Paper or Plastic? Talk about grocery stores in your area

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Phoenix is the LAND of Circle K's. On many corners, there's two and on one stretch of road, there's 3 of them within a half mile radius. They recently bought out a lot of the Valero gas stores so they continue to grow.

About 4 years ago, Circle K's logos showed up in Massachusetts to replace all of the "On the Run" signs in the Mobil stations that had convenience stores.

I'm pretty sure, nobody knows they're called "Circle K". The townies prob call it K-Mart if they even call it ANYTHING. My point is, they may have struck a good deal with mobil, but they're doing a shit job with branding.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I will add that there is definitely a worse and more boring convenience store. Its called Turkey Hill and afaik its limited to the southern end of Pennsylvania.

Do you think this store could meet GregN's needs?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i get baja blast and code red on occasion . well, gotta have baja blast if you're eating taco bell. i like some fucking taco bell. especially after you're finally hungry again after a drug binge

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
i get baja blast and code red on occasion . well, gotta have baja blast if you're eating taco bell. i like some fucking taco bell. especially after you're finally hungry again after a drug binge

Baja blast is the shit. Code Red I can't stomach anymore. I thought White Castle was for drug/drinking binges.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member

Baja Blast is aptly named. I get the splats every time.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
The small convenience stores are all gone. It's only the big chains left. Usually you need a car to get to them. I'm lucky to live close to two though, so I can walk and buy my groceries.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Baja blast is the shit. Code Red I can't stomach anymore. I thought White Castle was for drug/drinking binges.
you've drank so much code red that you can't stomach it anymore? what do they call someone who is inbetween an IT job and a Ford F550? A nerd? A loser....?

also white castle is for poor, uncultured people who like to consume body odor in the form of fast food. that shit is trash and it tastes like new jersey

Baja Blast is aptly named. I get the splats every time.
i think people are paranoid that everything makes them shit water. why would baja blast do this and not other sodas? curious

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is far from the first time I've heard the argument that organic is a scam. Personally, it is hard to say how much validity there is to this. I know that, given the option, I trust organic more. It also matters more for certain types of food.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Organic food as a concept is most definitely not a "scam". There is certainly an argument to be made both ways, and there is more benefit to the consumer with some organic foods more than others, but no one is ripping anyone off. The increased cost of growing food organically is just being passed on to the consumer.

As for grocery stores, I mostly shop local, but not exclusively. My primary grocery store is a higher-end local chain. I also frequent the local food co-op. There is a TJ's on my way home from work so I sometimes stop there, but not terribly often. I buy some food at Costco, as well. But I would say that I go to TJs and costco on average once per month (outside of buying gas at Costco), while I go to the two local stores I mentioned at least once per week.

We used to have a Whole Foods but it got closed down right before Amazon bought the company and now there isn't one near me.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
We shop at grocery outlet and Costco and get about 90% organic and the other 10 is at least 5% non gmo. It costs more, but it's an investment in my family living longer. I'm ok with that.

As for bags, everyone should be forced to use reusable bags. :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
In DC they charge $0.05 per bag. Paper or plastic. The government has this rule to cut down on waste, but to me it just seems like complete bullshit because paper bags aren't wasteful.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
But to me it just seems like complete bullshit because paper bags aren't wasteful.

I mean, I guess they kind of are, but in the same trivial way that drinking straws and lawn sprinklers are wasteful, yet we are made to feel like assholes for using them. What fraction of total plastic use/waste do straws represent? What fraction of residential landscape irrigation does total water use represent? In both cases, well below 1%, and I'm sure that paper shopping bags as a percentage of total paper use is similarly low. Plastic bags I get, because it's not about the plastic use, but what ends up happening to the bags after use. But you could say the same thing about a lot of plastic products. In general, we should be using more paper and less plastic.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Publix in king around here. Nice place to shop and their employees tend to stick around so presumably the company treats them well. The store brand stuff is typically superior to Great Value at Walmart or whatever. The fresh food is generally high quality. You have to shop the sales though or you will pay a bit more money than at a discount chain.

Winn Dixie is fine but too far from my house.

The local Walmart is being renovated and seems less ghetto now.

There's also Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's within 5 miles. Out of those, Sam's Club has the best prices and I know where everything is. Old habits die hard.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
There's also Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's within 5 miles. Out of those, Sam's Club has the best prices and I know where everything is. Old habits die hard.

The Sams Club close to me closed down awhile ago. When we were taking care of my Mom when she was alive, the sole reason we had a membership was because pads were cheap there.

I really like Costco, but I don't have a membership there anymore. I used to fill my meds there and like a dumbass, I didn't know that you didn't need a membership with them to buy prescriptions. We still used the membership to get other things. They have good quality stuff there. And you can get your law degree there to boot. :keke:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
From what I hear, P.E.I will be switching to paper exclusively next year. We always chose paper back in the day when it was an option in stores before the shift to plastic exclusively; it'll be nice to see paper back in stores again.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Publix in king around here. Nice place to shop and their employees tend to stick around so presumably the company treats them well. The store brand stuff is typically superior to Great Value at Walmart or whatever. The fresh food is generally high quality. You have to shop the sales though or you will pay a bit more money than at a discount chain.

Winn Dixie is fine but too far from my house.

The local Walmart is being renovated and seems less ghetto now.

When did the Winn Dixie get replaced by a church?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
In DC they charge $0.05 per bag. Paper or plastic. The government has this rule to cut down on waste, but to me it just seems like complete bullshit because paper bags aren't wasteful.

In Australia they've recently removed all plastic and/or paper bags from supermarkets. You have to bring your own bag or buy a reusable one from them for $0.15

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
also white castle is for poor, uncultured people who like to consume body odor in the form of fast food. that shit is trash and it tastes like new jersey

Careful. Keep spouting such crucial, meaningful truths and somebody's gonna force you to drink hemlock.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
In Australia they've recently removed all plastic and/or paper bags from supermarkets. You have to bring your own bag or buy a reusable one from them for $0.15

Sounds like a great way to profit off me throwing $0.15 bags into the Great Barrier Reef.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I end up buying more bags than I need because they are far cheaper than garbage bags. I may be walking out with a loaf of bread, but when they ask if I need any bags I can say, "Five" and they're happy to accommodate. I'm not sure if it would have crossed my mind to switch from standard garbage bags to grocery bags had I not started paying for grocery bags, and it would probably be socially frowned upon to ask in the first place - like that person at a diner who takes a giant stack of napkins on their way out.

I wonder what else we would end up spending less on if we were incentivized to pay for a currently free alternative.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Nothing yet in Phoenix about changing or charging for plastic bags however the thing I hate the most is when the stores use 5 bags for 8-9 items. It's okay to put other stuff in with the bread! If it gets squished, oh well! Since I walk a bit, I buy fresh meat and then a couple of frozen things to keep the meat cold on the trip home. Nope! They need separate bags for those too. OY!