Tempest 4000

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I picked up Tempest 4000 last night for the Xbone and so far it as has been pretty fun. I like that there is a hidden in plain view soundtest in the credits section. Fairly impressed that there is a total of 38 songs. The soundtrack includes the original T2K sound track, plus the complete MOD soundtrack, plus most or all of the tracks from TxK. I would have enjoyed the ability to switch between the background effects that are currently in place and the background effect in Space Giraffe or the X360 audio visualizer. Just my two cents.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Long time Jeff Minter fan, here. Glad to see this one finally come out.

The PC version has a few odd foibles - keyboard support is a joke, and gameplay is tied directly to refresh rate, so folks with a 144Hz display will get something much faster than those at 60Hz.
Apart from that, though, it looks like a blast.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Hey, I forgot about this! I need to grab this.

Hey WNivek, I assume you know you can set the monitors refresh rate usually in the menus. You might wanna set windows to 60hz as well.

I had this problem with Darius Burst.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Yeah, I know how to adjust the refresh rate on my desktop. That's how I was able to verify for myself that it was actually my 120Hz screwing things up, and not just the game being a lot faster than I'd expected it to be.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I totally missed that this has already come out. I was worried it was going to be an exclusive for that shitty Atari Box thing as there is no other reason to buy one.

I played Tempest 2000 on the Saturn before on the Jaguar, so I might still prefer the remixed soundtrack... but the original mix is banging. Pretty much the only time that 'CD Quality sound' mentioned on the back of the Jaguar's box was semi-believable.

Space Giraffe has so many effects going on it was sometimes a bit hard to see what the fuck was going on, hopefully Jeff has toned it back a bit for T4K.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
This has got to be the only game ever ported from Jaguar to Vita to current gen, right?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I played Tempest 2000 on the Saturn before on the Jaguar, so I might still prefer the remixed soundtrack... but the original mix is banging. Pretty much the only time that 'CD Quality sound' mentioned on the back of the Jaguar's box was semi-believable.

Yeah, the jag version has amazing music. Honestly with many games the audio is their best feature. Which is sad.

I actually prefer the Saturn version because of the better Framerate. I know people say it doesn’t play as well, etc,but I like it.

Black IcE

15 Year Member
I am still liking the game but apparently I really stink at it because I am having a hell of a time getting past level 13. It is the first level that has the balls that shoot the bullets at you. There are a ton of spiders that come up very past as well. I watched NTM's play through video and I will see if I can eventually get past it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I am still liking the game but apparently I really stink at it because I am having a hell of a time getting past level 13. It is the first level that has the balls that shoot the bullets at you. There are a ton of spiders that come up very past as well. I watched NTM's play through video and I will see if I can eventually get past it.

It's hard as balls, no doubt. Check out the percentage of players who've gotten the various trophies/achievements, they're really low. On Xbox something like 0.7% of all players have beaten level 50, which is only halfway through the game.

Black IcE

15 Year Member
In the video i was watching, Neoturfmasta got to level 56. Seems like it will be a bit before i get there. It would be kinda nice if a difficulty selector is added.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
From what ive seen the effects are way over the top and it looks like there are no options to turn them down or off which is a dissapointment. The game looks like it could have been great, but if you're constantly struggling to see or concentrate because of all that unecessary shit covering your gameplay, its gonna get frustrating real quick.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
From what ive seen the effects are way over the top and it looks like there are no options to turn them down or off which is a dissapointment. The game looks like it could have been great, but if you're constantly struggling to see or concentrate because of all that unecessary shit covering your gameplay, its gonna get frustrating real quick.

I installed it last night and actually they’re not that annoying.

I feel like they really got the look right. It seems to have all the graphical nuances of a vector monitor, which is impressive. It also reuses all the music from Tempest 2000, which is a plus for me [emoji38]