Different Religion

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
My mother-in-law is a JW; they swooped in at a time in her life when she felt broken after her husband left, and she's been at zealot level ever since. She got my wife and her sister tangled up in it when they were young, but my wife moved across country (where we met in BC) and decided for herself that the logic was/is fundamentally flawed and the thinking archaic (woman serves the man, etc.). For the first few years of our marriage, my not being a JW was a point of contention between my wife and her mother.

For the longest time, it was to a point where, when we'd go to my folk's for Christmas, we couldn't even say the word 'Christmas' in my mother-in-law's presence without getting an earful. Now, years later, and after being respectful of her beliefs and showing temperance on the subject, we can talk about these things and she understands that we have our views and she hers when it comes to non-secular holidays and celebrations like birthdays.

The stance I've always taken with JWs about this sort of thing is, if life is a precious gift, then how can it be wrong to celebrate it with loved ones? It's not about stuff, like gifts, but about celebrating everything that's added to that person over another year, and reflecting upon the years that have been that make them who they are. Christmas is about family to me, and so I will always say that, despite how hectic life can be year round, Christmas is an opportunity to stop and drop everything and just celebrate being together.
I'm over simplifying it with greeting card language, but maybe the prudent course here would be a gentle reminder for your daughter as to what these kinds of celebrations really mean on an emotional level, a human level, but in a way that isn't preachy or suggests consequence (like, "if you don't go, you'll regret it later!"...that never works.)

I too have seen people that cut out family members who don't join the fold, as it's pressed into them that they should stay away from any influence that goes against the teachings. My wife was still getting jeers when we lived in Toronto after she left the religion when former 'brothers' and 'sisters' would see her out and about.
HDR, I hope you're able to keep your daughter from going too deep down that rabbit hole. Patience with kids is key, they want to discover things for themselves, and you've spoken with confidence in the past of the job you and your wife have done raising your children, so - and no pun intended here - have faith that they will make the right choices, mentally, physically, and spiritually.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
they swooped in at a time in her life when she felt broken after her husband left
I too have seen people that cut out family members who don't join the fold, as it's pressed into them that they should stay away from any influence that goes against the teachings.

Yeah, this is why I call it a cult. It fits the playbook so well it's scary. JW is Scientology for non-celebrities.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You should have a heart to heart chat with her based on logic, I'm thinking she's still young enough to be saved, and it's important that you do so.

You could say she needs to be saved from being saved.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, you're in a no-win situation. Like Sin said, you screwed yourself at "I do".

First and foremost, do NOT talk to the daughter. A 15-year-old girl is going to do exactly the opposite of what you say no matter how your frame the conversation. Add cult brainwashing in to the mix and you need to stay as far away as possible as you'll only push her away further if you try to intervene.

However, from the sound of it, your wife might be the better person to talk to. If she's as surprised and non-militant about the whole thing as you say she is, you may want to explain your concerns to her and frame it as being worried that you've seen what happens when JWs ex-communicate friends and family and that you would be one of the first people on the chopping block.

If your wife is understanding, perhaps then you could use that as an angle to work together to make sure your daughter doesn't fall too deep down the rabbit hole.

If your wife is not understanding and gets defensive... you're fucked. Like proper fucked and the only thing you can do is hope that your daughter is smart enough to realize what a joke it is on her own. Which from the sound of it, is the opposite of what's currently happening.

The only difference between a cult and a religion is time and size. Christianity was an apocalyptic Jewish cult.

Like Joe Rogan said in one of his specials: "In a cult, it's bullshit and one dude made it who knows it's bullshit. In a religion, that guy's dead."

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Wow, I am really surprised to see the amount of experience people have with JWs here.

HDR, who is your daughter doing studies with? Remember, ultimately a JWs relationship with God (and the Governing Body) is supposed to come before any other relationship, including family. So, it is entirely possible a JW may go against the wishes of their family if they think it is in opposition to what they should be doing as a JW, sometimes, even cutting off relationships with family. This is the reason JWs are encouraged not to associate with anyone outside of the religion (except to try and convert them), because as they beleive, associating with such people would only jeapordize their relationship with God. So, if the influence of the Governing Body is bigger than yours and your wife's in your daughter's life, it is likely that she will continue to become more indoctrinated and align herself more with the expectations of the Governing Body than what you and your wife may want for her...she may even get baptized (if she hasn't already). How can you stop this? I think the only way would be for your family (all of you) to make a clean break from this religion. Easier said than done. But otherwise, your child may always feel this tug between the Governing Body and her parents...and you may be surprised which side she ends up on the end. That is the level of influence the Governing Body can have.

Just on a side note, I was introduced to this religion by a girl I used to date. I am Catholic, but I began to practice this religion because I wanted to be with this girl. I went to meetings, did studies, etc. But as time went by, it was clear to her that I would not adopt the more radical practices of this religion (the blood issue, separating from non-JW family, etc.) and I sure as hell was not going to change her, so our relationship ended painfully. But in the long run, I am better for it; this religion is fucking nuts and I could not imagine doing that to myself, my family, or bringing kids into it.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
it's all mongo shit.
and because it's all mongo shit I stopped caring after getting my confirmation money.
religion is one of the great evils in our world.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
And this is about one of the more vile forms.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
OP: you are trying to find a problem where there isn't one. You should consider yourself extremely lucky that your daughter is not the opposite of what you described. Is your daughter disrespectful? doing drugs?? Getting tatoos/piercings? Is she fornicating? cutting class/school?
Your daughter doesn't need a holiday as an excuse to spend tme with friends and family.
There's brainwashing to sin and then there is brainwashing not to... I'd choose the later.
BB

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
it's all mongo shit.
and because it's all mongo shit I stopped caring after getting my confirmation money.
religion is one of the great evils in our world.

It really has stifled societal evolution in my eyes. I wasn't a fan of Angel and Demons, but Ewan had a speech in it which really said alot about the current state of religion in the face of scientific fact. In a nutshell he said religion was great years ago to give people a direction in life, but nowadays it's hurting more than helping. On top of that, all these fake ass people swindling innocents aren't making it any better. Fucking Joel Olsteen needs to get his shit kicked in.

Spoiler:
Joel%20Olsteen.JPG

That has to be one of the top 5 most punchable faces ever.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
BB have you had a family member or close friend deal with JWs? It sounds like you haven't honestly.

There is brainwashing involved beyond normal religions.

His daughter is on the line here. This is serious.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I am well aware of various religions and if the religion has a positive affect on the child where the child is not engaging in the ills of society I listed previously,that is a BIG PLUS imo.
BB
BB have you had a family member or close friend deal with JWs? It sounds like you haven't honestly.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I am well aware of various religions and if the religion has a positive affect on the child where the child is not engaging in the ills of society I listed previously,that is a BIG PLUS imo.
BB

Religion is one of the ills of society.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sounds like you’re really enjoying the restraints of your secular beliefs.

I stopped caring after getting my confirmation money.

I don’t remember getting confirmation money.

Ripped off... :/

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Thats more or less the norm up here. I bought a PSone from it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

:lolz:

I went to a catholic high school and we had mass once a week but religious studies actually covered ALL religions from Aboriginal studies to Islam. It was quite educational really, opened your eyes and ultimately provided a neutral viewpoint from which to make up your own mind from. I never had a religious upbringing and a church was only attended whenever there was a funeral or a wedding.

Too much of a focus on one religion is dangerous, educate from an observers point of view across all religions if they're intrigued by it.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Best of luck in your situation. I respect anyone’s choice (or no choice) of religion, but JW is one that doesn’t always blend with modern culture.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

BB

So that's a no, you don't know anyone .

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
At least I tried > I should have done something when I had the chance.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Who do you want molding your child's world views? Your family or the church?
Your daughter is not an adult. She is quite impressionable and the church knows this. Their whole system is built around recruitment and indoctrination.

You don't have to agree with the church on everything, but you will need to be prepared with good reasoning. A lot of church schools spend time preparing kids to defend the church's positions. Especially Jehovah Witnesses.

Be respectful, but be logical.

I knew several JW families growing up. They completely disowned their daughters when they decided to leave the church. Those that left were so relieved once they were out.

equip.org is a good resource if you want to defend your own christian value's over the Watchtower. I'm not a religious person, but I did listen to apologetics debate christian factions. It's fascinating from an outsider's perspective.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
i let some Jehovahs witnesses in five months ago because it was snowing outside when they knocked, and they are still knocking on my door trying to convert me although i made it clear that i'm not interested.

That's funny. I typically tell those Lighthouse people that I am a devil worshipper and never see them again.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I guess my advice would be to stress the importance of balance in life to your daughter. Being religious is fine, but it shouldn't be all-consuming either.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Not really, like i said we been together for 20years now, that's a lot in this day in age.
Word!

She kept her figure despite having 3 kids & still looks like in her 20s. She also has a good paying job as a pharmacist. We have an active sex life, i dont have regrets.
Pics? :D

Wife was a bit surprise too that she wanted to skip the birthdays. Might have to come up with a plan without causing her to rebel.
Your wife was surprised too? Dude.....not to worry you, but that isn't a good sign, at all!
If even she is surprised, it means she didn't expect it. Talk to your wife about this and let us know what she says.

That's funny. I typically tell those Lighthouse people that I am a devil worshipper and never see them again.
Black metal does the trick. Blast some old Dark Funeral.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
OP needs to immediately start doing absolutely everything in his power to ensure that his daughter doesn't somehow marry a guy like Smokehouse when she turns 18.
What's up with Smokehouse?