Different Religion

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I grew up in the damned JW's. Made me emotionally and socially stunted and immature. Took a loooong time to let go of all that BS.
OP, I'm so sorry for your situation. You literally may face a daughter who refuses to speak to you if your wife decides you are "bad influence."

If I may, a book that REALLY helped my sister and I when leaving that cult might help you. It was written by one of their former Governing Body members, Raymond Franz. It 'reveals' a lot of what goes on behind the scenes with that organization, and when that shroud of mystical "direct line to god" is lifted, it's much easier to see the truth about the "TRUTH" as they like to call themselves.
https://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Consc...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch
Best of luck man, I wouldn't wish your situation on anyone.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I was recently watching a Dateline or 20/20 about a JW family. The husband / father started assaulting and raping the wife. She asked the elders if she could get a divorce. They said no and that the wife's job was to serve the husband no matter what. Eventually he killed her. There are several stories like this, even one this year; a shunned member killed her family and then herself. I'm not saying that JWs are prone to this type of stuff, but it's a slippery slope.

Marek

Banned
If you let your kid study with a fucking cult you shouldnt be surprised that they join the cult

Sorry about your kid, but cults are cults.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
If you let your kid study with a fucking cult you shouldnt be surprised that they join the cult

Sorry about your kid, but cults are cults.

+1

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I agree with your daughter, celebrating birthdays is dumb. Who wants to be one year closer to the grave? Who cares about how many years you have on this mortal coil when you can have eternal life!

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
JW are fucking garbage...

Pretty much all organized religion is.

Stupid fucking bitches.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is what happens when couples have religious differences. For couples who can make it work, there's usually an existing balance that works as long as no one messes with it; a sort of religious ceasefire almost. However, if something upsets the existing arrangement (in this case your daughter) it throws things into chaos.

If you're going to allow the kids to attend your wife's church, then I would provide them with your own alternative sources. Give the kids options. It's important to ask your kids what they think and not force them to think one way or another. Let them arrive what their own choices. Whatever you don't like about your wife's church, provide an alternative. If your wife has a problem with that, sounds like she doesn't respect your feelings that much.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Roll with it. You know how much money you'll save on Christmas and birthdays? Or use that...."oh i was going to get you the new iphone, but you don't get big gifts like that outside of Christmas or birthdays. Sorry!"

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It's amazing how you can tell whose been forced to deal with JWs and who hasn't from their posts.

Well, not amazing, sad really. Like HDR must have thought he did because of his wife but now he's concerned about what to do.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was recently watching a Dateline or 20/20 about a JW family. The husband / father started assaulting and raping the wife. She asked the elders if she could get a divorce. They said no and that the wife's job was to serve the husband no matter what. Eventually he killed her. There are several stories like this, even one this year; a shunned member killed her family and then herself. I'm not saying that JWs are prone to this type of stuff, but it's a slippery slope.

This is not atypical for JW . I remember attending several JW weddings. I was astonished at how focused it was on serving the husband. The majority of the ceremony was around making sure the husband was ....taken care of. And the wife's job is to ...obey.

This brings up another good point for the OP. Christian values are one thing. JW is also setting up your daughter for a life of misogyny.

Calling it a cult will not likely help your case with your daughter. You need to use good ol practical logic, reasoning, and even Christian logic. I'm no Christian, but I can tell you the stuff from Hank Hanegraaff(bible answer man) is quite good at dealing with other Christian factions.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I was raised and confirmed Luthern in 9th grade.
Stopped going to church from age 19-41.

The services my Mom went to and my Dad go to are fire and brimstone and traditional.

My girlfriend drags me to a contemporary service with modern music. It's a little easier to deal with, although they have endless seminars, bible studies, etc.
With my parents, you go to church on Sun. and that's it. With my g/fs church, it goes on and on.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My sister is her pastor's secretary so she's busy everyday with church activities.

Your right Greg, modern churches try to be an everyday part of the community not just Sunday.

We avoid the subject of organized religion because I say it's corrupt. I do have christian views but churches are about making money.

If you ever watch Left Behind, a rapture film, a pastor's congregation goes to heaven but the pastor didn't since he was good at his job but was just a scammer. Very funny!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I am well aware of various religions INCLUDING JW and if his daughter is growing up to be like his wife of twenty years,he has absolutely nothing to be worried about.
A real worry imo would be that, "my 15 yr old daughter is pregnant","she's on heroin","she's prostituting",she's in a gang","she's a theif and we don't trust her.", "We are afraid that are 15 year old daughter may harm us so we lock our bedroom door at night."
BB

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
BB's point is perfectly understandable if you grew up in the hood. I've personally seen religion do worse to a family than any of that though so I get Syn's point as well. At least she's not becoming a jihadist and won't go on a suicide mission to Gaza so there's that. Hopefully HDR can figure this shit out asap.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
BB's point is perfectly understandable if you grew up in the hood. I've personally seen religion do worse to a family than any of that though so I get Syn's point as well. At least she's not becoming a jihadist and won't go on a suicide mission to Gaza so there's that. Hopefully HDR can figure this shit out asap.

That's a good point. I guess it depends exactly what you are replacing in your life with religion. If you get out of gang violence by "finding god", or kick an addiction through the 12 steps program and replace it with god then yeah, I can see it being the lesser of evils. What's tragic in this case is it sounds like she's replacing a promising life of comfort and success with a life of servitude to full of shit men and brainwashing.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
:(
poor girl.
her days are numbered, thanks to the 'parents' and the complicity.
like those other fables, such as saint nicholas, and the easter bunny, a CRIME against the mind.
FREE WILL isn't free when under the boots of.
don't care the religion, it's all the same from this standpoint.
put the fear of god and certain painful death into the flock....
i blame them just as much for not grabbing a gat and chewing up the jimmy savile at the podium.
i come from a so-called 'religious' background, based on fear and loathing, guess how it worked out for the XO's?
to paraphrase martin luther king:
a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
let the lady do her own thing, and at the same time, make peace with whatever deities that will grant you mercy.
if and when her eyes open, she won't be forgiving, and rightly so.
keep foot soldier doctrines away from children, it WILL come back to collect in the end. :(

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I love people comparing the JW cult to other various religions. Makes you sound knowledgeable and stuff, lol.

I get your point BB and if it were anything but JW (or muslim) you'd be right!

But this is about JW. I want more for people's daughters even if I haven't met them.

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
HATE, is what fuels my rockets.
i see no evidence to the contrary.
also, history has a way of keeping track.
the last jovos that showed up @ my door (same for others) got a FREE taxi ride in an ambulance.
how DARE they knock at my door, and not expect a KROGAN! :mad:
back your shit, prove any religion or brainwashing belief system is any better. :p
[edit]
keys.

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
NO!
i bumrushed them, with a huge staffy bulterrier backing me up.
sad thing was, he didn't get to nosh on them, i resolved the situation quick time. :D

StevenK

10 Year Member
NO!
i bumrushed them, with a huge staffy bulterrier backing me up.
sad thing was, he didn't get to nosh on them, i resolved the situation quick time. :D

You do know that everyone knows this didn't happen, don't you?

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
do they? :D (so, stevo the collectivist traitor, are you speaking for everybody?)
you seem to speculate much, a CRIME in itself, treason even.
you leftist bullshit is what's killing MY country.
are you a muslim?
a white traitor?
doesn't matter, as long as my door isn't bothered....:p
speak for me if you can, see where it lands you.

StevenK

10 Year Member
do they? :D (so, stevo the collectivist traitor, are you speaking for everybody?)
you seem to speculate much, a CRIME in itself, treason even.
you leftist bullshit is what's killing MY country.
are you a muslim?
a white traitor?
doesn't matter, as long as my door isn't bothered....:p
speak for me if you can, see where it lands you.

I could be all of these things, I could be none of them, it's irrelevant. I'm merely pointing out that you're lying.