Next Phantasy Star game is going to be a phone app

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hello.

I recently saw this and lost it. I think it's a terrible thing to do to such an amazing franchise. PS has incredible potential. I don't understand the motivation for this. Sega...fix yourself.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Hello!

Just chiming in to say this thread is pretty funny.

Also, I have no idea what's going on, but I'd imagine that the "phone app" is going to be a glorified gacha game. Whether that's good for the series or not, depends on who you ask..? From what I can tell, gacha style games are proving to be a really favorable form of JRPG. I've never played one and I don't think I will until I'm a senior citizen.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
How does it feel to see everything you hold dear turn into shit?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I kinda felt something like this was gonna happen when Sega put out that survey about interest in existing ip’s last year. Can’t wait for Fatal Labyrinth Slots.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't understand the motivation for this.

The motivation is that Sega makes money cashing in on old franchises, but they haven't had the talent to make a good Phantasy Star game in decades. Phone apps are quick and easy money.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The motivation is that Sega makes money cashing in on old franchises, but they haven't had the talent to make a good Phantasy Star game in decades. Phone apps are quick and easy money.

Hey I quite liked the original Phantasy Star Online. That was released only... 17 years ago... Fuck.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey I quite liked the original Phantasy Star Online. That was released only... 17 years ago... Fuck.

Yeah. PSO was the tits. I'm not sure why they couldn't keep going with it. When I see PS advertised like Candy Crush it's going to hurt...real bad.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Still pissed PSO2 didn’t come out in the US. I never got a chance to play the original PSO during its original run and I was looking forward to trying PSO2. Sega sucks.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Hello.

I recently saw this and lost it. I think it's a terrible thing to do to such an amazing franchise. PS has incredible potential. I don't understand the motivation for this. Sega...fix yourself.

Same thing just happened to Shin Megami Tensei and Star Ocean. It's inevitable. But it does suck balls, yes.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Still pissed PSO2 didn’t come out in the US. I never got a chance to play the original PSO during its original run and I was looking forward to trying PSO2. Sega sucks.

The original PSO was so good. It really was the the model for what good, console-based, online gaming could be. Sega had so many things figured out. We should be crushing good PS games, OutRun should still be rocking in some form, and Golden Axe shouldn't be the dumpster fire it became...and where the hell is a new Streets of Rage? Why couldn't they take Hang On, get it a MotoGP license, and give us a great online motorcycle racing game? Sega! Are you listening? I have all the answers. Call me.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Its a DAMN shame we didnt get PSO2, i played with some buddies for a year on the patched version a few years back it was soooo much fun. Then again Sega America has kinda gone to shit so maybe it wouldnt have worked...

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Sega has shown recent flashes of brilliance (I guess in the last 10-15 years kind of way)...Bayonetta...the occasionally good Sonic game....Shenmue....but they could be so much more....OutRun needs a reboot...Golden Axe could be insane....Shinobi....HangOn....stop with the Total War series for a bit and get back to the really, really good stuff.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Sega has shown recent flashes of brilliance (I guess in the last 10-15 years kind of way)...Bayonetta...the occasionally good Sonic game....Shenmue....but they could be so much more....OutRun needs a reboot...Golden Axe could be insane....Shinobi....HangOn....stop with the Total War series for a bit and get back to the really, really good stuff.

I’m with you 100%. Add space harrier and Ecco to the list.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Ditto and shining force could really use a new one.First konami makes a new castlevania for mobile and now sega doing the same for phantasy star :angry: Sure i get it,mobile is huge in japan but it just shows how out of touch they are.

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Ditto and shining force could really use a new one.First konami makes a new castlevania for mobile and now sega doing the same for phantasy star :angry: Sure i get it,mobile is huge in japan but it just shows how out of touch they are.

Shinning force does get new games they're just nothing like what you'd ever want from the series.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Shinning force does get new games they're just nothing like what you'd ever want from the series.
Camelot software president has been quoted he like to make another shining force but that is up to sega.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

Bayonetta is just... ugh... the aesthetic and branding and theme and everything about it just doesnt appeal to me