Project: NeoGeo MVS perpendicular cart slot adapter for 1FZ/1B boards.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
TLDR: I'm working on making a PCB to be a plug in adapter to allow 1B and 1Fz (and potentially any other parallel cartridge motherboards) to be consolized in the same convenient style as 1C boards.

First MVS motherboard I ever bought with the intent of consolizing it was a 1Fz, it seemed like a good idea at the time, easy to mod, socketed BIOS and cheap to buy, but If you want to put it in any decent enclosure it gets really hard due to the way the cartridge mounts parallel to the board. I've been researching the connectors on the 1fz and the 1B and have determined they are the following:

1fz has 3 total plugs 2 long black plugs and one shorter white plug, the 1B only has the two black plugs.

The black plugs are made by KEL Corporation
2x - 8801-100-170L-F on the main board
2x - 8811-100-170S-F on the cartridge slot board

White plugs are made by HIROSE
1x - PCN10-48P-2.54DS(72)
1x - PCN10-48S-2.54DSA(72)

I have already received the KEL plugs and they are a perfect fit. The idea is to use one right angle, and one straight plug attached to a small PCB strip to work as an adapter between the two boards. People that have done this before have soldered ribbon cables to attach the two boards and have had issued with cable length, you will get errors if the cables are too long, thus the PCB solution for the absolute shortest distance.

crMOoc2.jpg

Basic diagram showing the position of the small adapter PCB. Issues I see so far are the possible need to add a small amount of spacing under the plugs soldered onto the adapter PCB to allow for the pins from the cartridge slot side to not bump into the original 1Fz motherboard plug. Ideally this can be made to allow the motherboard and cartridge slot board to sit perfectly level with eachother.

It seemed like a possible nice solution to consolizing these motherboards which have previously been kind of hard to deal with unless you're ok with just mounting everything on the original plastic housing, which is kind of ugly.

I'm not really gauging interest to sell these, as I don't think there would be enough interest to warrant the price, but I plan to make one for myself, and if it works out I'll post all the schematics and PCB layout on here for anyone else who wants to make them.

Another option, for those of you who LOVE de-soldering things, is to simply:lolz: de-solder the 90º plugs on the motherboard and replace them with right angle plugs like are on the cartridge slot board which will allow the two boards to plug into each other with no adapter, but the 100-pin plugs and tiny traces make the possibility for failure pretty high as many of the traces are under the plug where they cannot be seen or checked. This may only be a possibility on the 1B, as the additional white plug on the 1fz may not pair properly when converted to 90º and the two different plug types from two different companies may interfere with each other.