• Limp Bizkit

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Korn

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I didn't come in here saying nu metal isn't metal, I just said I didn't like it.

Nu metal isn't metal. That's the point. You continue to miss many points so I'll post this one again.

As far as my awareness...well...I'm aware that many of the "symphonic metal" bands you're fond of have more in common with Nu metal than you realize. These bands are clearly bearing the torch that Nu Metal once carried. It's palatable, poppy, commercial sounding crooning, but with some "real" metal elements spliced in in order to help distance itself from a genre widely regarded as bad.

I think your vehement anti nu metal stance seems a bit...hypocritical.

So you came in here crapping on something that shares the spirit/trademarks of a style you're really into. I'm curious about your rationale. You're main response is "define metal define metal define metal".

You're trying to imply that people who know a great deal more than you are ignorant because they're refusing to copy and paste a wiki definition.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I didn't ask you to copy and paste anything. I said that if you think yourself qualified to judge what is metal, tell me what metal is and what makes you exclude certain bands. The bands I've listed are commonly referred to as metal; it's you who are contradicting the conventional wisdom. But you do not provide any substantial rationale to support your claimes. Just your own opinions stated over and over, insults, ad hominems.

You think the bands I like suck? Fair enough. You think I don't know anything about music? Fine. But you don't win an argument over what constitutes metal by simply repeating that certain things aren't metal.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No, they are not. Thin Lizzy is not commonly referred to as metal. Your argument lost all credibility when you made these wild statements.

Right?! :keke:

Wikipedia, Spotify, Apple Music, All Music, Metal Underground all list them as both metal and hard rock. Scott Travis also said that Phil was actively steering the band more towards metal on the last two albums especially before he died.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wikipedia, Spotify, Apple Music, All Music, Metal Underground all list them as both metal and hard rock. Scott Travis also said that Phil was actively steering the band more towards metal on the last two albums especially before he died.

I bit, I checked Wikipedia and the footnote that lists them as heavy metal (after hard rock, blues rock) is some nobody who wrote a book on heavy metal in 2003 (is that when they became considered heavy metal?) who doesn’t even state they are heavy metal. His first critique of them is “hard rock band. Without reading it I can only assume they are included because they influenced other metal bands or displayed traits of a heavier sound. So here you are, you read Wikipedia and believe it as fact, despite anyone being able to update it. Those shitty, commercial streaming sites also read the Wiki, like they are any authority on metal and list Thin Lizzy as heavy metal and the misinformation continues. I’m drawing comparisons to how noobs believe eBay pricing to be the new benchmark.

You believe everything you read as hard fact and then put on your ignorant display for all to laugh at.

And just because some wanted to change the direction of his music doesn’t mean his current output is what he wants it to be. That point is invalid.

Dude, just stop...

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I went ahead to check those sources, and Wikipedia’s first sentence is that Thin Lizzy is a hard rock band from Dublin. You have to go over to the side where the last genre listed for them is heavy metal, and even then it’s only up there because it’s sourced from a lone book from 2003. If that’s what you’re using for your argument, then I’m not even going to bother checking the other sources. You’re grasping at straws to argue your idiotic point that, deep down, you even know is bullshit. Take your terrible taste in music out of this discussion, you’re so off base with your comments that you’re acting like a parody of yourself.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And still nobody will define metal

How does this definition sound:

Any hard rock band that is heavier than Blue Oyster CUlt, Rainbow, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy or Deep Purple.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
In other news, FamiCommander is a big fan of crustpunk band Good Charlotte.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You've clearly never listened to goth rock or emo if you think either genre has anything to do with each other or slipknot.

Just wanted to check back in to point out that I'm well aware that goth and emo music are nothing like Slipknot. Just saying that Slipknot always came across in a way that resembled a boy band to me and they seemed to appeal to the "anti-authority" kids who choose to show their individuality by all dressing the same, having the same bad haircuts and wearing too much makeup. Back when I was a teenager, those kids were mostly goth kids who were into Morrissey and The Cure. Then it became Manson/Nine Inch Nails. Then Slipknot. Then emo/screamo. Now I'm too old to give a shit.

Marek

Banned
Which festival?

CoF's Principles.. Dusk... and Vempire are still great releases. I lost interest after that.

Fitmfest.com

New age american black metal bands

Wayfarer, dreadnought, panopticon

Siiiiiick show dude

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Just wanted to check back in to point out that I'm well aware that goth and emo music are nothing like Slipknot. Just saying that Slipknot always came across in a way that resembled a boy band to me and they seemed to appeal to the "anti-authority" kids who choose to show their individuality by all dressing the same, having the same bad haircuts and wearing too much makeup. Back when I was a teenager, those kids were mostly goth kids who were into Morrissey and The Cure. Then it became Manson/Nine Inch Nails. Then Slipknot. Then emo/screamo. Now I'm too old to give a shit.

I get you. Yeah, slipknot totally embodied the nu-metal "don't ever judge me" angst to a T (I agree with the boyband comparison). As the years have gone by and nu-metal bands have become less relevant, it's spirit never really went away as far as being THE manufactured antiauthority style. That style often gets the goth/emo tag despite the style and the bands associated with it actually being neither. I essentially made my post pretending that I'm unaware of the (unfortunate) modern context you were using.

MH//Burn My Eyes
Nu Metal was grunge/alternative music crossed with urban culture. a bastard child of groove metal hardcore hip hop and alternative rock/metal.
Korn and Deftones founded the thing and it was raw. but then Korn went on to destroy that which they engendered by creating Family Values, a terrible idea.

I don't think I can agree that nu-metal was simply grunge crossed with X...but I'll get to that in a moment...

Machine Head's Burn My Eyes is an interesting one to bring up. MH certainly BECAME a nu-metal band several years into their career (The Burning Red), but I see an album like Burn My Eyes as more of a "Metal for the 90's" release as opposed to Nu Metal (which ultimately functioned as "metal for the 90's" but with very distinct trademarks). I think albums like burn my eyes helped lay the foundation for that modern groove (you could argue Sepultura, and Pantera had a lot to do with this too) which nu-metal no doubt took major cues from...but by the time albums that weren't s/t korn and adrenaline were being released...nu-metal was coming into it's own thing for sure...and an album like burn my eyes didn't quite resemble what nu-metal had become.

I think Burn My Eyes and S/T Korn could have been mentioned in the same breathe in 1995...but by let's say 1997, Machine Head came across as almost traditional sounding in comparison to the Nu-metal being released and to the other stuff in the pipeline (hence the burning red was written).

So back to the grunge thing...I know you often mention Cold when nu-metal discussions pop up. I remember hearing them when their self titled album was released and I didn't like it. However, last night I gave them a listen for the first time in like 20 years. I will say...it's really the only example of a band doing actual rock/grunge music that hit's the original (Korn, Ross Robinson) nu-metal tone/atmosphere/angst nail on the head. While as a whole I can't say the album is my cup of tea, I can defintely appreciate/see the appeal of many bits and pieces of whats going on.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Those first couple of Machine Head albums were really good. Then Robb Flynn started chasing trends and it went in to the shitter.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I was waiting for this.

I miss Grave a little.

Will someone alert him to this thread?

The argument is literally “Sam Goody has Thin Lizzy stocked in the metal section, so it’s metal.” Nevermind that it was only there because another person picked it up from the rock section, decided they didn’t want it, and just put it back wherever they were standing at that moment, which just happened to be the metal section. Hell, it wasn’t even in the ‘T’ section, but there that stupidass is, genuinely believing it has to be heavy metal.

Holy shit, you should be ashamed.

Marek

Banned
Fammi, you're taking your licks like a fuckin champ man.

Im proud of you bud, and will always like you even though you listen to knock off evanescence and think its metal.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
:lolz: What the fuck even is this? I'm literally laughing out loud at this band. I bet fans of current and recent anime really like this type of music.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
fakeXmetal

:keke:

:lolz:

Edit: Do you guys know about Ghost? I saw Nate Newton wearing their shirt so I checked them out. They're fucking cheesy.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

Edit: Do you guys know about Ghost? I saw Nate Newton wearing their shirt so I checked them out. They're fucking cheesy.

They're pretty generic. My buddy is into them. Another new band that's hot right now is Gretta Von-something, and they're terrible Led Zeppelin ripoffs. Right up Fami's alley :keke:

Marek

Banned

I like Ghost. Pinnacle to the Pit is classic, but their best song is Year Zero. They opened for iron maiden last summer, great show all around.

@wes - i understand your meh opinion of them. I think theyre fun especially live

On topic. Fammi this band is from your town! Go see them

Also im interested to see what the rest of yall think about it. Especially wes. We've argued bitterly about music in the past.

Marek

Banned
They're pretty generic. My buddy is into them. Another new band that's hot right now is Gretta Von-something, and they're terrible Led Zeppelin ripoffs. Right up Fami's alley :keke:

Thats vomit inducing. I made it 1 minute.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I don't hate it, but it's a bit too dramatic in terms of style and the production sounds too polished. I really don't like that super in your face double bass. Prosthetic lost their cash cow, Animals as Leaders, after two albums and don't have anyone notable left, as far as my taste goes.