Sega Genesis cartridge caps

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Can anyone tell me if the caps used in genny carts are different depending on titles (I assume this is the case), or do they use a consistent size/type?
Found a decent copy of Alisia Dragoon for cheap and it will not play, despite the "Licensed by Sega" screen showing up.
Thought I'd try to replace the cap, but I keep forgetting to check the size.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Does the cap not have a value printed on it?

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Does the cap not have a value printed on it?

It does, but I did not write it down when I disassembled it. When I'm at home I'm busy, so just keep forgetting to re-open it.
Now I'm at work and think to order some, but can't remember what it was. D'oh!

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
TBH, I'm kind of embarrassed by that. Google has done so much work to entrench themselves as THE answer to all your questions, and I usually do go right to Google.
However, most of the time when I have a video game related question, I come here. !?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Can anyone tell me if the caps used in genny carts are different depending on titles (I assume this is the case), or do they use a consistent size/type?
Found a decent copy of Alisia Dragoon for cheap and it will not play, despite the "Licensed by Sega" screen showing up.
Thought I'd try to replace the cap, but I keep forgetting to check the size.

I think it's more likely the board or rom chip has been damaged. I've come across official Sega-made Genesis carts where some of the rom chip pins have broken away from the traces that connect them to the board edge connector. Try moving the rom chip to another board.