Which Metallica album is the best?

Which Metallica album is the best?

• Total voters

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
People paying $20 for a CD had nothing to do with people downloading music. It had everything to do with technology simply allowing people to share CD quality music for free. The same thing will happen when we can share blueprints for our 3D printers that allow us to print other intellectual property for free.

The industry would much rather sell a product at a premium price rather than stream. All they did was lower the product's value to such a degree that it doesn't make sense to purchase digital files, or even physical products (unless they're special collector's edition, vinyl, or whatever).

Music isn't really seen as a commodity anymore. I'm sure you, being a CD trader/bootlegger back in the day can remember a time when, if you wanted to listen to the new Megadeth or whatever, you either had to buy the album, or you went over to a friend's house to jam out to it. It was a communal experience in that regard. Nobody treats music like that anymore. I have some really fond memories as a teenager either hanging out in my room or my friends and just listening to music and talking about it. Most kids will never get to experience that, and that kind of sucks.
this is exactly why I still go out and buy CDs that I really want or of music that I really want to listen to. I have my own niche standards in order to prevent over-buying CDs (a $$ issue, not a space issue :) ) but chances are if I want to listen to something and I think it warrants going into my collection, I'll hold off and buy the CD so that I can listen to it as an experience later. These days, just the ritual of popping a CD in and listening to it changes the perceived value of the media greatly, and I prefer to open myself to new music in this frame of mind. Especially because I really like looking through the CD sleeve and reading/looking at eveyrthing while I listen.

My 2 cents because I grew up right in the sweet spot of buying CDs, burning them, and downloading mp3s en masse, which eventually lead to our ability to now download hundreds of albums at a time and listen to them as if we are chewing bubblegum. This is great for certain electronic music genres that are either only available on 12" singles and/or very hard and expensive to find, but when it comes to really picking up an album and intending to listen to it as an album, you cannot beat just buying the CD or record or tape, etc. It just solidifies the artistic experience and thank heavens I was alive early enough to understand the beauty of it.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
This is a great post. It reminds me of a time in high school when I went over to another kid's house. We didn't really have anything in common except that we both liked metal. His walls were completely covered (to the point that you couldn't see any paint) with posters, concert flyers, etc. from various metal bands. I checked out his CD collection, he showed me some mix tapes he had made (he had an all-instrumental tape that he made that had Call of Kthulu and Orion on it, but not To Live is to Die because of the spoken part.) We ended up walking over to a record store not far from his house, and I bought a 12" Jump in the Fire single on translucent red vinyl, and a slightly warped but still fine used Megaforce release Kill 'em All. Still have em both.

Actually, kinda funny story about that kid. He was the stereotypical metal head. Long hair, black clothes, Docs. The teachers all hated him (which is funny because he was one of the class valedictorians when he graduated with his straight A's.) Well for some dumb reason, when they put the year book together every year, who went in the year book and at which grade was dictated purely by who got their picture taken on picture day (and not by, I dunno, looking at the school's roster). So as a joke, on picture day he goes and hand in his sheet saying who he is and gets his picture taken, but somehow he had a second blank sheet. So he fills that one out, same grade and whatnot, but with the name "Cliff Burton". Goes to a different photographer in the gym, hands him the paper, and gets a second picture taken. Well, the end of the year comes and we all get our yearbooks, and sure enough he's in there twice. Once as himself, and once as fucking Cliff Burton.

That is one of the most awesome pranks I have ever heard about. Great story!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Right now is the best time to be buying CD's. Everybody is dumping them. Lots of people are also dumping 100/300/400 CD changers for next to nothing.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'm still waiting for the next to nothing. Certainly I have seen those CD changers for the first time ever in secondary market, within the past year. One I bought was the 300 CD changer but it has a problem that I can't fix at the moment. Otherwise, this has always been a dream item for me, I hope to get a working one for cheap soon.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Do people hate Motorhead because there is no bass?

Hahah yeah man right, damn fools. What instrument did lemmy play? Synth, no no, I remember. He was scratchin' on turntables. Yeah man motorhead is prob the best example of a band people pretend to like despite not having a bass player.

Right now is the best time to be buying CD's. Everybody is dumping them. Lots of people are also dumping 100/300/400 CD changers for next to nothing.

Maybe if you don't have discerning taste. When i'm buying cds of releases I want, it's $25 here, $30 there, $40, there, $80 there. I'm talking a piece. Yeah that adds up.

The flea markets around (that's your lifesblood right?) here aren't giving away the crap that I'm looking for, but it's really my fault. I told myself at 20 years old "Alright, don't get into vinyl. The video game bullshit is too much enough as it is, don't transition to vinyl" and I never did. I probably have 10 records. But i'm a sucker and a fool for still buying CDS (here and there not ALL of the time) and it sucks because I'm buying worthless shit that "you can't give away", but it's really taste dependent.

For the record, I still don't like Metallica.

Kill 'em all and AJFA are the only ones I think are ok.

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Ride the lightning is their best album imo. I think we can pretty much all agree that Their first 3 albums were all great and they slowly declined after that. That said I picked RTL because I think top to bottom it was the best. Every song on that album is absolutely great and I can listen to the whole thing over and over again. MoP may have had the bigger hits but when you look at the album as a whole, I just think RTL was the most complete.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm still waiting for the next to nothing. Certainly I have seen those CD changers for the first time ever in secondary market, within the past year. One I bought was the 300 CD changer but it has a problem that I can't fix at the moment. Otherwise, this has always been a dream item for me, I hope to get a working one for cheap soon.

I couldn't find them cheap either. Then one day, I picked up a 100 CD pioneer (not great but not suck either) and a SONY Mega 400. $20 each.
This year, I had a guy basically give me 2 Mega 300's (one with remote). FOund out that they will probably need belts. The next day, my GF picks a fully working Mega 300 for $5.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hahah yeah man right, damn fools. What instrument did lemmy play? Synth, no no, I remember. He was scratchin' on turntables. Yeah man motorhead is prob the best example of a band people pretend to like despite not having a bass player.

Maybe if you don't have discerning taste. When i'm buying cds of releases I want, it's $25 here, $30 there, $40, there, $80 there. I'm talking a piece. Yeah that adds up.

The flea markets around (that's your lifesblood right?) here aren't giving away the crap that I'm looking for, but it's really my fault. I told myself at 20 years old "Alright, don't get into vinyl. The video game bullshit is too much enough as it is, don't transition to vinyl" and I never did. I probably have 10 records. But i'm a sucker and a fool for still buying CDS (here and there not ALL of the time) and it sucks because I'm buying worthless shit that "you can't give away", but it's really taste dependent.

For the record, I still don't like Metallica.

Kill 'em all and AJFA are the only ones I think are ok.

First of all, Flea markets aren't my lifeblood. Flea markets are for suckers. Garage sales aren't my lifeblood either. They are what I do for the first few hours of my Friday and Saturday morning so I can pay for all the money we spend at our final destination of the day (usually the mall or entertainment).

But anyways, It is still hard to find specific rare cd's in the wild. Once in a while, I get lucky and find something really nice. Or stumble onto a big metal CD collection (as has happened once recently).

But the stuff that was made in mass quantities can be had super cheap. Classic Rock, 90's Alternative. Lots of great stuff.

CD's are awesome and people will regret dumping them for $00.25 ea.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Any of their thrash albums are best.

metallica stopped being a thrash metal band right after the first three albums as did megadeth. that's why it annoys the hell out of me when i see rust in peace nominated as the best thrash album of all time when it's not even thrash.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
metallica stopped being a thrash metal band right after the first three albums as did megadeth. that's why it annoys the hell out of me when i see rust in peace nominated as the best thrash album of all time when it's not even thrash.

I agree that Rust in peace is not thrash. The album definitely has some thrash elements to it but its not a real thrash album. That said I do think its the greatest METAL album of all time, it really is a masterpiece.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I agree that Rust in peace is not thrash. The album definitely has some thrash elements to it but its not a real thrash album. That said I do think its the greatest METAL album of all time, it really is a masterpiece.

it is a good album. but personally i don't even think it's the best megadeth album let alone the greatest metal ever. but that's just my opinion.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I could never take to megadeath TBH, they're ok, but i can pass on them.
Anthrax were the worse though, i went to see them live many years ago and thought they were pretty average at best, a band called testament were backing them and they were much better.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Anthrax were the worse though, i went to see them live many years ago and thought they were pretty average at best, a band called testament were backing them and they were much better.

megadeth is like my favourite metal band ever. but absolutely, dude. testament piss all over anthrax. never understood why anthrax was so important.

i used to listen to testaments the ritual album all the time. great early 90's metal album.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Anthrax got play on that rikki rachman? mtv metal show. I forget what the big hit was maybe something about men?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
First of all, Flea markets aren't my lifeblood. Flea markets are for suckers. Garage sales aren't my lifeblood either. They are what I do for the first few hours of my Friday and Saturday morning so I can pay for all the money we spend at our final destination of the day (usually the mall or entertainment).

That's right. Details were foggy to me and I incorrectly generalized.

Yes, I do agree that the cheap stuff is pretty cheap.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

TOTALLY! Testament is a million times better than Anthrax. They should of been in the big 4 instead of Anthrax, Anthrax is easily one of the most overrated bands ever imo.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
it is a good album. but personally i don't even think it's the best megadeth album let alone the greatest metal ever. but that's just my opinion.

fair enough, was just giving my opinion as well. Everyone has different tastes and a right to their own opinion :D so which album do you think is their best then?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
fair enough, was just giving my opinion as well. Everyone has different tastes and a right to their own opinion :D so which album do you think is their best then?

personality i think peace sells is their best album in terms of overall quality. although so far so good is my personal favourite. oddly enough, i was listening to so far so good just a few hours ago.