Samurai Shodown 25th anniversay today! (07/07/1993)

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Even though I know there is now way the game can meet our collective expectations after all these years... that would still be amazing. Kind of surprised SNK has not farmed the work out to a smaller developer to handle the translation, and put it out on current hardware. I could see it doing well with the Switch userbase.

well if especially the Japanese fanbase request Samurai Shodown RPG, SNK could at least bring it to PS4 (it's over 80,000,000 consumers strong).

yea technically they could port it to Switch first, then port it to PS4, though PS4 would be more profitable cause PSN is so region free comfortable and people could just playasia some codes to get the japanese version.

if at least the Japanese version gets ports to PS4, I would get it. yea a English localization would be nice, but first the original version has to get a PS4+Switch port, otherwise there's no foundation to have a english localization get a green light.

though I think its possible if people internally or outside SNK get them to look in that direction. they are set on promoting their IPs, so Samurai Shodown RPG is already complete and an easy sell, especially to the curious masses, the starving Switch gamers, and the PS4 gamers that would be intrigued at what is practically the only RPG based on a fighting game.
plus its art is beautiful and graphics look better than SNES era Final Fantasy games. and the characters are actually well proportioned instead of chibi sprites.
Samurai Spirits RPG would make more money on Switch and PS4 than it ever made on a NeoGeo platform. easy money for SNK.
and it has production values and style that modern indie developers would beg to have such talent and genius.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Yeah, to add onto that it's 2018. Garou 2 was in the works 18 years ago. If SNK tried to release the Garou 2 that was made at that time, I'd have some ethical problems with that, mainly are all the developers who worked on that still at SNK? Will they receive fair compensation?

I know a lot of people here are hung up on the 75% completed (supposedly) Garou 2 to come out but I don't think that would be right. And besides, to succeed in this market they'd have to start from scratch.

Sup LS. I definitely wouldn't want devs to go uncredited. It would certainly be sad to see a repeat of the way Capcom handled the credits from Clover for the Wii port of Okami. Crediting the original team and all original staff would certainly be in order if the original code is used.

My point was simply that with so many retro themed and sprite-based games being released (and re-released) these days. Now would probably be the best time to release a Garou 2 in the vein of the original if they can. We know SNK (Playmore) has a history of constantly re-releasing and even altering the original games for modern consoles of the time to create "new" titles: King of Fighters 94 Re-bout, King of Fighters 98 UM, King of Fighters 2002 UM, King of Fighters 97 Global Match, etc, etc.

With the recent solo release of the unedited Samurai Shodown V Special as a download title on current consoles, releasing a Garou 2 with a similar treatment might be a good route rather than going the kofxiv route. If not, I'd love to see a Garou 2 sequel drawn like kof13, but I know that's asking for too much from a profitability standpoint. Perhaps working from the code of the original planned Garou 2 would make more sense for them from a resource point of view.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Since Windjammers is getting a sequel, completing Garou 2 and release it doesn't sound impossible?

saner

Krauser's Henchman
wtf, something ultra niche like Windjammers getting a sequel, means Samurai Shodown must be getting a new game too.

Windjammers is interesting for like one match or a couple seconds. while a good Samurai Shodown game can be pretty timeless

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
If SNK tried to release the Garou 2 that was made at that time, I'd have some ethical problems with that, mainly are all the developers who worked on that still at SNK? Will they receive fair compensation?
I'm not sure I follow you on this one. It's their IP. They can do (or not do) whatever they want with it. I'm sure the staff working on it back when were paid. It's not like they owe royalties to those programmers/artists on every unit sold.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
new Samurai Shodown should get a sequel number, even if its a prequel to SS1, numbers sell more games than plain reboot titles or titles with subtitles.

also the new SS should have lots of fighters fightable in one playthrough/story. I hate it when fighting games doing even line up half the roster to fight before the bosses. its too short, especially games like SSVS and SSIV where its just a few fights then the bosses appear. like, SS1 had everyone fought before the boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpKwaA61Ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-qSonZAQwM

even SSVI, with its massive roster, should of had everyone fought before the bosses, it would be more epic, and considering the backgrounds were 2D, the devs could have easily used backgrounds from past games to line up more locations to fight. Like really, SSVI was a festival game and they didnt really make the campaign as epic as they could, they copy pasted most of the fighters on the roster, slapping on backgrounds from at least SSIV to V would be a breeze. and there would be no shame in that, capcom copy pasted SF2 backgrounds across ALL editions.

but yea anyways, they should make the campaign/arcade more longer and you know they should even have a vs cpu mode where like players can stack as muc hopponents as they want, basically create their own arcade mode.

well yea SS6 had survival mode, but the UI was terrible, skipping the intros was dumb, they could have done it better.

though yea they should preserve blood and gore as much as they can, it should be at least on par with Sen's violence.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
I can't stand people who screw with the aspect ratio so that the characters look squished.

Fucking retards.

wow that is rude to call people retards just because they have different preference in aspect ratio and prefer the gameplay being fullscreen instead of 4:3 with borders.

the characters and display look fine to me fullscreen. squished would be like if someone were to reduce the vertical inward, then they would look squished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFNNLiWEFtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAzVm_qfyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHn3AEJ30JA

saner

Krauser's Henchman
see look at that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmiVqD1z9cw

better fullscreen instead of with borders/wallpapers. plus even without smoothing, and the original pixels with original ratio, it just has weak impact compared to full screen and smooth epicness.

well yea people have different preferences, but I say if someone use a HDTV, a game's display should fill the entire screen. and with smoothness so the pixels dont make the sprites look so squareish and stuff.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Anyone who plays these games with an altered aspect ratio squishing down the characters is a fucking retard. End of story, not open for debate.

If you prefer the game characters to all look like fat midgets, that says something about you.

And the borders. Let me guess, you preferred pan and scan back in the day, rather than letterbox. You're the worst. Terrible member and an awful human being.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Anyone who plays these games with an altered aspect ratio squishing down the characters is a fucking retard. End of story, not open for debate.

If you prefer the game characters to all look like fat midgets, that says something about you.

And the borders. Let me guess, you preferred pan and scan back in the day, rather than letterbox. You're the worst. Terrible member and an awful human being.

you meanie. get your eyes checked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L08EOrd0leo

they dont look like fat midgets. and the action and presentation is more impactful when the display fills the whole screen without border gimmicks.

though yea we aren't gonna agree, but anyways, the 2019 is gonna be made for widescreen, so the gameplay will fill the whole screen thankfully and will have characters not 'squished' like you see them.

so there.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
have characters not 'squished' like you see them.
It has nothing to do with "how I see them".

If you stretch a person horizontally and leave them as-is vertically, the result is not a matter of perception. It's simple, inescapable fact. If you somehow truly can't see the difference, there is something (else) seriously wrong with you.

Those videos you keep posting are fucking ugly.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
It has nothing to do with "how I see them".

If you stretch a person horizontally and leave them as-is vertically, the result is not a matter of perception. It's simple, inescapable fact. If you somehow truly can't see the difference, there is something (else) seriously wrong with you.

Those videos you keep posting are fucking ugly.

no they are not! they are vast and gorgeous display! you just see them wrong because you are seeing it on your phone (or perhaps 3DS?)

and besides, we SNK fans are not graphics whores. whatever the display, it looks fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fgOMxpXrMo

classic 4:3 looks fine to you. While 16:9 fullscreen, even stretched with smoothing, looks fine to me. and SSVS has both options, so there.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh great, now on top of everything else, saner has decided to start pretending to be a girl.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
SNK revealed Samurai Shodown 2019, but they sure should build momentum towards it like they did with KOFXIV, but should be better graphics and stuff.

like even though Smash Ultimate is overrated, at least they know how to build interest through frequent updates. well yea SS 2019 may not have as much content to promote, but they could still sprinkle updates over the weeks/months.