Different Religion

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm against organized religion(and no I'm not an atheist either). I do believe in a "higher power". I feel that if you have to do any sort of praying/religious activity, you should do it privately/quietly in your own home.

As for your daughter, I'd have a talk with her and let her know how you feel/what you want to do and go from there. Don't try and actually push/force anything on to her. She will respect you for it and take it into consideration. As you said, it's ultimately her choice.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I say talk to her regarding the importance of family and friends outside of the religion.

How old are the kids?

This actually seems like good advice.

Just because a person chooses a religion, that is no reason to exile the rest of the family.

I would explain to her not only does everyone have to respect her religious beliefs, but that she also has to respect theirs. Especially when it comes to family.

This is a sticky situation for sure. JW is some crazy stuff. If I were in this situation, I would totally fuck it up. I would explain what I said above, and then explain why I don't agree with organized religion. I would probably bring history and science into the conversation, and explain how I don't believe in religion for several reasons.

1. More people have died in the name of religion that anything except natural causes.

2. Religion was spread through scare tactics, and murder.

Yeah, I would totally botch this. Don't do that.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This actually seems like good advice.

Just because a person chooses a religion, that is no reason to exile the rest of the family.

I would explain to her not only does everyone have to respect her religious beliefs, but that she also has to respect theirs. Especially when it comes to family.

This is a sticky situation for sure. JW is some crazy stuff. If I were in this situation, I would totally fuck it up. I would explain what I said above, and then explain why I don't agree with organized religion. I would probably bring history and science into the conversation, and explain how I don't believe in religion for several reasons.

1. More people have died in the name of religion that anything except natural causes.

2. Religion was spread through scare tactics, and murder.

Yeah, I would totally botch this. Don't do that.

I'll say it again, the issue with JWs isn't necessarily what they believe, it's how controlling they are of their member's everyday lives. Its a stifling religion and I do not feel that anyone can possibly be happy in those conditions.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'll say it again, the issue with JWs isn't necessarily what they believe, it's how controlling they are of their member's everyday lives. Its a stifling religion and I do not feel that anyone can possibly be happy in those conditions.
This is an accurate statement. Almost all JWs I've ever met/known/been related to have been great humans.

But they are VERY controlling on shit. My mom seems to be happy, but she's definitely constricted from enjoying things. She won't take thc, or even smoke out w me because of her beliefs, even though it could help her cancer. And she won't even listen to my bands music because we have a joke song about killing hookers.

She said I'm on the wrong path because of that.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is an accurate statement. Almost all JWs I've ever met/known/been related to have been great humans.

But they are VERY controlling on shit. My mom seems to be happy, but she's definitely constricted from enjoying things. She won't take thc, or even smoke out w me because of her beliefs, even though it could help her cancer. And she won't even listen to my bands music because we have a joke song about killing hookers.

She said I'm on the wrong path because of that.

It's near impossible to argue or persuade someone who is heavily religious.

I've always just looked at how happy someone is, how their quality of life is. I've known many deeply, borderline fanatic religious people. Some live happy lives, others do not. Few of them understand that happiness is not something you'll get from an external source.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm resurrecting this thread.

It was really fucking hot yesterday. There happened to be a Ben & Jerry's next to the store I had to go to. I went in. The family in front of me was taking forever, tasting a bit of everything and not being able to decide on a flavor. They finally ordered and the mother forced the girl at the counter to take a business card. I was confused so I squinted and saw that it said JW.org on it. I went to the site and, well, here we are.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

It was really fucking hot yesterday. There happened to be a Ben & Jerry's next to the store I had to go to. I went in. The family in front of me was taking forever, tasting a bit of everything and not being able to decide on a flavor. They finally ordered and the mother forced the girl at the counter to take a business card. I was confused so I squinted and saw that it said JW.org on it. I went to the site and, well, here we are.

I hate when people do that shit. Everyone has heard of Jesus at this point. If anyone wants to know more, obviously they know where to look.

I secretly wamt to go hand out little devil worship pamphlets some day. Maybe juat carry some around to gibe holy rollers that stalk me at the mall.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I forgot to update this...So my oldest child no longer is bible studying w/ the Jehovah Witness squads.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I forgot to update this...So my oldest child no longer is bible studying w/ the Jehovah Witness squads.

Thankfully it was just a phase/fad. Kids often do that. They try something new for a while, it gets old, they move on.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Everyone has heard of Jesus at this point.

ff69f2a92dded0a79644ff2ec7b677d4.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Can you imagine an America without religion? Would be so fucking boss.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Any given -ism is ready to replace it. Where's the difference?

It would be pretty lazy to pin an ism on lonesage. And simply too easy to pidgeonhole him in the Dickensian conventions of "lynchburg". Patriotism, nationalism, capitalism, the great schism. They don't apply to him. He's a guy who wanted his freedom, so he went to the least free places he can find to find out what that means.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
He's a guy who wanted his freedom, so he went to the least free places he can find to find out what that means.
It means being able to pay a year's worth of rent in one day and not sweating it. That's freedom.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Any given -ism is ready to replace it. Where's the difference?

I would think if everyone went spiritualism things would be pretty tame. Those people just hang out high in the forest all day and do tarot readings. The worst conversation in publuc would be them commenting on your aura and going on about chakras.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I would think if everyone went spiritualism things would be pretty tame. Those people just hang out high in the forest all day and do tarot readings. The worst conversation in publuc would be them commenting on your aura and going on about chakras.

Serious question: Have the Hindu people ever started anything even remotely close to the Inquisition or jihads? I know India doesn't have a good relationship with Pakistan, but I don't know if that's related to religion or not.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Serious question: Have the Hindu people ever started anything even remotely close to the Inquisition or jihads? I know India doesn't have a good relationship with Pakistan, but I don't know if that's related to religion or not.

Hindunationalists and their mobs are doing lots of crazy stuff in India right now.

And adherents of Buddhism are committing ethnic cleansing in Burma under the watch of Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Last edited:

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Hindunationalists and their mobs are doing lots of crazy stuff in India right now.

And adherents of Buddhism are committing ethnic cleansing in Burma under the watch of Nobel Peace Prize winner.

What an utterly simplistic Western view on Myanmar.