Mattress Recommendations?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm at the point where it's time for a new mattress. There are so many choices out there that it's a bit overwhelming. I usually stick to the hotel / pillow top styles but I'd like to try something different and more high end. Looking to keep it under $4000 for a king.

What do you folks sleep on?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The best advice is get out and try them for yourself and see what suits you. The markup is crazy so look for a sale or negotiate. Also, take a shower and shampoo afterward, who knows what kind of degenerates like gregn were testing those mattresses out before you got there. I forget what I have, but it's got dat pimp ass pillow top. Bitches love that shit.

Also, ask Gohan's mom. She probably has more mattress experience than anyone here.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
After moving onto a memory foam pillow top it has made sleeping only about a million times better.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Just a thought regarding memory foam...I took the plunge last year on one. I can NOT sleep if it's too hot, and the memory foam does NOT breathe. I wake up in a pool of sweat even on mildly cool nights.
The only way I was able to remedy that was to buy a thick mattress pad made from bamboo fibers, and that helps me keep cool.
FWIW

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The big mistake I made was buying a mattress with a pillow top that isn't removable. It was amazing for the first few years. But now it's like sleeping on a sack of metal coils.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Thanks for all the info. Laying down on in store mattresses freaks me out because I'm afraid I'm gonna bring bed bugs home. Probably an irrational fear but the thought of finding something like that in my house makes me want to tear the skin off my face.

I'm gonna go check out some Tempurpedic and the Serta icomfort stuff this weekend. I really want a 2 chamber sleep number, but I can't justify the price.

Any of you folks tried these millennial mattresses like the Casper or Purple mattress? Reviews don't seem so hot.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Thanks for all the info. Laying down on in store mattresses freaks me out because I'm afraid I'm gonna bring bed bugs home. Probably an irrational fear but the thought of finding something like that in my house makes me want to tear the skin off my face.

I'm gonna go check out some Tempurpedic and the Serta icomfort stuff this weekend. I really want a 2 chamber sleep number, but I can't justify the price.

Any of you folks tried these millennial mattresses like the Casper or Purple mattress? Reviews don't seem so hot.

I had a gf with one of those mattresses that come in the mail. It was memory foam but I really didn't like it. It was super stiff and uncomfortable IMO. That's what she said.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

The last time I bought a mattress was at Macy's, they don't do the volume a standalone mattress store does so I didn't feel too gross laying on the mattresses. There's a mattress store downstairs from me (they're on every corner in Chicago) and the people I see in there laying on the mattresses...no thanks.

The only alternative mattress I've tried was those sleep number beds that have been in a few hotels. They're fucking horrible, I don't know how anyone sleeps on those. It's basically an air mattress that inflates/deflates. The mattress in a bag things don't look comfortable to me. Mattresses are one of the few things I can't imagine buying online.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Radical Reggie from the MJR crew knows about mattresses - he sleeps on his right on the floor.

rad reggie.png

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Skip to the 3:24 mark.

Holy fuck I thought this metal jesus guy was bad, seeing this guy spend fuckloads on all of that shit in his game room but he's practically sleeping in a cardboard box. Wow... where the fuck is your self worth!?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm at the point where it's time for a new mattress. There are so many choices out there that it's a bit overwhelming. I usually stick to the hotel / pillow top styles but I'd like to try something different and more high end. Looking to keep it under $4000 for a king.

What do you folks sleep on?

I bought my mattress at Bloomingdales. I wasn't very impressed with the products at the local mattress discounters store.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Holy fuck I thought this metal jesus guy was bad, seeing this guy spend fuckloads on all of that shit in his game room but he's practically sleeping in a cardboard box. Wow... where the fuck is your self worth!?

That's why they have moved to e-begging. They don't want to play for games anymore so they plead for donations. Funny part? Most of them don't even play the games, just make videos.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
That's why they have moved to e-begging. They don't want to play for games anymore so they plead for donations. Funny part? Most of them don't even play the games, just make videos.

I hope this minor Youtube celeb shit dies soon, if only to see the final videos of MJR / The Immortal having to sell off their collections to cover their mortgage repayments

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I bought a Simmons plush pillow top king from us-mattress.com about 5 years ago. Very happy with it and it cost $750 shipped on sale. I would put the quality at the same level some stores charge $2000-$3000 for. An equivalent model currently sells for $1000 on the site. We also had a fancy bed frame custom made which cost around $3000. The mattress sits right on the frame so there's no need for a box spring.

You can pay wildly different amounts for essentially the same mattress depending on where you shop. Buying online is obviously a risk but you can usually exchange the mattress for a different one for a small fee if you're not happy with it.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Stay a night in a high end hotel, if you like the mattress have a look at the brand and model and buy it. Good hotels spend a lot on mattresses, they know what they're buying and usually get it right. Also you get a night in a nice hotel so it's win win.