Paper or Plastic? Talk about grocery stores in your area

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Grocery stores are like chinese and mexican places; some of them are local.

What do we have in Mpls?
There's Cub which stands for Consumers United in Buying (Sounds like a Costco slogan). A well rounded place that seems to have good prices.

Byerlys/Lunds - Upscale grocery store. I call it Ballerlys because you have to be a baller that makes at least 100k to shop there. Has a nice selection of cheeses, bakery, Olive Bar, craft soda. They used to have a restaurant but took it out.

Another one is Coborns - which is a little more upscale - I never shop there.

Then there's the chains

Aldis - Good food, good prices, can get very crowded. Some of their seasonal items are nice. When I'm low on cash, I go here.

Trader Joe's - Hipster central. Good place to get $3 sushi and snacks. I seldom shop there.

Fresh Thyme Market - Newer place. Only been there once. Not real impressed. Seemed to have produce at good prices.

Hyvee- based out of Iowa. This is a try hard grocery store. Only reason I don't go there is because it's too far away from me. They are more expensive than Cub but less than Ballerlys.

Whole Foods (Whole paycheck)
Super ballers shop here for faggor organic. Organic is such a joke and a way to fleece money out of people if you ask me. I've been here 2-3 times and wasn't impressed.

So sue me - I have no life I shop around so what? I work at one of these places (I won't say which). I'm kind of curious about the business.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Grocery stores are like chinese and mexican places; some of them are regional.

What do we have in Mpls?
There's Cub which stands for Consumers United in Buying (Sounds like a Costco slogan). A well rounded place that seems to have good prices.

Byerlys/Lunds - Upscale grocery store. I call it Ballerlys because you have to be a baller that makes at least 100k to shop there. Has a nice selection of cheeses, bakery, Olive Bar, craft soda. They used to have a restaurant but took it out.

Then there's the chains

Aldis - Good food, good prices, can get very crowded. Some of their seasonal items are nice. When I'm low on cash, I go here.

Trader Joe's - Hipster central. Good place to get $3 sushi and snacks. I seldom shop there.

Fresh Thyme Market - Newer place. Only been there once. Not real impressed. Seemed to have produce at good prices.

Hyvee- based out of Iowa. This is a try hard grocery store. Only reason I don't go there is because it's too far away from me. They are more expensive than Cub but less than Ballerlys.

Super ballers shop here for faggor organic. Organic is such a joke and a way to fleece money out of people if you ask me. I've been here 2-3 times and wasn't impressed.

So sue me - I have no life I shop around so what? I work at one of these places (I won't say which). I'm kind of curious about the business.

Please. I want to hear more about your views of organic food. Go into detail.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is one of those moments where your thoughts are best kept internal.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

What do we have in Mpls?

Then there's the chains

Bet you work at Costco, stocking shelves.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

What do we have in Mpls?

Then there's the chains

You shop at grocery stores? I assumed you just went to McDonalds for all your meals.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Where I live we have:

Food City
Food Lion
Super Dollar
Grant’s

Also some small Mom and pop stores that have less selection but the best meat/fruit/vegetables. I don’t really put one above the other, just depends on where I’m at in town

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
In Metro Phoenix it's basically Fry's, Albertsons/Safeway, Bashas, Wal-Mart and then everyone else.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Excluding things like Walmart Supercenter, in my area, when it comes to dedicated grocery store chains, we mainly have Super One Foods, Econo Foods, Jubilee, and IGA. There are a handful of smaller co-ops and organic places as well, and farmer's markets alongside the highway during the summer months.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Never heard of most of the stores mention...I think Trader Joes is the only one i've heard of & that's pretty new.

Main Grocery stores
Albertson
Safeway
QFC
Winco

Department/Grocery store
Costco
Fred Meyers
Walmart

Also there is no plastic bags here, it got banned a few years ago. You also have to pay for paper bags.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Never heard of most of the stores mention...I think Trader Joes is the only one i've heard of & that's pretty new.

I'm not sure if GregN knows what the term regional means, but I'm pretty sure you do not.

None of the members who've posted in this thread live in the same state/country as you, so don't be surprised you haven't heard of these stores (I've actually heard of many like safeway, albertsons, Fred Meyers, Food Giant, despite not having them).

Also, I doubt Trader Joe's is new to your region.

EDIT: Plastic Bags are banned here on a per city basis/or cost 10 cents a piece.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
adjective
of or relating to a region of considerable extent; not merely local:
a regional meeting of the Boy Scouts.of or relating to a particular region, district, area, or part, as of a country; sectional; local:
regional differences in pronunciation.
Medicine/Medical, Anatomy. pertaining to, affecting, or localized in a particular area or part of the body:
regional anesthesia.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I'm not sure if GregN knows what the term regional means, but I'm pretty sure you do not.

None of the members who've posted in this thread live in the same state/country as you, so don't be surprised you haven't heard of these stores (I've actually heard of many like safeway, albertsons, Fred Meyers, Food Giant, despite not having them).

Also, I doubt Trader Joe's is new to your region.

EDIT: Plastic Bags are banned here on a per city basis.

I know what regional means, its just that i never heard of the stores at all. As for Traders, ours open just last year i think maybe 2 years ago. Never been too one inside. Winco is the place i go since its the cheapest, you just have to bag your own grocieries.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
adjective
of or relating to a region of considerable extent; not merely local:
a regional meeting of the Boy Scouts.of or relating to a particular region, district, area, or part, as of a country; sectional; local:
regional differences in pronunciation.
Medicine/Medical, Anatomy. pertaining to, affecting, or localized in a particular area or part of the body:
regional anesthesia.

Greg Pal...

HONESTLY man... if this is going to be another weirdass posting phase...

LMK now... so i can place my brain into neutral...

xROTx

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Greg Pal...

HONESTLY man... if this is going to be another weirdass posting phase...

LMK now... so i can place my brain into neutral...

xROTx

LoL I'm up late and bored. I'll tone it down.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Marc's, Discount Drug Mart, and Giant Eagle. Greater Cleveland-Elyria Metro is different from the rest of Ohio in that we used to have Tops like Buffalo, but we don’t have Kroger or Meijer.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
LoL I'm up late and bored. I'll tone it down.

tone it up!

Not to veer off topic so soon, but what convenience stores are prevalent in the greater Minneapolis area? Lot's of Mom n' Pops, regional chains, or boring old 7-11s?

I've come to the conclusion that 7-11 is THE most boring convince store ever and they're practically all the same. HOWEVER, there is one 7-11 very close to
me that STILL has brand new VHS tapes for sale. NOS freaky Friday and Terminator 3 for $18.99. You're paying for the time-warp-modern convince luxury, I understand it.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
tone it up!

Not to veer off topic so soon, but what convenience stores are prevalent in the greater Minneapolis area? Lot's of Mom n' Pops, regional chains, or boring old 7-11s?

I've come to the conclusion that 7-11 is THE most boring convince store ever and they're practically all the same. HOWEVER, there is one 7-11 very close to
me that STILL has brand new VHS tapes for sale. NOS freaky Friday and Terminator 3 for $18.99. You're paying for the time-warp-modern convince luxury, I understand it.

LoL
We have Superamerica, Holiday, BP, Circle K

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
tone it up!

The thing about the VHS tapes is cool, i'd like to see that in person.

I will add that there is definitely a worse and more boring convenience store. Its called Turkey Hill and afaik its limited to the southern end of Pennsylvania.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Phoenix is the LAND of Circle K's. On many corners, there's two and on one stretch of road, there's 3 of them within a half mile radius. They recently bought out a lot of the Valero gas stores so they continue to grow.

7-11's are around but rare. The exception is by my house where there's two within a block of each other: a newer one on a main intersection with gas and a classic throwback store, complete with the original old-fashioned road sign and building.

There's the 'organic' chains like Whole Foods and Sprout's and a few WinCo's on the outskirts but 4 chains probably have three-quarter of the market wrapped up. Some chains have tried and failed miserably in Phoenix, the last one was Fresh N Easy originally owned by Tesco. Nice stores but never really understood the competition here and paid the price by selling then closing all of their stores.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Whole Foods creeps me the fuck out. I don't like that place.