Different Religion

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So just background, my wife & i has been together for 20 years now. We have a great relationship despite having two different religion. She was raise as a Jehovah Witness & i Catholic so yeah very different.

Both of us aren't that devoted, me less so over the years. My wife on the other hand still goes to her meetings but still do the other things like celebrations of holidays. With kids she wanted them to have bible studies, which i also did before i married her. It really wasn't for me and was hoping wont be for the kids either.

So fast forward a few years now & my oldest is really getting into the whole bible study. Today i was made aware that she will not be attending her cousins birthday & also not attend one of her closest friends birthday this saturday. If this keeps on trending, doesn't look like no Christmas celebration either.

Im not really liking this & i know its ultimately my daughter's decision. I think with my relationship with her though, i can still influence her to celebrate holidays.

Should i just respect her decision or influence her not to get too crazy with the whole religion brain washing.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I say talk to her regarding the importance of family and friends outside of the religion.

How old are the kids?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Yeah, JW's are a nightmare to deal with.

You better watch yourself or you'll lose touch with your daughter. I've seen JWs distance themselves from family members who didn't believe.

It's only been in the last 50 years or so that their beliefs were elevated from a cult to a religion.

I feel for you but don't expect to hear anything good about this situation.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
It really depends on the age of your kid. My wife was raised Mormon, but thank god we're both hell bound atheists now.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I say talk to her regarding the importance of family and friends outside of the religion.

How old are the kids?

The oldest is 15 years old. So far she has been a really great kid, straight A student, excel in all the sports, & the lead violinist in orchestra. Gets along with everyone & im just worried like Syn mention start separating herself with non JWs.

I've witness first hand JW's ex-communicating someone & makes me sick to my stomach. The same with Catholics taking your money. That's why i really had a falling out with religion/congregations who are just bunch of judgmental hypocrites. I say a majority of JW are nice people and have good values...Then again there are the extreme old fashion views like no blood transfusion & not celebrating holidays.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
You should have a heart to heart chat with her based on logic, I'm thinking she's still young enough to be saved, and it's important that you do so.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Going to need wife pics prior to making a decision on this matter.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Yeah, JW's are a nightmare to deal with.

You better watch yourself or you'll lose touch with your daughter. I've seen JWs distance themselves from family members who didn't believe.

It's only been in the last 50 years or so that their beliefs were elevated from a cult to a religion.

I feel for you but don't expect to hear anything good about this situation.

i let some Jehovahs witnesses in five months ago because it was snowing outside when they knocked, and they are still knocking on my door trying to convert me although i made it clear that i'm not interested.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You should have a heart to heart chat with her based on logic, I'm thinking she's still young enough to be saved, and it's important that you do so.

What you view as a heart to heart is viewed as challenging, persecution or whatever. Religion isn't logical especially in this case.

He's mentioned seeing excommunicating already.

You have to bite your tongue and wait for the right moment when she has a doubt.

Talk to your wife about your concerns, she's your best option as mads mentioned.

Last edited:

StevenK

10 Year Member
What you view as a heart to heart is viewed as challenging, persecution or whatever. Religion isn't logical especially in this case.

He's mentioned seeing excommunicating already.

You have to bite your tongue and wait for the right moment when she has a doubt.

Then he's left it too late already, and has really fucked up on this one.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
To be honest, at the girl's age, whether it be political or religious, SHE should make the choice not a parental figure. This is why I don't care for organized religion. Have whatever belief you want, BUT DON'T impose it on someone else.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
OP needs to immediately start doing absolutely everything in his power to ensure that his daughter doesn't somehow marry a guy like Smokehouse when she turns 18.

StevenK

10 Year Member
To be honest, at the girl's age, whether it be political or religious, SHE should make the choice not a parental figure. This is why I don't care for organized religion. Have whatever belief you want, BUT DON'T impose it on someone else.

At 15 years old you have an immense amount of influence on your child still. I don't think you should be standing back and watching your kid throw their life away on this shit, you wouldn't just sit by silently while they huffed glue in your living room so why would you stand aside and let them disassociate from reality through some brainwash cult?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
JW is a cult.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
At 15 years old you have an immense amount of influence on your child still. I don't think you should be standing back and watching your kid throw their life away on this shit, you wouldn't just sit by silently while they huffed glue in your living room so why would you stand aside and let them disassociate from reality through some brainwash cult?

Oh I'm not saying stand by, but expose all of it to her, both sides. Let her make her decision.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I used to be married to one and used to go to the Kingdom Hall myself for a good while. I could expound volumes on the subject, but rather will put it this way. After all my time spent with them, I think more a cult than religion. That's just my personal opinion from my past experiences.

On an aside.
Growing up one of my friends fathers was professional alcoholic.
He told me one time he had gotten so drunk, that when two jehovah's witnesses came to his door, he invited in.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Agreed. And if her decision is wrong, try again.

:lolz:

Well to be honest, I think all religion is a farce, in this day and age it has no place except for the...... eh im not going there. I'm not a fan. We'll leave it at that.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Then he's left it too late already, and has really fucked up on this one.

I didn't want to be so blunt but he screwed himself at I do.

Mothers decide their childs spiritual growth in almost every case.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So just background, my wife & i has been together for 20 years now. We have a great relationship despite having two different religion. She was raise as a Jehovah Witness & i Catholic so yeah very different.

Both of us aren't that devoted, me less so over the years. My wife on the other hand still goes to her meetings but still do the other things like celebrations of holidays. With kids she wanted them to have bible studies, which i also did before i married her. It really wasn't for me and was hoping wont be for the kids either.

So fast forward a few years now & my oldest is really getting into the whole bible study. Today i was made aware that she will not be attending her cousins birthday & also not attend one of her closest friends birthday this saturday. If this keeps on trending, doesn't look like no Christmas celebration either.

Im not really liking this & i know its ultimately my daughter's decision. I think with my relationship with her though, i can still influence her to celebrate holidays.

Should i just respect her decision or influence her not to get too crazy with the whole religion brain washing.

You should do what you told us you do to your other kids and mercilessly berate them about it.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I didn't want to be so blunt but he screwed himself at I do.

Not really, like i said we been together for 20years now, that's a lot in this day in age. She kept her figure despite having 3 kids & still looks like in her 20s. She also has a good paying job as a pharmacist. We have an active sex life, i dont have regrets.

Wife was a bit surprise too that she wanted to skip the birthdays. Might have to come up with a plan without causing her to rebel.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I almost married a Catholic lady but I would have to lie and say I was too to the priest. I try not to lie plus priests and nuns creep me out.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I almost married a Catholic lady but I would have to lie and say I was too to the priest. I try not to lie plus priests and nuns creep me out.

latest

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I never liked Seinfeld but I hope others get it!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I used to be a fervent believer in natural selection but something's been wrong with it for some time now. I'd say help your kid before it's too late bro.