Different Religion

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I already talked to her about it, along with the person who is bible studying her. It was a good talk, im good with it now.

Yeah? Sounds like they are indoctrinating her to cut herself off from family. Imagine when you and your wife are old and it’s your birthday, anniversary or some holiday, and that child that you invested in shrugs you off because you let some pervert fuck her brain into trash. “No father, birthdays are evil.”

Be a man, and put two bullets in her study leader’s head, and tell her to get her shit straight.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah? Sounds like they are indoctrinating her to cut herself off from family. Imagine when you and your wife are old and it’s your birthday, anniversary or some holiday, and that child that you invested in shrugs you off because you let some pervert fuck her brain into trash. “No father, birthdays are evil.”

Be a man, and put two bullets in her study leader’s head, and tell her to get her shit straight.

Joke reply or no...he's right. JWs do not do anything softly...you need to get ahead of this right now or else this is only going to get worse.

This is the prime reason why wife and myself wouldn't have a child until we both gave up religion lock, stock, and barrel.

Your daughter will sink deeper into the religion, then marry within the religion...and your grandkids will be born into that world. Trust me, you do not want to be the Grandpa the kids aren't allowed to see.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

Joke reply or no...he's right. JWs do not do anything softly...you need to get ahead of this right now or else this is only going to get worse.

This is the prime reason why wife and myself wouldn't have a child until we both gave up religion lock, stock, and barrel.

Your daughter will sink deeper into the religion, then marry within the religion...and your grandkids will be born into that world. Trust me, you do not want to be the Grandpa the kids aren't allowed to see.

Those are the extreme...

Like i said i'v been married to it for almost 20years now...Daughter has already agreed to just study the bible till she is 18 and then decide if she wants to pursue. She has been involve in all family gatherings.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
That these fairytales even occupy one nanosecond in your lives...I almost feel bad for you.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Those are the extreme...

Like i said i'v been married to it for almost 20years now...Daughter has already agreed to just study the bible till she is 18 and then decide if she wants to pursue. She has been involve in all family gatherings.

Yeah, but your wife sounds more open minded and rational. Children need guidance from good and honest people. Your daughter is being taken advantage of. She can study the Bible on her own in the basement.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Dangerous? I don't know...I guess it completely depends on how you define dangerous.

Will it white-wash your life making for a boring and dead end existence? Absolutely. Will it encourage you to do dangerous and life ruining things? No, not at all. For the most part JWs are clean living people who honestly do abstain from much of life's pitfalls. The seem to have a steady home life and most have solid marriages...it's just all encapsulated and without joy. They seem all shiny happy people on the outside...but they're not. It's impossible to be happy living in a sterile, controlled environment separate from the world.

Dangerous as in "will brainwash your children in to eventually choosing the cult over their own family". They may never blow up buildings or commit ritualistic suicide but one of the defining characteristics of a cult is demonizing the other to the point of ostracizing you from non-members. You may not find that dangerous but I most certainly do.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Dangerous - like an MLM.
That church wants more money than a mexican herbalife downline.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
They may never blow up buildings or commit ritualistic suicide...

Actually, the whole blood issue has led to instances where JWs have in essence committed suicide because they have refused blood for life saving purposes. I'd say thats not far off from suicide. Its bad when an adult makes this decision IMO, but imagine a JW parent making this kind of decision for their children. For those people who have children in this religion, do you know what would happen if an unforeseen situation like this happened? Would your child refuse life saving blood, would the other parent also refuse, would you have a bunch of JWs pressuring you? Yeah, JWs aren't so bad until shit hits the fan.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I didnt read most of this thread because its about 1AM but here's my point of view.

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. I never got baptized into it, but I went preaching, I went to the kingdom hall, I prayed, I met my wife at one of their conventions, etc. I havent been to a meeting other than their yearly Memorial in about 5 years, but Ive never been what you'd call devout. My mom, on the other hand is 100% devout. Shes realized that telling me "i wish youd come back to meetings" isnt going to get be back there, so she's calmed down a bit, but she still brings it up from time to time. My wife is a JW, and fairly devout, as is her family, my sister and her husband, etc.

My mom has breast cancer. She was diagnosed last year, and just two weeks ago she finished her last bout of chemotherapy. But at this point, I have no idea if shes going to survive. When she was first diagnosed and trying to get her health insurance all set up to pay for it, she was having issues with MDAnderson accepting it. She prayed and prayed and prayed. And finally, MDAnderson accepted her insurance. The first thing she did was call me crying that she was so thankful to Jehovah that he worked things around so MDAnderson would accept her Medicaid/care. She said that god was so loving, and understanding that he touched the insurance company's hearts, so they would be accept her insurance.

Here's the thing.

How is a god so fucking powerful that he can make hospitals and insurance companies talk to each other for treatment.... but his all-powerful might can't seem to get a grasp on preventing cancer?

My brother/sister in law who are also JWs just 'praised jehovah' because he saw fit to allow them to work part time, and still afford their bills. So god can make sure your part-time schedule works for you so you can go knock on more doors. Praise god! But hang on.. cancer? Thats just too much. Can't pull that shit off.

I used to argue for them. I used to say "look, if I had to pick a religion, Id pick JWs because it just makes sense to me. It works with how I feel about the world/universe/where/who we are." Ive read the bible a couple of times in the time that I used to go to their meetings, and for a time, it made sense to me.

But honestly, fuck that religion. Fuck religion in general. Fuck the non-existent entity that humans refer to as God

There is no Jehovah. There is no Jesus. There is no Messiah. There is no Buddha. There is no Brahma. There is no *INSERT RANDOM GOD NAME HERE.*

I mean this in the most respectful way, OP, but - tell your daughter to stop fucking with that shit. It's a waste of time, and a heartache. Tell her to live her life. Tell her to find more meaning in her life through her career, through love of a significant other, through family. Get her away from all the bullshit religion out there.

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot this little tidbit. Last year before my nephew was born, my mom and her now ex-husband got into an argument that ended up with his hands around her neck. Somehow, she got away from him and ran to her brothers. She left him for 3 months. Then she went back to him, and they had a little 'talk' with some of the elders (priests) in their congregation. I was there. I almost murdered him for it. Nothing was done to him in the congregation. My mom decided that she'd stay with him, but if there was an inkling of mistreatment, she'd bail on the spot. Ive made my peace with possibly ending him and going to jail for it. That's something I can live with.

She stayed with him for a few more months, and some of the other elders persuaded her to stay with him because its what "god would want" due to the sanctity of marriage. She finally did leave him after continued verbal abuse. Now he's still where they used to live and badmouthing her and saying that she went crazy because of the cancer, and left him. And as of yet, nothing has been done about the initial attack. Not that the JWs can do anything legally, obviously. But I mean they never reprimanded him, or anything.

Fuck Jehovah's Witnesses.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I mean, there definitely was a Jesus and Buddha. But J-Man definitely isn't the son of God and Buddha was about 2,600 years early to getting some easy tail at hippie communes.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
edit: Oh yeah, I forgot this little tidbit. Last year before my nephew was born, my mom and her now ex-husband got into an argument that ended up with his hands around her neck. Somehow, she got away from him and ran to her brothers. She left him for 3 months. Then she went back to him, and they had a little 'talk' with some of the elders (priests) in their congregation. I was there. I almost murdered him for it. Nothing was done to him in the congregation. My mom decided that she'd stay with him, but if there was an inkling of mistreatment, she'd bail on the spot. Ive made my peace with possibly ending him and going to jail for it. That's something I can live with.

She stayed with him for a few more months, and some of the other elders persuaded her to stay with him because its what "god would want" due to the sanctity of marriage. She finally did leave him after continued verbal abuse. Now he's still where they used to live and badmouthing her and saying that she went crazy because of the cancer, and left him. And as of yet, nothing has been done about the initial attack. Not that the JWs can do anything legally, obviously. But I mean they never reprimanded him, or anything.

Fuck Jehovah's Witnesses.

Was she discouraged from going to the authorities?

Yeah, my understanding is that short of cheating, divorce is difficult to obtain when you are a JW, even in cases of abuse, the victim is encouraged to stay with the other person. Maybe just get some counseling or praying more. Its crazy.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Was she discouraged from going to the authorities?

Yeah, my understanding is that short of cheating, divorce is difficult to obtain when you are a JW, even in cases of abuse, the victim is encouraged to stay with the other person. Maybe just get some counseling or praying more. Its crazy.
No, she wasn't discouraged in that way. I'll give them that. She specifically decided not to call the cops on him. But he requested that cops be present if I was involved with the meeting.

They weren't.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yeah, religion and chronic health conditions, I don't get it.

There was this one woman I talked to recently, she vomits uncontrollably in her sleep, and her gag reflex doesn't work anymore (Multiple Sclerosis destroyed the nerves that control it), so she can't keep liquids or solids from going down her airway at all. For her, everyday is a battle to literally not drown in her own puke, even her doctor doesn't understand how she's still alive, and she still fervently believes in God. What could she have possibly done in her life where He'd punish her like that? No kind/just deity would inflict that kind of suffering on anyone. I didn't say anything to her about her faith, because if that's all that's keeping her going, who am I to try to shake it (not that I believe that I could).

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, religion and chronic health conditions, I don't get it.

There was this one woman I talked to recently, she vomits uncontrollably in her sleep, and her gag reflex doesn't work anymore (Multiple Sclerosis destroyed the nerves that control it), so she can't keep liquids or solids from going down her airway at all. For her, everyday is a battle to literally not drown in her own puke, even her doctor doesn't understand how she's still alive, and she still fervently believes in God. What could she have possibly done in her life where He'd punish her like that? No kind/just deity would inflict that kind of suffering on anyone. I didn't say anything to her about her faith, because if that's all that's keeping her going, who am I to try to shake it (not that I believe that I could).

The idea is sins (wrongdoings) committed by people need to be accounted for somehow. Bearing ones own sufferings for the sake of others does more good and reconciles more sins than if one were to do it for themselves. It ties into that whole "love thy neighbor" thing Jesus taught to people. He also said there is no greater love than laying down one's life for their friend.

Look at it this way, if you can't find something to live for, at least find something to die for.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year