Thread: Shifting Tides

Cholecystectomy Required.

Shifting Tides

I don't know if it's because I'm having less time to myself, or if I'm getting older, or whatever other reasons. I feel my interests in things I enjoyed are wanting and shifting, but there's no real reason for it.

Example: I've been looking into my collection more and more and deciding to sell a lot of it when I go home for a week in August. Nothing bad, I just don't see myself enjoying games as much as I used to. Even with new Switch releases, and a flurry of buying Gohan's SFC collection of shooties, I find myself not wanting to even start a system up to play anything when I have free time. I would rather watch YouTube videos or even *gasp* read a book.

Not sure how often the older members with families have these shifting interests in games, music, movies, etc. If you stick with it, what keeps you going versus just cashing out?
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    Switch FC 0965 2531 6217

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Neo*Geomancer
    Quote Originally Posted by ggallegos1 View Post
    I don't know if it's because I'm having less time to myself, or if I'm getting older, or whatever other reasons. I feel my interests in things I enjoyed are wanting and shifting, but there's no real reason for it.

Example: I've been looking into my collection more and more and deciding to sell a lot of it when I go home for a week in August. Nothing bad, I just don't see myself enjoying games as much as I used to. Even with new Switch releases, and a flurry of buying Gohan's SFC collection of shooties, I find myself not wanting to even start a system up to play anything when I have free time. I would rather watch YouTube videos or even *gasp* read a book.

Not sure how often the older members with families have these shifting interests in games, music, movies, etc. If you stick with it, what keeps you going versus just cashing out?
    Answer is really simple. Stop collecting games. Play one game at a time. You've been scooping like crazy and probably burnt yourself out.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    Your not alone bro. With me, It's not a having as much time for it but also not having much interest. I find at the age I'm at now that it's much more rewarding fixing or doing something around my house than playing a video game. Plan on painting my Garage Floor and Sanding and Staining my doors in my house lol. When I do have some down time by myself, I'm usually just watching a movie and drinking a beer. I still play stuff here and there and definitely calmed down alot on buying games.

I would cash out all the original stuff and keep a few systems and flash carts incase you feel like messing around. I've slowly been selling off my stuff and don't miss any of it. I'll eventually end up getting rid of all the hardware. Slowly but surely.

I had a couple of dips in wanting to play in my life so far, but now I play more than I ever have. Just do something else for a bit and come back, gaming never really leaves unless you're only in it to hump.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

FFAANNYYYY
    CCUUMMMMMM
    AAANNDDEERRR!!
    I usually get really into one or two hobbies at a time and neglect all the other ones. For, like, months at a time.

If I've been playing a lot of video games, it means I'm probably not reading books or comics.
    If I've been watching a bunch of wrasslin', I'm probably behind on all the dumb super hero shows I watch.
    If I've been listening to a bunch of new bands, I'm probably not playing any games.
    If I'm on a movie kick, I'm probably way behind on my wrasslin'.

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    I had a couple of dips in wanting to play in my life so far, but now I play more than I ever have. Just do something else for a bit and come back, gaming never really leaves unless you're only in it to hump.
    Pretty much this.

Arcade gaming when I have 30 minutes or so before life calls.

Console gaming in the evening as there's not a lot I enjoy on tv.

Remembers The North
    I find myself having a hard time connecting with most gaming, books, comics and anime these days.

In every one of these interests, I've fine tuned my attention down to a few specific game/book/comic/anime series.

When I decided to sell off a shit ton of my video games, I divorced myself from my fixation on owning a lot of such things. I still have a pretty hefty game collection, and should probably trim it down even further.

It doesn't help when so many of the things that I enjoyed even as recently as five years ago have turned to absolute shit. Now, it's not enough for something to stand the test of time as evergreen pop culture fixtures. I need to judge the current incarnations as worthy successors in order for my interest to be maintained. Is the current version of a given super hero comic, for example, crafted with an understanding of the elements that made it so effective for me in the first place? Do the current curators 'get it', in my opinion? If they do, I can really enjoy it. If I feel that the current curation (of any given thing) misunderstands the essential elements (as I see them), it's hard for me to stay invested.

Things have to be intense, and test me as a consumer without violating my good will for them, in order for me to be truly invested. Vinland Saga or Wolfsmund or Gundam: The Origin are all great examples of things I love because they are all such superb executions of their premise. I can get on board with that and stay enthused.

But that's because my bar is, clearly, set pretty high. Anything less is just too easy to dismiss, although I like some throwaway content.

I am finding new nerd love in Gunpla, though. It's become my pure zen state. Time stops, worries evaporate and I find calm in that.

Also, I love spending time with my wife on the weekends and I think that's because that's just more important to me than other stuff.

"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."
    ~Jerry Holkins

"You can have the power to destroy, but it doesn't give you the power to reform, or improve, or build."
    ~George R.R. Martin

Twitch: Redfield70
    ustream: Redfield70
    Twitter: Tom Tolios
    Facebook: Tom Tolios
    Instagram: tom_tolios
    Blog: Still In The Game

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.
    Yeah, gaming should not dominate your life, time with others or keep you from maintaining your home, paying bills and the like.

If you choose, play with down time for enjoyment.

There's a reason it's now considered a mental illness depending on the individual.

Dodgeball Yakuza
    Iíve got an 18 month old, and I crave to play more than I do. But I donít because Iím a responsible adult with his priorities in Check.

But I still love it when Iíve got some down time. If I can play a couple hours a week it really helps me decompress. That said, itís a pretty low priority with kid, wife, and maintaining friendships and connections with others, which are honestly much more rewarding.

But I still love to play!

Time Soldier
    Maybe you weren't that into it to begin with.

Have you grown tired of other hobbies in the past? Some people are fickle, and some people always need something new/different. I don't think the latter makes them fickle per se.

As for me...no, I don't get tired of anything I enjoy.

I AM ONE DIMENSIONAL, I HAVE A ONE TRACK MIND, AND I WOULD RATHER DIE THAN CHANGE.

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby is doing and can I afford to take care of him while buying your stuff. HDRchampion's Avatar
    I go through dry spells in gaming...I can go months without really playing anything...Right now though there is SF 30th Anniversary & Tekken 7. I also getting my racing rig up. Im thinking of getting a PSVR. So gaming is at all time high right now. Rewind that a few months ago, not so much.

Games have always been a part of my life, but I don't invest a lot of time in them. With my wife, two kids, living in a new province with so much to see and experience, and a new house, there is just so much to do at any given time.

When I do have that feeling that I want to play something, I find that I end up having the problem of not knowing what I want to sit down with. By the time I've got it narrowed down, I'm out of time. My collection is sizeable, but well curated, and modern gaming - by and large - is of little interest to me, but I know that I will get around to what I have sooner or later.
    A big part of why I keep what I have and don't move to flash carts is that everything I've got has a story, and I remember what went into every purchase; funny moments, what it took to find certain titles, etc..
    My kids like to play the games we have, and my brother does as well, and it makes me happy to see them go on that journey of discovery as well; even if I don't have all the time in the world to play them, the games are still enjoyed and cared for and that further lends itself to making it all worth while.

The love of classic games will never go away for me, but the time I invest in them is very much tempered by responsibility, and that's okay.
    I can definitely understand and respect that people cash out and feel like they can move on, all I can speak to is that for me, it's more than just the game and that I can play it at my leisure, but the meaning behind it - the story behind it that comes to mind when I pick up the box - if you will, and that is worth more than any monetary value a game might have for me.

Cham Cham's Banana
    I think this is pretty normal, maybe even healthy. I'll go into these phases where I'm all in, completely consumed with retro games. Adding to the game library and gaming as much as I can considering I have more important obligations with my family, friends and work. But then I'll go months at a time where I'll just back way off or something else will grab my attention. But I always return to the hobby, recharged and with renewed interest.

Camel Slug
    I want to play more than I have time to. My problem is too many games and too little time to play time. I’ve been at this hobby a long time, it truely is amazing how much stuff one accumulates.

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong
    I still love gaming and do it fairly frequently as time allows, which these days is generally only a couple of hours a week. But I am so done with "collecting" games, that's just no fun at all. Collecting can be something of an adrenaline rush when you find something and get the package, but that's just the OCD/Junkie part of your brain needing its dopamine fix and it gets old. It's not really any fun, and fun is why I play video games.

Robot Master.
    Master Tasuke
    Eat Your
    Heart Out Bro'
    I think having a kid who loves gaming helps a lot. I'm just about 36 and still not burned out.
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!
    i think a lot of us are like teenagers who refuse to stop playing with toys. here we are in our late teens and still playing with thundercats toys on the bedroom floor, and our 18 year old brain just can't create the imagination or the enthusiasm to actually allow us to enjoy the plastic action figures like an 7 year old can.

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
    now that i stream on twitch I play a healthy amount of games, and it makes me really happy!!! For a while I wasn't gaming so often at all. Motivation issues and depression. But having some incentive (human interaction and camwhoring) has shown me that I still love gaming despite how bad I am at it and that I should keep playing games

You go in and out of stuff. I'm only 25 and there have been like 3 times in my life since I was a teen where I truly thought I had lost all interest in gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Wasabi View Post
    I hope Sylvie leaves you in an ice tub with one of your dismembered kidneys lodged in your asshole.

Goal! Goal! Goal!
    Same thing is happening to me
    I buy alot of PS4 games when they go on sale on PSN store and never play them. I just got my ossc and if I have used it for more than an hour is alot
    I usually just watch YouTube or Netflix.

This is happening to me too - I'm not playing older games as much as newer stuff. I've sold off most of my DC collection except for the stuff I know I'll play again. I was going to sell some of my SNES stuff, but haven't gotten around to it.

Pre-Order now to avoid disappointment.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    I have a cab with a neosd, a snes with an sd2snes, a dreamcast with a gdemu, none of these things are actually used. Hell if they vanished tomorrow I'm not sure I'd really care to be honest. This is why everything bar what I've mentioned has been sold or given away and it's only a matter of time before those things aren't here either. I'm more content watching a movie with a beer than fucking around with old games.
    This brings me to my point where a family member has mentioned something about a collection they had or something they had a lot of and you ask the inevitable question 'where is it now?' and they just shrug it off and say it's been sold or given away or in most cases 'just gone'. It'll happen to you like it does to everyone else who isn't a fucking collectard.

!!

Thread Information