Nintendo Switches cracking?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
https://youtu.be/unZElI_0wYg

The video’s a bit long-winded, but it gets the point across. I guess a lot of people are posting pics of their switches with cracks near the heat exhaust. Mine is fine, but I don’t play it for 8 hours a day, either.

I’ve assumed a 4K Switch was on the horizon for some time now (or not. Nintendo tends to do just fine with old tech...with exceptions) But if this is any issue, maybe a revision will come sooner than later?

I was always curious about how they got away with not putting a fan in there. Maybe this is the end result?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Looks to me like people are just clumsy as fuck and don't know how to spend a few dollars on a case.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Looks like the switches had one too many thermal cycles.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
A lot of these cracks look like drops more than expanding and shrinking plastic.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
There will be a new model announced next summer. Summer of 2020 at the absolute latest.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
There will be a new model announced next summer. Summer of 2020 at the absolute latest.

Damn, summer 2019 or 2020? They can't wait that long. Pirated games are getting way too accessible now. No need for a full revamp, they just need to do some damage control and swap the Tegra X1 with a X2 asap. The sooner the better. Having the Switch+ (or whatever they're going to name it) ready for Smash Bros and Pokemon release (november I think?) would be the best move.

fake

15 Year Member
Damn, summer 2019 or 2020? They can't wait that long. Pirated games are getting way too accessible now. No need for a full revamp, they just need to do some damage control and swap the Tegra X1 with a X2 asap. The sooner the better. Having the Switch+ (or whatever they're going to name it) ready for Smash Bros and Pokemon release (november I think?) would be the best move.

I super doubt they're going to do a Switch+ first. I think that the next model will just be 4K docked and a new look with unchanged joy-cons. Two years after that launches will be the Switch+ more along the lines of the New 3DS where they'll promise a bunch of games that utilize the improved hardware but will only really release a few.

So...my best guess is:

2019. 4DS successor
2020. Swi4ch
2021. Switch+
2028. Nintendo goes 3rd party

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
A lot of these cracks look like drops more than expanding and shrinking plastic.

Possibly, but they’re all around the same area. Maybe that’s the weaker area due to the holes and it’s where the cracks go on impact. Dunno.

fake

15 Year Member
Possibly, but they’re all around the same area. Maybe that’s the weaker area due to the holes and it’s where the cracks go on impact. Dunno.

Could it have anything to do with forcing the Switch into the dock wrong? That's what she said.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Thats why ._. Wait nintendo goes 3rd party? Because consoles are obsolete due to advancements of smart tvs destroying the market? My playstation controllers always used to break.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Mine is still good but i have seen the cracked switches on youtube. Looks pretty bad and hope this isn't very widespread. I use mine more in handheld mode than i do docked and i could treat it better.

As far for a new revision? Don't get your hopes up for 4k but instead look for slightly more powerful components and improved battery life.