161-in-1 version 2 stability fix.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
If your using an AES 161in1 than that is your problem. You should use a MVS 161in1 and converter for PICKnMIX.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Going to try doing this fix using conductive paint rather than solder, will report how it goes once I finish.

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just going to toss this out there : Try some Deoxit cleaner on the cartridge pins.

I think with my cart, when I sanded down the edges (the 161 in 1's cart pins are about 1-2mm to wide on each side) some of the pcb dust got onto the pins.

Just re-did it again with some deoxit and I'm not having to let the cart warm up before playing kof 98.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
i heard that stuff stops working after a while.

(shrug) could be, but if so I've not noticed with the brand I use. Only weird part is it only conducts once dry, no idea how they got that to work. If this does indeed make the cart work better, I may go back in with some solder. But this is a quick and easy way to do it.
nKnsILP.png

Kujako

Quiz Detective
So... turns out I'm an idiot. Can someone tell me how to determine which direction the boards go back in the housing?

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
So... turns out I'm an idiot. Can someone tell me how to determine which direction the boards go back in the housing?

the PCB's have cutouts at the top of the boards and the chips should be facing the back of the Cart. the side with the screws.the one with the down facing Triangle is the front.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
the PCB's have cutouts at the top of the boards and the chips should be facing the back of the Cart. the side with the screws.the one with the down facing Triangle is the front.

Gotcha, so really only one way to put them in.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Seems to be working with the conductive paint, stability does seem better, though sound is still Bjorked.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Seems to be working with the conductive paint, stability does seem better, though sound is still Bjorked.

What is the resistance in Ohm if you measure both pins with the conductive paint (and why did you want to use paint instead of solder and a small wire bridge?)

Kujako

Quiz Detective
What is the resistance in Ohm if you measure both pins with the conductive paint (and why did you want to use paint instead of solder and a small wire bridge?)

Paint is easier to do and undo. Resistance is 15-Ohm. I may go back later and solder it, but this was a quick way to see if it made a difference on my end.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
Paint is easier to do and undo. Resistance is 15-Ohm. I may go back later and solder it, but this was a quick way to see if it made a difference on my end.

Paint easier to do and undo ? Well I don't really get that point.. what is easier than to solder on a bridge and desolder it later ? But up to you man :)

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Paint easier to do and undo ? Well I don't really get that point.. what is easier than to solder on a bridge and desolder it later ? But up to you man :)

Squeezing a tube to dollop on some paint and then wiping it away with rubbing alcohol seems easier to me (shrug).

MRTjamma

n00b
Tried bridging as seen in this thread, did not work for me - still have crashes in SamSho games and Top Hunters graphics issues
However when I did boot up my mvs, I heard a loud bang, it seems like one of the capacitors on my arcade psu had exploded.
Would this be a coincidence or is it possible the bridge could have this affect on setups?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Not if you did it correctly.

MRTjamma

n00b
my supergun + video encoder, mvs mobo and controller decoders are still working fine so i'm just hoping that it was coincidental that the capacitor on my arcade psu decided to pop(it was pretty hot today)
(everything is still playable with same issues but i would not want to be using this power supply any longer to avoid possible damage)
before i try another psu though just wanted to see if i did the bridging right because i'm paranoid, if i am measuring correctly it shows resistance at 0.10ohm (??)
bridge.jpg
Yhvqz3Ql.jpg

the cart works on my mv1fz mobo that z80 errors and has sound issues with no problems but the working oneslot i'm using atm it resets on fighters and doesn't like top hunters graphics :(

Last edited:

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
Did this on my V2 and it works better now. before i did the fix on my MV-1fs puzzle bobble 2 had no sound at all. other games worked fine but not that one. After applying fix it now has sound.

BadChad

n00b
There is a video on youtube of a guy showing howto do the audio fixes on the v2 board.

Know where I can find this video? Did a bit of searching, and all the videos I come across are for Version 1. I don't have access to see photos on the forum for some reason so I can't really rely on the other threads for info.

BadChad

n00b

Thanks for the reply. I'm already aware of this page and had already done the stability fix prior to posting. I'm referring to the youtube video of the audio fix on the V2 boards you mentioned. I'm familliar with the process on how to do the audio fix on the V1 boards and had already ordered the required parts along with a copy of the 161-in-1. But when my copy showed up, it ended up being a V2 cart which I cant seem to find any video tutorials on. And I don't have access to see any of the photos to use a reference from the instructions I've found on the forum.

Unless theirs instructions for the audio fix in the link you sent and I'm just not seeing them...?

Dialknight

n00b
Unless theirs instructions for the audio fix in the link you sent and I'm just not seeing them...?
I was where you were about a year ago, open the cart, lots of empty spaces, just fill em up. pay attention to the original thread, cause it says what ones to not replace.

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
awesome find in op.

There is a video on youtube of a guy showing howto do the audio fixes on the v2 board.

that guy would be me. search
segasonicfan 161
and youll find the videos I made.
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=segasonicfan+161&sp=QgIIAQ%3D%3D

also, please note that there are some errors in the version 1 upgrades. Notably, the Sound CPLD needs decoupling capacitors on its power pins and most importantly it needs 5v, not 4.2v or whatever the series diodes are giving it. do not connect the diodes on version 1, just remove them and throw them in the trash.
I find it odd that they decided to make the MAX7000 audio CPLD 4.2V instead of 5V. 5V power rails make it handle 3V3 or 5V logic levels, I see no reason for them to modify that.

I may post a video on this if there is interest.

Last edited:
84DF39BB-39B0-4A68-A33E-B3B06F3718B2.jpeg So I open up my 161 n 1 MVS cart to do the bridge mod and find this inside. Anyone else find this odd?

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
whats odd here? just diff board rev? this one still has unplaced decoupling caps. wtf they are .09 cents in the USA with a purchase of 100. I bet the ones they use are 0.009 cents. talk about unnecessary cheapness.