem great, but I also have a whole stack of old apple TVs at work with these great little 5v 7.2a PSU's in them. Would there be anything wrong with something that supplies that much power? outside of heat obviously. If I put an internal PSU in a CMVS I would make sure it has vents, or a small fan.

BTW a MV-1C board kinda fits in the original apple TV enclosure. I challenge someone. The big silver one on the left. https://www.imore.com/sites/imore.c...image/2014/01/apple_tv_3_generations_hero.jpg

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
A higher amperage PSU, simply means it CAN support a higher draw at a specific output voltage. Provided your voltage and polarity are correct, no harm will come from a using a say, 6000amp capable 5v power supply. It's what it's capable of delivering, not what is always outputting, the end device (CMVS' power circuit) determines the amp draw.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Thanks, good to know. In the end I might just buy new ones at ~3a, but these apple TV PSU's are nice and compact and free!