Businesses you don't frequent out of principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Jimmy Johns - The CEO hunts endangered species; they make workers sign a waver when they fire them that they can't work in a similar industry for a period of time.

Chick Fil A - Religious right - they only serve right wings.

Papa Johns - Ex CEO is a racist and uses the N word.

Aldi's - Owned by the Koch Brothers. I'm conflicted on this one. Their prices are better on groceries, but you're supporting those right-wing billionaire assholes.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Jimmy Johns - The CEO hunts endangered species; they make workers sign a waver when they fire them that they can't work in a similar industry for a period of time.

Aldi's - Owned by the Koch Brothers. I'm conflicted on this one. Their prices are better on groceries, but you're supporting those right-wing billionaire assholes.

But... don't you hate minorities, too?

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
What would you do if the President of Frito Lay was a racist Greg? Would you look the other way for one last dance with the orange dust?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

This seems kinda bullshit and I never eat there. Wasn't the whole thing that the owner of the company being religious made it clear he simply didn't approve of gay relationships? If that's all he's done then I don't see a problem as the man is entitled to his own opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Wasn't there a story where some guy who was an executive got his ass fired for SJWing the shit out of woman at a Chik-Fil-A drive-thru while filming himself?

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This seems kinda bullshit and I never eat there. Wasn't the whole thing that the owner of the company being religious made it clear he simply didn't approve of gay relationships? If that's all he's done then I don't see a problem as the man is entitled to his own opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Which is kinda ironic, most of the people that work at Christ-Fil-A around me are openly gay.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

Wasn't there a story where some guy who was an executive got his ass fired for SJWing the shit out of woman at a Chik-Fil-A drive-thru while filming himself?

It's good chicken, bro.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Which is kinda ironic, most of the people that work at Christ-Fil-A around me are openly gay.

If that's the case and the owner doesn't care if gay people work there then I don't see the problem. It's like the man can't have an opinion of how he feels about things even if not everyone agrees with him.

Edit: I ate there a few times years and years ago and I remember the waffle fries being pretty good.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't care enough to completely avoid places now.

Sony - i had my reasons.
Walmart - the people of walmart. They actually have decent grocery selection, so I go there on occasion.

I also avoided ChickFilA for their religious backing, but I also don't like their food.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
As for Jimmy Johns, lots of places have their workers sign non-compete paperwork. Hell, my company just said I had to sign a non-compete agreement by last month. That shit has been sitting in my "to do" inbox on our company web portal for over 2 months now. I'm not touching that crap, and if they say I have to do it to keep my job I have already talked to the company I contract with who said they would take me on as their employee.

Chick-fil-A is not a concern for me anymore. Cathy is gone now even though the company funnels money into their religious based camps, the current board is not against gays. As Panda mentioned, many employees are openly gay without issue.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Non-competes are Non-enforceable in most states. especially California.

It's also not worth the company's time to come after you. These are really only there to prevent theft of execs and serious talent.
If you don't have a corner office, then I wouldn't really stress over these.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member

I call bullshit on this. I'm pretty sure employment at JJ's isnt contractual, and it's not worth a companie's time to pursue litigation against a sandwhich-maker.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

Same, and I eat at Chick-Fil-A constantly because its fucking delicious

I call bullshit on this. I'm pretty sure employment at JJ's isnt contractual, and it's not worth a companie's time to pursue litigation against a sandwhich-maker.
You're pretty much right. I'm not sure if they do it anymore, but i remember when this was called to attention by 19 year old marxists who thought their job at JJ mattered even to themselves. I'm pretty sure its a thing lots of chains write in contracts or agreements (if they still do) and they absolutely never make good on any kind of word to take legal action against you.

Just because something is written in a contract doesn't mean it makes any sense in a court of law.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Hobby Lobby. Despite what the law now apparently says (in part thanks to this company) I do believe that employers need to provide a full menu of healthcare to women.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I dont think i actively avoid any specific retailer, i just find a substitute and move on. I am getting annoyed with Amazon, their 2 day shipping rarely comes to me within 2 days, even from their warehouses and that's primarily what I use it for other than preorder discounts on games.

I remember working with someone a long time ago who would keep a running list of places that have wronged him, such as Nike, Walmart, sports stores, etc and continuously blast them on twitter and the internet for menial things. I never understood what he was getting out of it besides being angry, but to each their own.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member

Aldi's isn't owned by the Koch brothers...

Giving up Papa John's was easy, their pizza is over priced shit.

I also don't go to Chik Fil A or Hobby lobby.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I seldom avoid businesses, and even when I do, it's not for long. If I have a bad experience, I'll be grouchy and complain about it for a while, but, that's life, and I inevitably get over it and go back again.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I remember working with someone a long time ago who would keep a running list of places that have wronged him, such as Nike, Walmart, sports stores, etc and continuously blast them on twitter and the internet for menial things. I never understood what he was getting out of it besides being angry, but to each their own.

Alright Econo-Save, you just made the list!
Homersrevengelist_thumb.png

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Most of these internet fueled boycotts are complete bullshit.

Papa John did nothing wrong, just like the Netflix guy. He said an offensive word during a meeting discussing offensive words.

I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough, you could find a reason to boycott most major corporations.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member

twittwat.pngtwittwat2.pngtwittwat3.png

I would hate to be Asst. Mngr. Ed from Crestwood, Il.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Gamestop - For all reasons mentioned. In addition they sell their used consoles in blue boxes that you cannot open prior to purchase, effectively preventing you from knowing what you're getting. Not a good business practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.