Which Metallica album is the best?

Which Metallica album is the best?

• Total voters

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Anyway, I'm curious how people think about St Anger currently. Does anybody not feel weird about it?

I don't really think it's a good album, but it occupies a special place in my heart because of how raw and frustrated it is. It's a band in turmoil and it shows in their art.

When I had to go through a lot of surgeries to preserve my vision, Metallica was the band that helped me deal with my personal anger over what had happened to me. I listened to St. Anger every day for a month. Sometimes twice a day. The album wallowed and it was exactly how I felt at that time so I connected with it. I even bought the vinyl for, like, 6 bucks at a Disc Replay and framed it.

I can objectively say it is not a good album, but it is a deeply personal one for me.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I don't really think it's a good album, but it occupies a special place in my heart because of how raw and frustrated it is. It's a band in turmoil and it shows in their art.

When I had to go through a lot of surgeries to preserve my vision, Metallica was the band that helped me deal with my personal anger over what had happened to me. I listened to St. Anger every day for a month. Sometimes twice a day. The album wallowed and it was exactly how I felt at that time so I connected with it. I even bought the vinyl for, like, 6 bucks at a Disc Replay and framed it.

I can objectively say it is not a good album, but it is a deeply personal one for me.

You probably stated the only valid reason why anybody would like St Anger! Never thought anybody could possibly have a connection with it, but you prove me wrong.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
St Anger :keke:

Quite difficult to choose... I did select Ride the Lightning but it could have been Master of Puppets too... aaagh decissions.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I was completely mystified by St. Anger, or what I heard off of it. I don't think I ever got past the material that got radio play.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
20180717_123852.jpg: "Madly in Anger with You?" What the hell does that mean? Why did Lars kill Napster? Well, they won't kill Morpheus, I mean kazaa.

20180717_123852.jpg: ...but, maybe...

20180717_123852.jpg: ...maybe if Metallica can put out an album like this, maybe I can stop lurking and actually make an account at neo geo dot com. What have I got to lose?

20180717_123852.jpg: What's the worst that could happen?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I’m surprised it took this long for Slayer to get mentioned. Divine Intervention was the first album I heard from Slayer; a blind purchase when I was 12. I still love every track on that album.

Funilly enough i picked up my first slayer album reign in blood as a blind purchase (i was drawn to the cover TBH) and it absolutely blew me away,

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
My first Slayer purchase was Haunting the Chapel. I might even still have that somewhere.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I thought it was common opinion that Reign in Blood is pretty much filler sandwiched between Angel of Death and Raining Blood.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
A long time ago, I had this cassette tape that had "demos" of Mechanix and shit that was on KEA. It may have most likely been a bootleg of a live performance or something. Found it on CD years later as "Metallica: The early years", but they layed crowd noise over the tracks so they sound like shit.

Wish I could remember the name of the tape, tho.

The songs are here, but theres all sorts of banter from live shows in between songs

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A long time ago, I had this cassette tape that had "demos" of Mechanix and shit that was on KEA. It may have most likely been a bootleg of a live performance or something. Found it on CD years later as "Metallica: The early years", but they layed crowd noise over the tracks so they sound like shit.

Wish I could remember the name of the tape, tho.

The songs are here, but theres all sorts of banter from live shows in between songs

This comes to mind:
https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Bay-Area-Thrashers-The-Early-Days/release/10497520

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I thought it was common opinion that Reign in Blood is pretty much filler sandwiched between Angel of Death and Raining Blood.

I'm on the Reign in Blood bandwagon. I'd say it's a top 5 all-time thrash album.

Speaking of, I think this would be my top 10:

Master of Puppets
Rust in Peace
Ride the Lightning
Reign in Blood
Bonded by Blood
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
Seasons in the Abyss
Kill 'Em All
Among the Living
...And Justice for All

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm on the Reign in Blood bandwagon. I'd say it's a top 5 all-time thrash album.

Speaking of, I think this would be my top 10:

Master of Puppets
Rust in Peace
Ride the Lightning
Reign in Blood
Bonded by Blood
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
Seasons in the Abyss
Kill 'Em All
Among the Living
...And Justice for All

My list would include Breaking the Silence and Slaughter In The Vatican

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I impulsively voted MoP but S&M is the correct answer.

Best versions of the best Metallica songs. That album is straight dynamite.

Edit: You forgot Garage inc. Thats arguably a top 5 album from them.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
28u0haw.jpg

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Agreed with taiso in that St. Anger captured the band at its lowest point. It was raw and emotional and all of their songs reflected that. I wont say it was good, because it's not, but i appreciate what they were trying to do here.

S&m was a good live albulm, probably their most polished performance and their only "best of" albulm they released. The symphony enhanced some songs, but most other songs i prefer to hear with no symphony. Too much filler for my taste. If you have the dvd you can mute the orchestra and hear how great the band sounded.

Garage inc, i cant really rate it since they are just cover songs but many of them are really good. They clearly added their sound to all the songs and made them sound like metallica songs.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i didn't even know st. anger was meant to be a bad album until i discovered the internet. all of us in college loved it. i remember waiting at the bus stop in the morning for college with frost every where and the morning sun shining bright with cold fresh air filling my lungs while listening to st. anger on my portable cd player.

every time i hear any song from that album it reminds me of my college years. i even had a st. anger shirt and really liked the album cover.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i didn't even know st. anger was meant to be a bad album until i discovered the internet. all of us in college loved it. i remember waiting at the bus stop in the morning for college with frost every where and the morning sun shining bright with cold fresh air filling my lungs while listening to st. anger on my portable cd player.

every time i hear any song from that album it reminds me of my college years. i even had a st. anger shirt and really liked the album cover.

Man totally. I remember back then, my friends older brother ended up with a binder with a bunch of Metal CDs (which I assume he stole) and he didnt give a fuck about that genre so he gave them all to me. In that binder was my introduction to Metallica. Master of Puppets, Kill em All, the Black Album and the newly released St. Anger.

I got a crash course Metallica right there and then (i'd heard them on the radio and what not loads of times but never really listened) I remember soaking in the band with my portable CD player. Became an instant fan. It was pretty obvious that St. Anger did not compare to the other albums but I still enjoyed it. The "fixed" version is actually much much better but its still not a bad album.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
They released St. Anger a couple of days early because they were afraid of people downloading it illegally. Day before it actually released I had it on my HD.

To this day I'm glad I didn't spend money on that mess.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
They released St. Anger a couple of days early because they were afraid of people downloading it illegally. Day before it actually released I had it on my HD.

To this day I'm glad I didn't spend money on that mess.

Lars gotta have another 10 million dollars!!!!