WHO IS AMERICA? New Showtime series from Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G, Borat, etc)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

This looks like must see TV :keke:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I saw a advert for this the other day.

Looks like his usual pisstakery :D

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Watched that preview, and was just fucking floored when the old white guy says, "Yeah, if you get to them before they know the difference between right and wrong, they make good little soldiers," talking about arming 3 and 4 year old kids.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was excited about this but disappointed in the first episode. It stretched the limits of suspendable disbelief and left me simply not believing and not enjoying.

It was his usual stuff, but it felt more like bullshit than before.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think he's lost it. 15 years ago he was perfect.

Since then I feel comedy has progressed and surpassed what Cohen has to offer.

His trolling is not interesting anymore. And this new character is him reaching somewhat, kind of bland.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If he can dupe these morons into publicly humiliating themselves and what they stand for, then good, it's a success.

It's not funny, entertaining or groundbreaking though.... meh.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Is he going to do the same character in every episode, or will he switch it around?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Seems nothing burns out faster than comedians.

This is true. I honestly think that Will Ferrell is the only actor that has managed his career very well, I would never have imagined this at the begining, he just seemed to be a regular dorky comedian. But he does seem to be quite bit more complex than this. He's quite a good seriousish actor

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think he's lost it. 15 years ago he was perfect.

Since then I feel comedy has progressed and surpassed what Cohen has to offer.

His trolling is not interesting anymore. And this new character is him reaching somewhat, kind of bland.

Based on what I've seen, he's putting out similar quality material. Don't you think it's more likely that your taste has changed from 15 years ago?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is true. I honestly think that Will Ferrell is the only actor that has managed his career very well, I would never have imagined this at the begining, he just seemed to be a regular dorky comedian. But he does seem to be quite bit more complex than this. He's quite a good seriousish actor

When comedians start doing serious roles, then their comedic career is over.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Went on facebook for the first time in a few months.

Just absolutely disgusted by the ridiculous opinions espoused by facebook friends in Virginia.

Angry about illegal immigrants despite living 1,500+ miles from Mexico. Still talking about Hillary. Still talking about Obama.

Just, low-quality people with low education.

America is in a big, BIG problem right now.

Haven't seen this show but would not be surprised at this point by anyone who is Republican/Trump because it's not about logic at this point, it's about winning. Very sad state of affairs.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

Robin Williams seemed to have made a good fist of it I thought. Before he, erm, killed himself.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

I have no interest in this tv show but when you mention Will Ferrell’s range what about his Stepbrothers partner John C. Reilly?

If you look at his filmography he has done a lot of drama: Gangs of NY, the Aviator, Thin Red Line, Boogie Nights, but he’s also done a lot of those comedic roles: Wreck it Ralph, Tim and Eric nonsense, Will Ferrell sidekick. This is only to name a few.

He’s known for his goofy roles but he’s been in some serious and deep films as well.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Based on what I've seen, he's putting out similar quality material. Don't you think it's more likely that your taste has changed from 15 years ago?

not at all. it might not be about the material in itself but an inability to adapt. his material was coherent and relevant back then, and part of the charm was that he was on the ball as to what worked at a broader scale.
my tastes have obviously changed over time, I still watch his skits as Borat and what have you and am highly impressed.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
When comedians start doing serious roles, then their comedic career is over.
that may be true in a lot of cases. but they say it takes a great actor to do comedy properly so many times the crossover is viable.
I personally like actors who can dabble in both.

Robin Williams seemed to have made a good fist of it I thought. Before he, erm, killed himself.
yeah I agree. his serious roles have been brilliant. One Hour Photo to me is an excellent film and a brilliant role by him.

I have no interest in this tv show but when you mention Will Ferrell’s range what about his Stepbrothers partner John C. Reilly?

If you look at his filmography he has done a lot of drama: Gangs of NY, the Aviator, Thin Red Line, Boogie Nights, but he’s also done a lot of those comedic roles: Wreck it Ralph, Tim and Eric nonsense, Will Ferrell sidekick. This is only to name a few.

He’s known for his goofy roles but he’s been in some serious and deep films as well.

absolutely. in fact was about to mention Reilly because he is vastly better an actor than Ferrell who is competent. and as a comedian he can pull it off masterfully.
Check It Out!, with Dr. Steve Brule is something which eclipses anything Cohen as done in the past few years.
Reilly is one of my favorite actors. if anyone is half interested in this dude, they must watch Carnage. what a good fucking film that is.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Went on facebook for the first time in a few months.

Just absolutely disgusted by the ridiculous opinions espoused by facebook friends in Virginia.

Angry about illegal immigrants despite living 1,500+ miles from Mexico. Still talking about Hillary. Still talking about Obama.

Just, low-quality people with low education.

America is in a big, BIG problem right now.

Haven't seen this show but would not be surprised at this point by anyone who is Republican/Trump because it's not about logic at this point, it's about winning. Very sad state of affairs.

Hey did you go to central asia?

If so please make a thread and tell us about it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Not really though. Williams tumbled into depression once he started taking himself seriously.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Very funny off the cuff was robin williams, a rare talent.
I remember this from the parkinson show with stephen fry, hysterical, laugh out loud funny.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Not really though. Williams tumbled into depression once he started taking himself seriously.

People like to think Robin killed himself because of depression, because it humanizes him.

Nope. He had early Lewy body dementia and assisted suicide isn't legal despite diseases that can completely change who you are, leave you immobile and you can stay alive for years just waiting to die. He made the right choice.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There're no oscars for comedians playing comedy parts either. Not that this award is worth anything per se, but as some kind of a symbolic acknowledgement it's worth noting that even Chaplin never got one, apart from the anti-christ among them, called honorary. Bill Murray never even got a nomination for Groundhog Day.

From recent years, I can only remember one comedian nomination, which Downey Jr. got for Tropic Thunder, but does he even count as a comedian? Comedians are the salt of this sore entertainment industry earth, yet fucking underappreciated by all those serious actors, playing serious roles, which are, for the most part, seriously forgettable.

Seems that the passing of a Clown is and always will be a bitter one.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member