Thread: AES sound chip heating up

Lazy SNK Employee

AES sound chip heating up

is it normal for the AES sound chip (TM2610) to overheat? I've been having sound issues and I'm wondering if this is why.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

According to the Neo Geo Development Wiki, the original YM2610 did get quite warm during operation.

Lazy SNK Employee

thanks for the link , mine does get quite hot. I've been having sound issues on my system and I thought this may be why...but now I'm not so sure. I had the board re-capped and that didn't work either . what a pain

What kind of sound issues? If you're really concerned about it, you may want to socket the chip and replace it.

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Try putting a simple passive heat sink on it before you get into soldering replacements - that may be all it needs

Lazy SNK Employee

after the system warms up , usually after 10 mins or so the sound on the low end of the music/sound effects starts to distort and sounds like a buzzing/muffled sound, kind of hard to explain, almost like a bad ground sound effect but louder.

what's the best type of cooling fan/device that I could easily put in the neo? I'm guessing it would be hard to find a replacement chip without having another board which could be pricey
    Last edited by gamelife00; 07-17-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

You can try to see if it is the YM2610, by taking a can of compressed air, turning it upside down, and spraying the cold liquid onto the chip. The cooling down of the chip might be able to get it to work normally again, if it is truly a case of it failing due to getting too hot.

As for replacement ICs, Chinese eBay sellers sell YM2610s for $2 each or so, with free slow boat shipping. No idea if they're any good, but it's cheap enough to risk it I suppose. If you do replace it, I'd highly recommend installing a socket first. This will make it much easier to replace the chip, should the replacement be bad, or ever go bad.
    Last edited by Tech&Music; 07-17-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Lazy SNK Employee

thanks for the info mate, I'll take a look and see what I can find. I never trust those cheap Chinese components though so might be a risk ...

Thread Information