Which Metallica album is the best?

Which Metallica album is the best?

• Total voters

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Who the hell voted for Load? To be honest, if someone *doesn't* vote for Puppets, I'd like to know what their reasoning is.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
To me, there's no argument. It's Master of Puppets. That and Justice are the high point of the band for me.

I still like most of the Black Album and beyond, but it's definitely not up to par with those two albums.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
For me, RTL just barely edges out MOP. Just a matter of taste I guess. Both nearly perfect albums.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
hqdefault.jpg

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Objectively, and overall, Puppets is probably the best. However, Kill 'em All reigns supreme for me. It's the ultimate riff album, and combined with the production, gives it more of a punk feel. I also like Kirk's lead work the best on this album. His leads got better on the next few albums, but none of them match the raw intensity and attitude on KEA. "Whiplash" and "Metal Militia" have two of my favorite solos of all time. As a guitarist, I cut my teeth on this album, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Who the hell voted for Load? To be honest, if someone *doesn't* vote for Puppets, I'd like to know what their reasoning is.

The correct answer is Master of Puppets, but I'll accept any pre-Black album. Hell... even "Black" is hardcore compared to what came after.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
:lolz: pollux is back with one of his polls.

kill em all!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Coin toss between MOP and AJFA.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Cliff ‘Em All is the single best Metallica release.

From a songwriting standpoint Justice is my favorite, but I hate the overall sound and production of it.

Master of Puppets is my most listened to one. I want to listen to justice but the lack of bass is disgusting and pisses me off. Incredible songs wasted on bad mixing . I even wish cliff was louder on his albums, but at least I can tolerate to listen to KEA, RTL, and MOP.

I probably should’ve chosen puppets in the poll, but it looks like I can’t change it.

The black album is pretty decent, and I think I’ll learn to love it...

In Lu Lu I really enjoy the part where they say “I AM THE TABLE” that’s an instant classic.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It’s common knowledge that Metallica was at their best when Cliff was in the band.

So naturally you had to reference a video tape in the best album thread. Another reference to shit from before you were born. Fuckin' hipster.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It’s common knowledge that Metallica was at their best when Cliff was in the band.

I disagree. They were their best during the period between the black album and Load.
I'd say 1992/1993

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Tough to pick between RtL and Puppets but Battery/MoP is like my favorite 1-2 beginning of any album ever.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Master of Puppets is the only right answer obviously.
However, I find that justice is the one I keep coming back to time and again, regardless of shitty bass sound. Dyer's Eve is pure gold and still one of their best metal songs.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I disagree. They were their best during the period between the black album and Load.
I'd say 1992/1993

What makes you say that? Granted, their production was better (talking about both TBA as well as their live shows (Live Shit)), but I wouldn't say they're anywhere near as intense as they were when they with Cliff during the Puppets tour (and I'm a huge Jason fan). I don't think any band touches them live during this period, not even themselves 5-6 years later.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
MOP and Justice are my favorites. I chose Justice because I knew most were going to pick MOP and because To Live is To Die is such a awesome track.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What makes you say that? Granted, their production was better (talking about both TBA as well as their live shows (Live Shit)), but I wouldn't say they're anywhere near as intense as they were when they with Cliff during the Puppets tour (and I'm a huge Jason fan). I don't think any band touches them live during this period, not even themselves 5-6 years later.

They were definitely rawer and hand more attitude during the era you mention. But I think they were just a little tighter and a little better rounded during the era I mentioned. They also had more songs to play and started to vary their setlists. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's just my opinion.

Right. I wasn't trying to start an argument, only a discussion. I was curious because that's the timeframe that they fell off for me in a huge way. James blew his voice out during this time, grew a mullet, and became the James Yeahfield that continues to this day.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Surprised by so little love for RTL. Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Creeping Death, Ride The Lightning and Call Of Ktulu are all incredible....

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I like Master ALOT, but Ride is my goto for them. Kill em All is rad too.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
For a band that's fucking amazing live, it's a shame they didnt put out more live albums.

Theres always bootlegs I guess.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I like Kill Em All, they're better with Dave Mustaine.

That Monsters of Rock concert they did in Moscow in 1991 is pretty amazing as far as live stuff goes. It's like a real-life Metalocalypse.

Last edited: