• Korn

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Thin Lizzy is best described as "Hard Rock".

That being said, they had a huge influence on the NWOBHM scene. Perhaps as much influence as Sabbath or Motorhead.
They also have some songs which may be described as "Metal".

While I won't call them "Metal", I won't chastise Fammicomrade for doing so. They aren't any less metal than some of the other bands he listed (Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, BOC, Rainbow).

I guess another question is whether or not Micheal Bolton should be classified as Heavy Metal.
I'm sticking with Hard Rock. In fact, i think Micheal Bolton is the most underrated hard rock singer of all time.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Now a band fronted by Ronnie James fucking Dio isn't metal? The fuck you talkin' bout Norton? Rising is one of the most acclaimed metal albums of all time. Blackmore wanting to move away from the album's heavy sound is why Dio left Rainbow for Black Sabbath in the first place.

If this isn't metal, nothing is metal.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Now a band fronted by Ronnie James fucking Dio isn't metal? The fuck you talkin' bout Norton? .

In my book, none of the following Ronnie James Dio Bands are Metal:
Ronnie and the Prophets
Ronnie and the Redcaps,
Ronnie James Dio (Solo on Kapp and Lawn Records)
The Electric Elves
The Elves
Elf.
Rainbow.

Of those bands, Rainbow is the only one that I will call Hard Rock. Elf's studio work would really be stretching the definition of Hard rock. Maybe you could call some of the Elves live music to be Hard Rock (they even covered Sabbath).

famicommander

15 Year Member
Rainbow's Rising is metal. It singlehandedly started multiple subgenres of metal. It's widely regarded as one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
btw
obviously nu metal has nothing to do with real metal. it's almost an ironic play on words. doesn't make it any less good/bad. metal as a musical tradition has always been more primitive.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Rainbow's Rising is metal. It singlehandedly started multiple subgenres of metal. It's widely regarded as one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

It is a very good album. It is probably the best Rainbow Album (though the first album is my favorite due to it having 4 local musicians instead of 1). It is a very popular album with metalheads. But I don't call it metal. But I won't chastise you for calling it metal either. That being said, the title tack from "Kill The King" is probably the most metal track by Rainbow.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It is a very good album. It is probably the best Rainbow Album (though the first album is my favorite due to it having 4 local musicians instead of 1). It is a very popular album with metalheads. But I don't call it metal. But I won't chastise you for calling it metal either. That being said, the title tack from "Kill The King" is probably the most metal track by Rainbow.

"A Light in the Black," served as something of an unofficial sequel to the "Stargazer" story, and barreled through at breathless, break-neck speed metal assault to Rising's cathartic conclusion, merely 33 minutes after it had all begun. Together these final tracks (and, to a lesser degree, the first two), helped Rainbow establish the so-called "castle metal" style, which Dio, if not Blackmore, would carry on exploring for much of his remaining career -- to say nothing of the countless bands inspired to do the same after first hearing Rising.

The record was an instant critical and commercial success upon release, and even half a decade later was being voted the number one heavy metal album of all time by the readers of British magazine Kerrang!, remaining in the genre's fundamental canon unto the present day. And how could it not? After all, in its grooves, Blackmore and Rainbow managed the seemingly impossible feat of infusing heavy metal’s monochromatic shades of black with every color of the Rainbow.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rainbow-rising/

#48 on Rolling Stone's top 100 Metal Albums of all time:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...me-113614/slayer-south-of-heaven-1988-196010/

Overall, the album is only six songs long, barely a half hour's listen. However, these six songs pack more punch than Deep Purple or anyone else could even imagine putting into music. From the explosive riffs of "Tarot Woman", to the cymbal crash on "A Light in the Black", this album is surely a kick to the gut. The lyrical themes we see much for the first time, are Dio's typical tales of wizards and magic, dragons and evil women. As for Ritchie Blackmore, however, his playing is almost completely different from that of his Deep Purple era. Instead of hard rocking riff after riff, Ritchie uses a lot more of his classical training to put in (depending on the song) a much lighter or darker mood than we've seen before. Throughout the entirety of this album, we can see the powerhouse skills of Cozy Powell, as he thunders through both "Stargazer", and "A Light in the Black".

Of the six songs featured here, none are greater or more epic than the ever-immortal "Stargazer". Originally written by Ritchie Blackmore for the cello, he turned what was his joke of an idea into one of the most recognizable guitar riffs in all of heavy metal. With Dio's ever powerful voice shining away, telling the story of this poor slave, and Cozy, ferociously beating on the drums, "Stargazer" quickly became a long time concert favourite, where it usually reached lengths of 17 minutes.
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=7259

The haziness of music history shows that Rainbow were one of the first acts to actually identify themselves as Heavy Metal. While it may have been Jimi Hendrix’ guitar playing that had been described as ‘heavy metal falling for the sky’, and the trio of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath started out as super-amplified blues, super-amplified jam-rock and super-amplified slow-riffing madness respectively, it took a few years of rising levels of hearing damage among the youth population before acts aspired to be this thing that what rather nebulously being called Heavy Metal.
http://www.backseatmafia.com/not-forgotten-rainbow-rising/

So what did the Ritchie and Ronnie collaboration come up with? Six tracks of essential 70s metal, and one of the most iconic albums in all of metal and rock, that’s what. The mists of time may have faded the impact of this album somewhat. It’s not going to blow the socks off a teenage Bring Me The Horizon fan. However, anyone with an interest in the history of metal, a love for guitar wizardry, or an ear for soaring rock vocals will love ‘Rising’.

‘Rising’ may seem a bit short, at only six tracks, and just over the half hour mark, but there is a lot packed into that space. Carey’s keyboards swirl in from the silence as an intro to “Tarot Woman”. Blackmore offers a sharp, almost industrial reply, and then Powell and Bain thunder in, and the song takes off. Dio tells his tale of fairground witchcraft. There really isn’t much more to say. The recipe is made to sound simple, but there are hidden depths, proving the execution has been anything but simple. It is vintage metal, made for metal fans, while avoiding the worst excesses of 70s progressive rock.

The introduction to “Starstruck” has had air guitarists fiddling away at nothing, and real guitarists throwing their hands up in frustration, ever since 1976. The song has a groove which was once the exclusive preserve of Deep Purple, but had been commandeered by Rainbow, and put to great use.

“Run With The Wolf” and “Do You Close Your Eyes” both have memorable metallic riffs and almost pop-metal hooks, punctuated with guitar magic and sing-along choruses.

Powell’s intro to “Stargazer” would have had drummers the world over scratching their heads as to how he did it. The song has an epic main riff, like Led Zeppelin’s Kashmir, only more mystical. Dio’s fantastical lyrics and clarion call vocals soar over the mythic miasma. Blackmore also lets rip, releasing all shackles, a six string maestro at the height of his powers. His solos are technically impressive, and seethe with vitality. The song takes on further dimensions still, with the backing of the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra.

And then to finally nail this album to the wall, closing track "A Light in the Black" basically wrote the blueprint for power metal. Up-tempo, and hard driving, the song is also a melodic masterpiece. Keyboardist Carey and Blackmore trade licks through the song. Cozy’s kickdrums underpin the whole thing.
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/rising/340219

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hey, I'm not giving you shit for calling it (or thin lizzy) metal. It is good stuff. It is an amazing album.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
btw
obviously nu metal has nothing to do with real metal. it's almost an ironic play on words. doesn't make it any less good/bad. metal as a musical tradition has always been more primitive.

Some should be called "Real Metal", Some shouldn't.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
All you satanic skinheads need to calm down and listen to some Pearl Jam. I really don't know why anyone listens to anything that isn't Pearl Jam.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
In this thread...

Bands who influenced metal bands are assumed to be metal bands.

Fami, if you actually listened to metal you wouldn’t be making these wild, incorrect judgements. The fact you scour the internet to try and piece together some weak argument is laughable.

You think you listen to metal. You don’t.

Marek

Banned
Im still trying to process how bad In This Moment is.

Its like cradle of filth lite.

Anyway i went to a black metal festival this past weekend.

So sick.

famicommander

15 Year Member
In this thread...

Bands who influenced metal bands are assumed to be metal bands.

Fami, if you actually listened to metal you wouldn’t be making these wild, incorrect judgements. The fact you scour the internet to try and piece together some weak argument is laughable.

You think you listen to metal. You don’t.

Yet you still can't or won't actually define what metal is, whilst simultaneously asserting your ability to correctly judge it over the bands themselves, Rolling Stone, or dedicated heavy metal journalism outlets.

It basically sounds like you're saying all the "metal" you like is real metal, while all the "metal" you don't like is fake.

Metal is an extremely broad genre.

All you guys keep doing is saying "this isn't metal" but you refuse to actually state why.

Dissect Rainbow's Rising or those Thin Lizzy videos I posted and tell me precisely why they aren't metal.

Ronnie James Dio considered Rainbow metal, Norton doesn't. You're team Norton.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So what's you point.

Who gives a shit what someone calls it.

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member

Dude. Rolling Stone doesn't really know what metal is either. Ministry, Soundgarden, Marilyn Manson, Faith No More, Melvins, Helmet, Kyuss, Alice In Chains, Rage Against the Machine..... None of those bands are metal bands. One could say there are metal influences or something, but they just aren't metal. I'm not even going to get into the hair metal or nu-metal bands on the list, because even though I don't consider those metal, many others do.

Just because band A was influenced by band B and C doesn't necessarily mean that band A is in the same genre as either bands B or C.

Examples: Both Dr. Dre and Lil Wayne site Nirvana as being one their biggest influences. Do either of them make music that is in the same genre as Nirvana? No. Axl Rose claims Elton John as his biggest influence, do they make the same type of music? Chino from Deftones is heavily influenced by The Cure and Depeche Mode, his band doesn't really fit either of those genres.

At the end of the day music is all opinions anyways so it doesn't really matter. Like was posted earlier, listen to what you like and form your own opinions. Shit, at least the people here actually both listen to and give a fuck about music. I find it sad whenever I ask someone what kind of music they like and they respond with something like " I don't really listen to music that much" or "whatever is on" or "whatever is popular".

Marek

Banned

So sick.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
But Ronnie is better qualified than anyone to tell you what is or isn't metal.

It is what it is.

I misread your post anyways.

Dio was a great guy. Personalized and autographed two 8x10's for my brother and I and sent them to his cousin at his own expense.

Marek

Banned
Rolling Stone is also the most irrelevant music journalism source.

They peaked decades ago and have been freefalling into garbage for most of my adolescence and my entire adult life.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yet you still can't or won't actually define what metal is, whilst simultaneously asserting your ability to correctly judge it over the bands themselves, Rolling Stone, or dedicated heavy metal journalism outlets.

It basically sounds like you're saying all the "metal" you like is real metal, while all the "metal" you don't like is fake.

Metal is an extremely broad genre.

All you guys keep doing is saying "this isn't metal" but you refuse to actually state why.

Dissect Rainbow's Rising or those Thin Lizzy videos I posted and tell me precisely why they aren't metal.

Ronnie James Dio considered Rainbow metal, Norton doesn't. You're team Norton.

Just because you (or DIO) calls an apple an orange, doesn't make it a pear. WTF Rolling Stone... never read it. Sounds like some sort of sell-out cash-cow to me.

I don't need to go to Quora, Wikipedia or Google to get answers (read: confuse me).

IMO, Sabbath were the first Heavy Metal band. Sure, there are plenty of other bands that influenced their style and had elements of metal, but that doesn't make them Heavy Metal. This is where you get confused. I'm not getting into semantics of musical structure to define what it is that makes it Heavy Metal. It is the sound. And because you cite NWOBHM you at least have some sort of understanding. I'm surprised you didn't list Priest though as they're one of the core bands who started really delving into Metal way back when.

I don't need to research any of this. I don't need to explain why there'd be no Mournful Congregation if there was no Sabbath.

Each to their own and if symphonic metal is your thing, enjoy. But you're up there floating on the surface. You really need to come down here and find some buried treasure.

So sick.

Which festival?

CoF's Principles.. Dusk... and Vempire are still great releases. I lost interest after that.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Fammicommander,

The more you post in this thread, the more you expose your ignorance.

I am truly astonished.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dude. Rolling Stone doesn't really know what metal is either. Ministry, Soundgarden, Marilyn Manson, Faith No More, Melvins, Helmet, Kyuss, Alice In Chains, Rage Against the Machine..... None of those bands are metal bands. One could say there are metal influences or something, but they just aren't metal .

Right. Famicommander is the real life embodiment of something I didn't actually think existed! Like you know rolling stone's goal is to "acknowledge metal" while they simultaneously undermine it's importance by writing about the same old rock bands they always write about!

Well I just assumed everyone who read those lists that cared enough to was like "uhh what a joke, look at all of these non-metal bands". I guess it's different if you are a kid in the 90's, but fammicomander isn't a kid and we are not in the 90's...and he believes these lists!!!

I find it sad whenever I ask someone what kind of music they like and they respond with something like " I don't really listen to music that much" or "whatever is on" or "whatever is popular".

Usually the phrase that people who aren't really into music use is "I listen to everything" which translates to "I don't care about anything". The responses you posted sound a bit more upfront.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
And still nobody will define metal or explain what makes a band metal.

That's really all I need to say. Y'all can think what you want but what you're doing is professing to have the knowledge to judge what belongs to a category you can't define. I didn't come in here saying nu metal isn't metal, I just said I didn't like it. You all just seem to want to narrow the definition of metal to include only bands that conform to your own personal taste. Metal is broad and varied.

And Faust, the bands I've listed here are not the only metal bands I listen to. I love Judas Priest and didn't exclude them from my list on purpose. I like almost any genre of metal with clean vocals, besides madman's hair bands and the bands I've shit on already today.