• Limp Bizkit

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Korn

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I listening to some Korn based on this poll. It's not as bad as I remember.....

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not a great thread.
Korn obviously
For their first 2 albums which where ridiculously good.
Deftones was nu metal for 2 minutes and those where a glorious couple of minutes
Best nu metal includes Cold for their excellent first album, Slipknot (they have always been on the fringe of what can be termed nu metal), Mudvayne for their first few incredible albums.
There may be more
As it stands other than Korn the rest of those bands mentioned are pretty horrible

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Holy shit there is a lot of bad music going on in this thread! I'm not sure the point of this thread is, especially with a poll of only four choices...

Fami, you seem like an alright dude, but I really can't get into any of that shit. It all sounds the same to me and just too cheesy. It's like listening to Cradle of Filth (also not a fan) or some shit, but with a female singer.... definitely not my cup of tea.

As for Slipknot. I'm also not a fan, but even for the people who do like them: Explain to me how it takes NINE fucking people to make that sound? If it takes more than four or five dudes to play that trash, you're doing it wrong. There simply isn't enough going on to justify that many people making that noise.

All in all, nu-metal just sucks. I'm ashamed to admit I used to LOVE Korn, well their first two albums at least. Now whenever I hear their music, it just sounds bad and immature.

I did and still do like Deftones though, so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

Yeah, pretty much this.

I've always liked Slipknot for their over the top antics and theatrics. Musically they have always been fun. I actually listened the hell out of the Paul Gray Chapter.

Though I was also listening to 4 Type O Negative albums back to back too. The preference ratio is about 4 to 1

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So fammicommander to make my final point..

You're here tearing down pseudo metal flavor A, but you're totally into pseudo metal flavor B!

Which is fine...but naturally I'm going to be curious about your rationale/perspective.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So fammicommander to make my final point..

You're here tearing down pseudo metal flavor A, but you're totally into pseudo metal flavor B!

Which is fine...but naturally I'm going to be curious about your rationale/perspective.

1. What, precisely, defines "pseudo metal"? Where do you draw the line between a subgenre of metal and "pseudo metal"? Does being less "metal" than another genre of hard rock inherently make a band or a song bad?

2. Explain to me how Nightwish or Delain is anything like Slipknot or Papa Roach, musically.

This features guitar solos, orchestral instruments, a classically trained vocalist on top of a growling back up vocalist, a heavy breakdown. Not a lot in common with nu metal.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
1. What, precisely, defines "pseudo metal"? Where do you draw the line between a subgenre of metal and "pseudo metal"? Does being less "metal" than another genre of hard rock inherently make a band or a song bad?

2. Explain to me how Nightwish or Delain is anything like Slipknot or Papa Roach, musically.

This features guitar solos, orchestral instruments, a classically trained vocalist on top of a growling back up vocalist, a heavy breakdown. Not a lot in common with nu metal.

Nu-metal has a ton of breakdowns, what are you talking about?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

a classically trained vocalist on top of a growling back up vocalist, a heavy breakdown.

Delain and Nightwish are decent. A little to soft for me if I'm listening to that particular metal, whatever it's called. I would recommend listening to some Symphony X if you want something a little harder. https://youtu.be/9s08x-kIxFs

Back on Slipknot

Have you ever really heard Corey Taylor's Vocals? The dude doesn't just scream into a Mic bro, He has skills. He could easily blow away most vocalists out there. And what the hell is wrong with Papa Roach? Are most of you guys against anything mainstream? I think there music is fun to listen to.

https://youtu.be/kfFYoZOe3lI

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Uhhh?

Most nu-metal has drums, bass, vocals, and no guitar on verse, and like one riff during the chorus.

Nu metal music is largely syncopated and based on guitar riffs – often putting much emphasis on rhythm; showing its groove metal roots. Nu metal riffs sometimes tend to be similar to death metal riffs and sometimes uses staccato, similar to the riffs of the death metal genre. Nu metal bassists and drummers are often influenced by funk and hip hop break beats, respectively, helping add to the rhythmic nature of the genre.
http://numetal.net/about/

famicommander

15 Year Member
Delain and Nightwish are decent. A little to soft for me if I'm listening to that particular metal, whatever it's called. I would recommend listening to some Symphony X if you want something a little harder. https://youtu.be/9s08x-kIxFs

Back on Slipknot

Have you ever really heard Corey Taylor's Vocals? The dude doesn't just scream into a Mic bro, He has skills. He could easily blow away most vocalists out there. And what the hell is wrong with Papa Roach? Are most of you guys against anything mainstream? I think there music is fun to listen to.

https://youtu.be/kfFYoZOe3lI
I dig what I've heard of Symphony X so far, thanks for the recommendation.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I understand that you want to use hard "facts" to support your posts...but your wikipedia copy/pastes are
just further exposing your already shaky knowledge base as shakier.

Nu-metal riffing doesn't sound like death metal riffing. Sorry.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I understand that you want to use hard "facts" to support your posts...but your wikipedia copy/pastes are
just further exposing your already shaky knowledge base as shakier.

Nu-metal riffing doesn't sound like death metal riffing. Sorry.

All of your arguments boil down to "declarative statement, sorry"

And for the record, I don't claim to be the ultimate judge of heavy metal. All I said was that the bands in the OP sucked. You, on the other hand, didn't even seem to be aware of the existence of the symphonic metal genre that you're equating to nu metal.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
All of your arguments boil down to "declarative statement, sorry"

And for the record, I don't claim to be the ultimate judge of heavy metal. All I said was that the bands in the OP sucked. You, on the other hand, didn't even seem to be aware of the existence of the symphonic metal genre that you're equating to nu metal.

It's very clear that you don't claim to be "the ultimate judge". I don't think you'd be bold enough to claim that your
scope is large at all.

As far as my awareness...well...I'm aware that many of the "symphonic metal" bands you're fond of have more in common with Nu metal than you realize. These bands are clearly bearing the torch that Nu Metal once carried. It's palatable, poppy, commercial sounding crooning, but with some "real" metal elements spliced in in order to help distance itself from a genre widely regarded as bad.

I think your vehement anti nu metal stance seems a bit...hypocritical.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's very clear that you don't claim to be "the ultimate judge". I don't think you'd be bold enough to claim that your
scope is large at all.

As far as my awareness...well...I'm aware that many of the "symphonic metal" bands you're fond of have more in common with Nu metal than you realize. These bands are clearly bearing the torch that Nu Metal once carried. It's palatable, poppy, commercial sounding crooning, but with some "real" metal elements spliced in in order to help distance itself from a genre widely regarded as bad.

I think your vehement anti nu metal stance seems a bit...hypocritical.
You again just make broad claims with rhetoric and no substance. Musically, the two genres are very dissimilar as far as comparing metal subgenres. Sorry.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Jesus Fami, you desperately need to get laid. Or smoke weed. Something to take the edge off.

Anyway, the first two Korn albums were raw as shit. Then they made money, weren't as hungry, became drug addicts and the music became repetitive and less interesting. I'd likely vote for them.

I don't have an irrational hate boner for the rest of it like most folks seem to but it was largely derivative and try-hard. I saw Limp Bizkit back in like '96 when they opened for Faith No More on their farewell tour. The George Michael Faith cover was amusing. The rest of it... less so.

I still listen to Deftones but they were only nu-metal for about 15 minutes in the mid-90s. They went off and did their own thing.

Slipknot are like a boy band for goth/emo kids.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Everything in this post checks out up until here:

Slipknot are like a boy band for goth/emo kids.

You've clearly never listened to goth rock or emo if you think either genre has anything to do with each other or slipknot.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I listening to some Korn based on this poll. It's not as bad as I remember.....

Yeah, I’ve always enjoyed Korn. I think as others have said in this thread when something becomes mainstream it is easy to overlook or dismiss it.

Something I heard before when watching a YT video of Mayer Hawthorne finding the Trouble Man soundtrack by Marvin Gaye, “There’s a reason why common records are so common. It’s because they’re the shit.”

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
What about Evanesence? According to the Rock Band music store, they are Nu Metal but I think they're more Goth.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Post grunge which was contemporary to nu metal and even promoted by some in the scene (Durst) was far worst. So much shit music back then lol. And then also some great mainstream stuff too.