Which Metallica album is the best?

Which Metallica album is the best?

• Total voters

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm not a big fan of And Justice for All. Some of the songs are good but for some reason, the album is meh.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
He's an insufferable little shit.

Yeah he get's on my tit's as well filthy.
I remember the big hoo ha with all the illegal download stuff he was upset about, which ended up with them taking napster to court.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Say what you will about Lars (and I was a big hater back in the day), but he was 100% right about illegal downloads. They decimated the industry.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The old industry model was not only obsolete nut unsustainable. You can only get people to pay $20+ for a CD with 2 good songs on it for so long.

Finally, the industry has the model it always wanted in streaming. You don't own the music you listen to, instead you have to pony up every month (or deal with advertising).

Downloads (both paid and illegal) are plummeting.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
perhaps the utter LACK OF BASS is the problem?

Perhaps. I do like those songs live better than on the recording (though that is true for most Metallica, it really true for And Justice).

Hell, they should just remix it properly.
And if the master bass recordings aren't suitable just do what Sharron Osborne did and have Robert Trujillo re-record them.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Really? Not to side with Simple Troll, but that album is pretty famous for its lack of bass.

I have not had an issue with it, but my only source is the Dig-a-log cassette. I will give it another listen on my current cassette setup to see if it is indeed an issue. BUt that is only one release. The point is that sound can be fixed in most cases, presuming the mastering (or remastering in the case of recent "loudness" corrections) is good.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
just so we are clear, I assume tjat he is talking about the mix lacking of bass guitar

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Norton is correct (sound the alarms!) . It isn't a case of missing bass, but missing bass guitar. It is quite evident on ... And Justice For All (the song) that I can find on Youtube from the remaster vs the cassette. The bass guitar seems to be missing. I do not have appropriate equipment to know if the sound is actually there or not. And a correction, my And Justice for All tape does not have the DigAlog label on it, only my Ride the Lightning and Black album do.

Aside from missing bass guitar, it does not lack bass sound. It seems silly that people would say this would be the reason they would not like the album. Especially since I would wager that most people did not know that it was supposed to sound any different. Do people hate Motorhead because there is no bass?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Norton is correct (sound the alarms!) . It isn't a case of missing bass, but missing bass guitar. It is quite evident on ... And Justice For All (the song) that I can find on Youtube from the remaster vs the cassette. The bass guitar seems to be missing. I do not have appropriate equipment to know if the sound is actually there or not. And a correction, my And Justice for All tape does not have the DigAlog label on it, only my Ride the Lightning and Black album do.

Aside from missing bass guitar, it does not lack bass sound. It seems silly that people would say this would be the reason they would not like the album. Especially since I would wager that most people did not know that it was supposed to sound any different. Do people hate Motorhead because there is no bass?

Yup. There is actually so much bass on the original recording of AJFA that it distorts the sound.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Yes, when I said "bass" I was referring to Jason's bass, not the low end of the EQ spectrum.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I must be confused with some other band that has no bassist, that I didn't know. For some reason I thought it was Motorhead.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I must be confused with some other band that has no bassist, that I didn't know. For some reason I thought it was Motorhead.

Doors

The gypsies had no homes. The Doors had no bass.
But don't let that scare you, my friend, let that liberate you!"

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The old industry model was not only obsolete nut unsustainable. You can only get people to pay $20+ for a CD with 2 good songs on it for so long.

Finally, the industry has the model it always wanted in streaming. You don't own the music you listen to, instead you have to pony up every month (or deal with advertising).

Downloads (both paid and illegal) are plummeting.

People paying $20 for a CD had nothing to do with people downloading music. It had everything to do with technology simply allowing people to share CD quality music for free. The same thing will happen when we can share blueprints for our 3D printers that allow us to print other intellectual property for free.

The industry would much rather sell a product at a premium price rather than stream. All they did was lower the product's value to such a degree that it doesn't make sense to purchase digital files, or even physical products (unless they're special collector's edition, vinyl, or whatever).

Music isn't really seen as a commodity anymore. I'm sure you, being a CD trader/bootlegger back in the day can remember a time when, if you wanted to listen to the new Megadeth or whatever, you either had to buy the album, or you went over to a friend's house to jam out to it. It was a communal experience in that regard. Nobody treats music like that anymore. I have some really fond memories as a teenager either hanging out in my room or my friends and just listening to music and talking about it. Most kids will never get to experience that, and that kind of sucks.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
People paying $20 for a CD had nothing to do with people downloading music. It had everything to do with technology simply allowing people to share CD quality music for free. The same thing will happen when we can share blueprints for our 3D printers that allow us to print other intellectual property for free.

The industry would much rather sell a product at a premium price rather than stream. All they did was lower the product's value to such a degree that it doesn't make sense to purchase digital files, or even physical products (unless they're special collector's edition, vinyl, or whatever).

Music isn't really seen as a commodity anymore. I'm sure you, being a CD trader/bootlegger back in the day can remember a time when, if you wanted to listen to the new Megadeth or whatever, you either had to buy the album, or you went over to a friend's house to jam out to it. It was a communal experience in that regard. Nobody treats music like that anymore. I have some really fond memories as a teenager either hanging out in my room or my friends and just listening to music and talking about it. Most kids will never get to experience that, and that kind of sucks.

This is a great post. It reminds me of a time in high school when I went over to another kid's house. We didn't really have anything in common except that we both liked metal. His walls were completely covered (to the point that you couldn't see any paint) with posters, concert flyers, etc. from various metal bands. I checked out his CD collection, he showed me some mix tapes he had made (he had an all-instrumental tape that he made that had Call of Kthulu and Orion on it, but not To Live is to Die because of the spoken part.) We ended up walking over to a record store not far from his house, and I bought a 12" Jump in the Fire single on translucent red vinyl, and a slightly warped but still fine used Megaforce release Kill 'em All. Still have em both.

Actually, kinda funny story about that kid. He was the stereotypical metal head. Long hair, black clothes, Docs. The teachers all hated him (which is funny because he was one of the class valedictorians when he graduated with his straight A's.) Well for some dumb reason, when they put the year book together every year, who went in the year book and at which grade was dictated purely by who got their picture taken on picture day (and not by, I dunno, looking at the school's roster). So as a joke, on picture day he goes and hand in his sheet saying who he is and gets his picture taken, but somehow he had a second blank sheet. So he fills that one out, same grade and whatnot, but with the name "Cliff Burton". Goes to a different photographer in the gym, hands him the paper, and gets a second picture taken. Well, the end of the year comes and we all get our yearbooks, and sure enough he's in there twice. Once as himself, and once as fucking Cliff Burton.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

s.

The $20 per shitty cd was unsustainable. The industry was a big fucking dinosaur needing a shakeup.

OK, streaming isn't the model the industry has always wanted. Non-transferable music that needs a a periodic license is what they always wanted. Of course, DRM is abhorrent to consumers so streaming is the closes they can get to it. They don't want people to own music, they want people to be constanlty ponying up for it. They hated used CD sales.