• Korn

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Nu Metal isn't a real sub genre or anything. It's just a marketing tool to describe a bunch of metal bands that emerged at the same time (like New Wave or alternative).

But anyways, System of A Down are the best of the big name Nu Metal acts.
Hell the are probably one of the best rock bands of their era.

Slipkont had one really good song.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Nu Metal isn't a real sub genre or anything. It's just a marketing tool to describe a bunch of metal bands that emerged at the same time (like New Wave or alternative).

But anyways, System of A Down are the best of the big name Nu Metal acts.

Slipkont had one really good song.

nothing worth humping in that genre?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
nothing worth humping in that genre?

Depends on the release and format. Being that it was late, late 90's... vinyl pressings were starting to be larger and therefore less rare. Several of the mainstream LP's can be had for under $50. But some stuff goes well. I recently got $12 for a Disturbed cassette.

https://www.discogs.com/Korn-Korn/release/414666
https://www.discogs.com/System-Of-A-Down-Toxicity/release/655527
https://www.discogs.com/Slipknot-Mate-Feed-Kill-Repeat/release/494475
https://www.discogs.com/Slipknot-Slipknot/release/545480

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Powerman 5000's "Tonight the Stars Revolt" is an amazing album.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Labelling music is like putting people into camps because they are Jewish. Right, Shroom?

Also, great neo-necro post. These bands are now dissolved, torn apart or not very relevant anymore. Makes me wanna
Pack a chainsaaaaaaw
To skin your ass raaaaawwww

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Slipknot is to heavy metal what Insane Clown Posse is to rap.

Basically, they should all be dropped into a volcano.
This

I listen to nu metal it's tolerable because that is the closest thing to death metal my wife will listen to. Compromise otherwise I would have to listen to country...
Death metal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nu metal

What bands does she enjoy?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You guys should worry less about being nerds and classifying music into your neat predetermined genres and just listen to what you like. You'll have more fun that way.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
You guys should worry less about being nerds and classifying music into your neat predetermined genres and just listen to what you like. You'll have more fun that way.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Battle Beast, Delain, etc have nothing in common with Nu Metal.

So...

Not to mention the genres both started at roughly the same time (1993-1996).

Is that what you listen to?

Marek

Banned
It's very clear that you don't claim to be "the ultimate judge". I don't think you'd be bold enough to claim that your
scope is large at all.

As far as my awareness...well...I'm aware that many of the "symphonic metal" bands you're fond of have more in common with Nu metal than you realize. These bands are clearly bearing the torch that Nu Metal once carried. It's palatable, poppy, commercial sounding crooning, but with some "real" metal elements spliced in in order to help distance itself from a genre widely regarded as bad.

I think your vehement anti nu metal stance seems a bit...hypocritical.

This.

"In this moment" is straight up the soundtrack of my fucking nightmare. That a man can rip on korn and endorse that soft dick sad sack bullshit is beyond my comprehension.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's very clear that you don't claim to be "the ultimate judge". I don't think you'd be bold enough to claim that your
scope is large at all.

As far as my awareness...well...I'm aware that many of the "symphonic metal" bands you're fond of have more in common with Nu metal than you realize. These bands are clearly bearing the torch that Nu Metal once carried. It's palatable, poppy, commercial sounding crooning, but with some "real" metal elements spliced in in order to help distance itself from a genre widely regarded as bad.

I think your vehement anti nu metal stance seems a bit...hypocritical.

This.

No one listens to “symphonic” metal but recalls the good old days when Quorthon changed it up and started releasing something different in the name of Odin, or when Impaled really overstepped the mark with their Choice Cuts release, or when melodic death meant Gothenburg, Sweden, not some derivative style with “Core” tacked onto the end.

No offence Fami, but you’re either a kid or a poseur. That shit isn’t metal. It’s sugar-coated and not at all self aware. It’s a joke.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Is that what you listen to?

Not exclusively, but yeah, I like those bands. I also like classic metal like Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Ozzy, Rainbow, Dio, Thin Lizzy, BOC, Deep Purple, Saxon, etc.

And modern metal from different genres like Sabaton, Kamelot, Rhapsody of Fire, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, etc.

And other genres that have no relation to metal.

Marek

Banned
Thin Lizzy?

Are you about to tell me the fucking Allman Brothers Band are metal now?

I need to prepare my brain for that level of stupid

famicommander

15 Year Member
Thin Lizzy?

Are you about to tell me the fucking Allman Brothers Band are metal now?

I need to prepare my brain for that level of stupid
http://metalmofos.com/thin-lizzy-jailbreak-albums-that-built-the-foundation-of-heavy-metal/

I'm beginning to think most peoppe here don't even know how to define metal, or what genres it came from. Early metal was a fusion of blues rock and psychedelic rock, then classical influences slowly started creeping in.

Thin Lizzy is absolutely metal. Not all metal has to sound like Mastodon or Metallica.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
http://metalmofos.com/thin-lizzy-jailbreak-albums-that-built-the-foundation-of-heavy-metal/

I'm beginning to think most peoppe here don't even know how to define metal, or what genres it came from. Early metal was a fusion of blues rock and psychedelic rock, then classical influences slowly started creeping in.

Thin Lizzy is absolutely metal. Not all metal has to sound like Mastodon or Metallica.

"Not only has their music been instrumental and influential to Heavy Metal/Hard Rock music, but also to Punk, and R&B/Soul. "

You wanna tell me they're a Punk or Soul band too? They aren't a metal band, just an influence on other metal bands.

Marek

Banned
On topic

The Allman Brothers Band and Widespread Panic are 1000000000x more metal than thin lizzy

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
On topic

The Allman Brothers Band and Widespread Panic are 1000000000x more metal than thin lizzy

I'd take At Fillmore East over any Thin Lizzy record, hands down.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dude

Just say the allman brothers are metal. Please. You know you believe it

I'm sure he can find some wiki _____-metal tag for them. burnout-metal?

I'm beginning to think most peoppe here don't even know how to define metal, or what genres it came from.

I'm certain that this has little to do with why some members in this thread don't share your perspective on what constitutes as metal.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Back on topic though....

Here are my two cents on nu metal. The not so important anecdotal preface just for a little...context : I first knew of korn at a VERY young age in 1996.

Anyways...I would have to imagine, Korn's self titled album in 1994 turned a lot of heads. Whether they were actual metal heads, or people who were into 90's "alternative" bands who happened to be ok with heavier stuff.

Nothing really sounded like it...

As far as guitar tone, as far as being heavy without really playing metal. To be fair, yes, there were several "proto nu-metal" bands/releases on major labels who perhaps laid down the foundation for Korn getting signed to sony. Prong? Helmet?

People often mention faith no more and rage against the machine (two bands I don't really care much about), but I don't really see too many parallels beyond these bands having "new" and "different" sounds.

So I'm sure, a lot of people who saw Korn between 94-97 opening up for Ozzy, Danzig, Megadeath, Fear Factory, Sick of it all, uhhh, lots of other surprising bands, were probably like "wtf is this shit". But I'm sure there had to be just as many who were impressed. They were selling records before they were radio darlings. So yeah, korn was never a talented band, but they definitely had a dark and heavy sound that I'm sure did not fit into a perfect box at the time, that wasn't tailor made for the "nu-metal fanbase" because such a fanbase didn't exist!

Korn's sound by follow the leader stopped being dark, stopped being heavy, and well the Nu-metal box had been solidified. 99% of the 100's of Nu metal bands who were to form and get record deals were taking cues from Korn's most palatable elements.

My point is...being a style that likely always functioned as a "we're gonna make it big" sound, that never had an underground/diy incarnation/movement, never came from an organic scene other than what...a few clubs in LA, never ending up going in a non-commercial sounding direction. Like I wonder...what if Nu-Metal went in the OTHER direction? Now, people are going to say "well what about slipknot"..but I don't see them as a deviation at all. You had ross robinson applying his korn magic on a band with a pure money gimmick. Ok, some of the drumming can be wild...but I never saw slipknot as much heavier or much of an outlier.

FURTHERMORE, you have plenty of bands today who both consciously and subconsciously incorporate nu-metal elements into whatever style they're doing. The latter do it though because that's what they cut their teeth on and aren't even aware of the concept of nu metal. But it just sounds like nu-metally metalcore or nu-metally deathcore.

Like...there has never been an "extreme" nu-metal band! IMO anyone who understand what it would take to create one would have enough intelligence to go "but nu metal sucks" and not do it.

TLDR : wack music who cares

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Two extremely simple points here for the people who keep declaring bands to be "not metal" or "pseudo metal"

If you can make a declaration like that, surely you can define metal.

So
1. Define, precisely, what constitutes metal from a musical perspective and what sets it apart from other genres of rock.

and

2. Listen to these two songs and explain to me, with details, why they aren't metal

I highly doubt I'll have any takers.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
MH//Burn My Eyes
Nu Metal was grunge/alternative music crossed with urban culture. a bastard child of groove metal hardcore hip hop and alternative rock/metal.
Korn and Deftones founded the thing and it was raw. but then Korn went on to destroy that which they engendered by creating Family Values, a terrible idea.

Exciting mainstream rock of the time which was not nu metal:
Filter
MM
Rob Zombie
Weezer
NiN
etc.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The only true metal song is "Wooden Ships" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.