Different Religion

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
We have this JW dude at my work and recently I had to get into it with him because he told a 19 year old girl that females are "just a receptacle for the male seed"

dude is constantly pushing watchtower subscriptions at people.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My control pad is shot, so, whenever I try to bum rush Jehovah's Witnesses, Sabin fails and has to read an entire copy of Watchtower, front-to-back, as punishment, which also results in a permanent one point loss to his stamina and magic defense. It's better to run from the battle.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
My control pad is shot, so, whenever I try to bum rush Jehovah's Witnesses, Sabin fails and has to read an entire copy of Watchtower, front-to-back, as punishment, which also results in a permanent one point loss to his stamina and magic defense. It's better to run from the battle.

lol

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Any excuse to post this gif.

tumblr_mw01slxcif1r29dxeo4_500.gif

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Why are you guys using the word "Church" in regards to JW? The actual catholic church has nothing to do with JW. Lutheran, Anglican, Orthodox and so on all have infinitely more to do with "The Church" than JW ever will.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Don't know about Canada but in the US numbers decide church, cult, etc and they have enough members for church status.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Is Church a catch-all word in the US? Are muslims and jews part of the church too? Up here Church is strictly the catholic/christian denominations, orthodox, roman catholic, anglican, etc.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Yes

Obviously, Muslims attend a mosque, Jews a synagogue.

It's more than likely decided by the IRS or other government organization.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Is Church a catch-all word in the US? Are muslims and jews part of the church too? Up here Church is strictly the catholic/christian denominations, orthodox, roman catholic, anglican, etc.

It's a lazy catch-all used because Americans see everything as "church" regardless of faith/denomination. When my wife and I first moved to the south, there were people at her job who were confused because she wasn't interested in participating in their prayer circles at work. When she told them she was Jewish (culturally), they asked "but you still believe in Jesus, right? and "but you still go to church, right?" She half-heartedly tried to explain but when it became clear they weren't going to get it, she changed the subject. Plus she was worried that they would fire her if she told them she was an atheist. Not long after, one of her colleagues was "coincidentally" fired after coming out.

It's less that they think Muslims or Jews are part of "the Church" and more that many are so ignorant that they just assume everyone goes to "church".

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
huh!?
nice username change. :(
@ stevo.
if you say so.... :p
Spoiler:
hatsune-miku-92.jpeg
still stand by my original statement:
parents that indoctrinate their children, deserve ZERO mercy. :mad:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ahh, religion... well, we all meet assertive assholes at some point, but to think that religion has something to do with what they are is a myth. My wive is Lutheran, I'm Catholic but we are who we are, everything else is just an excuse. If you want to use that excuse to condemn other people, because you're religious, fine, it tells me something about you, if you want to condemn others because you are free of religion, fine, it's also telling, after all, we all met assertive assholes, right? They'll all have their excuses, and there's a whole lot of them to choose from, religion/non-religion just happens to be the most popular.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
This is not atypical for JW . I remember attending several JW weddings. I was astonished at how focused it was on serving the husband. The majority of the ceremony was around making sure the husband was ....taken care of. And the wife's job is to ...obey.

This brings up another good point for the OP. Christian values are one thing. JW is also setting up your daughter for a life of misogyny.

Calling it a cult will not likely help your case with your daughter. You need to use good ol practical logic, reasoning, and even Christian logic. I'm no Christian, but I can tell you the stuff from Hank Hanegraaff(bible answer man) is quite good at dealing with other Christian factions.

Oh, I meant things ending in murder isn't typical. I'm sure the misogyny is rampant.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I've been around JW for a long time, its nothing that bad...They are just god fearing trying to be good at all times. I have never witness any misogyny if anything the women are more vocal then the men from what i have encountered.

Its a lot worse then i thought. The wife & i tried talking to her the other day & she basically broke down crying feeling we are against her. This is the first time she has shown any type of emotion or even talking back. I guess all is loss but hopefully i at least planted a seed in her head. So when she has doubts she will remember our conversation. I dont think ill push it any further for now and just build our relationship from there. Like i said majority JW are good people that i have met. Even the wife's family members are outstanding citizen.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Religion puts fear in people, you just said it yourself. Not just JW, ALL religions.

What happened to just enjoying life and being good to your fellow neighbour.

Religion doesn’t teach morals or decency.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You've handled it the best way possible. All you can do is let her know you and mom are there for her with unconditional love & respect.

It is heartbreaking that your family is dealing with it.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Religion puts fear in people, you just said it yourself. Not just JW, ALL religions.

What happened to just enjoying life and being good to your fellow neighbour.

Religion doesn’t teach morals or decency.

The church i go to is at least 90% morals, decency, helping the less fortunate, being selfless, carrying about others and being the best person you can be as often as you can. Ask of that is based on the bible and religion. Most everything revolves around becoming a better (nice/kind) person and helping people. The rest is praising the Lord. Just this weekend i went out with a group of guys and worked in the yards of some elderly and disabled people. I've been going to the same place for almost 3 years and haven't heard one message that revolved around fear. It's not a "be good or else" message as much as a "be good because it's what God wants". There's really no talk of "if you don't you'll go to hell!" at my church. It's more of a "let's do good things because that's what a person who believes in God should represent". Everyone who's not religious will always say it's "fear" or a "crutch", but i see it more as reminder and a way to get focused on living a positive life where you care about and help others. If that's the end product, nobody should complain or bash the means of getting there.

I haven't been to a lot of different churches and remember fear being a big part of Sunday school as a kid, but not all churches are like that.

My brother goes to a church that is focused on bringing inner city folks to God and away from lives revolving around drugs and gangs. How can people be mad about that?

If you don't believe in God, that's your choice, but even if you take that part out of the picture, a lot of churches bring a lot of good to a lot of communities. If that end product is there, then the means to getting there and reason why people are out there doing that (to honor God or in fear of God) shouldn't matter or bother you. Either way, good is getting done.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
oh yeah, if anything like that were going on, the guys would notice

:thevt:

I'll cosign this. One of the the ladies I worked with for years at Costco, her husband was what most of us considered rude as fuck to his wife more often than not in front of us.

The store manager banned him from the store over it. Unfortunately she quit over the phone that day when she got home. She was so nice and a hard worker it sucked. 7 years gone in the blink of an eye.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I guess what I meant to say is, Religion is not necessary to be inherently decent and have good morals, though I agree that a lot of religions profess this. If you believing in a higher power makes you feel better, happier, safe... then power to you. But when it does instill fear, creates rules, bounds and suppresses, then it is a problem.

People shouldn’t need Religion to feel secure and happy, or to have purpose in life.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Religion has always been susceptible to abuse. From the Crusades to priests being gay, pedos, screwing nuns and fetuses found in the bowels of churches/convents.

Bad people as well as good claim to be religious.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I've been around JW for a long time, its nothing that bad...They are just god fearing trying to be good at all times. I have never witness any misogyny if anything the women are more vocal then the men from what i have encountered.

Its a lot worse then i thought. The wife & i tried talking to her the other day & she basically broke down crying feeling we are against her. This is the first time she has shown any type of emotion or even talking back. I guess all is loss but hopefully i at least planted a seed in her head. So when she has doubts she will remember our conversation. I dont think ill push it any further for now and just build our relationship from there. Like i said majority JW are good people that i have met. Even the wife's family members are outstanding citizen.

Good luck man. I will just mention a couple of last things. Someone in the thread suggested the Crisis of Conscience book. I have not read it myself, but I have heard it is a very useful book. In general, there is a growing amount of books on JWs as well as information online.

There are many resources on the online you can find from a google search. I like this particular site:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com

Likewise, there are a lot of resources on youtube, from people themselves, and even documentaries. I like this one that aired in Canada not long ago:

These sources might offer some different opinions on JWs than you are used to, they might also help with your particular situation. The more information you have on the matter the better I think so you can make the best decisions.

Again, good luck.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I guess what I meant to say is, Religion is not necessary to be inherently decent and have good morals, though I agree that a lot of religions profess this. If you believing in a higher power makes you feel better, happier, safe... then power to you. But when it does instill fear, creates rules, bounds and suppresses, then it is a problem.

People shouldn’t need Religion to feel secure and happy, or to have purpose in life.

I agree, although I'm ok with the "creating rules" part. I do think it often gives people a regular (daily or most of the time weekly) reminder to be a good person though. As much as we're all caught up in our own jobs, families, relationships, financial situations, hobbies, etc etc, religion often helps people stay focused on being a good person and helping others. Maybe through fear or maybe through prayer and scripture or just a mission that a group of people share.

Can that happen without religion? Of course. Does it? Yes, it does. If i didn't go to church, would i personally be getting a group of people together to go do yard work for elderly disabled people or taking my son out to the store to put lunch bags together and hand them out to homeless people in our neighborhood? Probably not. Should i have been doing that, even without religion? I think i should have done that stuff before, but it just didn't come to mind. Maybe that says something about me as a person. Maybe religion gave me a reason to get off of my lazy butt and get out there. Maybe i was just selfish, but i don't know a lot of people that don't go to church that just get up and go decide to do stuff like that. Are there People that do that stuff that don't go to church? Of course there are, but before going to a place where doing that type of thing was discussed regularly, it wasn't a part of my daily thought process. Did i help people before? Yeah, but id say i go further out of my way to help people that i don't know now than before.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're right. People shouldn't need religion to be good people and do good things for others. But, we live in a pretty selfish world and sometimes people need a reason or reminder to even think about that stuff. Should they? No, but realistically, do many? Sadly, imo, yes. Many people need a reason, a reminder, a gentle nudge to get their minds off of themselves. I did and i thank God daily because honestly, I'm happier than I've been in a long time.

Last edited: