Samurai Shodown 25th anniversay today! (07/07/1993)

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I'd rather go with E.

E. Use the high profile game designers (like the producer of CVS2) to make an all new game (more then likely 2.5D) with an art style befitting of Samurai Shodown.

No offense to KOF XIV. They did a good job using assets another producer was making that was received negatively and turned it into something people thought was "ok". Now is the time to move away from it and make something brand new.

Give this man a gold star because he gets it.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I have confidence that KOF15 would look at least on par with the other current fighters. However I doubt we would see it before next gen hits the shelves.

If we end up getting a new SS (or perhaps NGBC2) this gen, chances are they will use a slightly enhanced version of KOF14's engine. My hopes diminshed after seeing Heroines cast being entirely taken from KOF14 though (apart from Shermie).

PS:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHeartOfGaming/posts/enjoy-my-interview-with-yasuyuki/1605122386265304/

CvS3 is not going to happen
No Last Blade 3 (they feel LB2 concluded the series)
MotW 2 maybe eventually when / if the time is right
KOF15 is going to happen
The rest is just about SNK Heroines

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree that a new SS would mean using the current kof engine.

And to think SNK once upon a time pushed the boat out upon (almost) every release. It was a matter of pride. Of course this all ended by 2001

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
:
https://www.facebook.com/TheHeartOfGaming/posts/enjoy-my-interview-with-yasuyuki/1605122386265304/

CvS3 is not going to happen
No Last Blade 3 (they feel LB2 concluded the series)
MotW 2 maybe eventually when / if the time is right
KOF15 is going to happen
The rest is just about SNK Heroines

I can't see the interview, but from what you said.

If they are talking to SNK wouldn't you be referring to SVC 2? Cause CVS2 is a Capcom title. Also besides that SNK denies anything exists until they want to release it or make a formal statement.

Speaking of CVS2 honestly I wish Capcom and SNK would make a deal to rerelease CVS2. I think the Capcom fans made it crystal clear they want that title the most.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
"Oh we'll make KOF 15, but Garou 2? MOST LIKELY NOT CAUSE THAT'S WHAT FANS WOULD WANT, INSTEAD HAVE MORE OF A SERIES WE HAVE BEEN MILKING FOR YEARS, FUCK COMING OUT WITH A PART 2 OF A GAME THAT EVERYONE LOVES."

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
You're just saying that because it's true. :grins: Honestly I'd rather SNK take their time making MOTW2 and fuck up KOF rather then fucking up MOTW2. I'm still super salty over Samurai Shodown Sen, and I like MOTW way more then Sam Sho.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
40th anniversary illustrations:

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/snk40th/

ilst_mainimg1.jpg

ilst_mainimg2.jpg

ilst_mainimg3_b.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
^God bless the Mini launch for this interview...

Looking back at the Fatal Fury series, it's nothing but old men with mustaches and other macho characters.

Haha... sounds pretty much like these forums ;).

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
“However, old SNK was dissolved during development, so unfortunately it’s all been archived. Yasuyuki Oda keeps saying that he’ll make it, so if fans speak up, continued development on Garou 2 might become a reality.”

Wait a minute, “archived”? “continued development”? I was always under the impression that the assets and possibly the source code for Garou 2 was lost just like a lot of the HNG64 games. If they indeed found/have the assets for a near-complete version of Garou 2, then cleaning it up and releasing it to the public could give us a MotW sequel that preserves the look and feel of the original rather than something born of the KOFXIV engine. I hope this is the case!

saner

Krauser's Henchman
I have SS1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Special and 6 on PS4. bringing them to modern consoles is the greatest thing SNK did since developing KOFXIV (which is a mindblowing attempt and the graphics update was even more mindblowing. KOFXIV got red carpet support, even if the mainstream didnt think so. it just had trouble finding a art direction and graphical quality that would make it mainstream appealing).

Though the next Samurai Shodown gotta be hardcore lethal with its damage and attacks. Samurai Shodown shines when its not emphasized on combos,
that just makes the weapons feel weaker, which contradicts the essence of the series which was to express the dangerous and violent destructive nature of weapons, especially blades.
this was generations before Bushido Blade went steps further and simulated more realistic duels.
and Samurai Shodown is not a spectator sport. people fight for survival as much as glory. its kill or be killed in most cases. the gameplay should reflect upon that.
even though it was a festival light hearted intended game, SSVI lacking blood and gore really made it hollow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BshnUJhexiw
SS
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTKwaxo3BD5PDMNq7jUK6yBFy6ZHuzDO5
SSVS
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTKwaxo3BD5Ph4NETPhIMSUDiS5qcNUX9

the SS with the most gratifying balance is SS V Special. finishers are more likely to cut someone in two, more ways to graphically kill someone, the overkills were unique and still perfect for Samurai Shodown.
though SS3 has the best atmosphere for the most part. SS1 and SS2, while legendary, were too lighthearted in some aspects (like bananas flying out when someone is cut in two), Samurai Shodown became better when they ditched the referee in the background and starting making kills more gratifying (it gets especially intense when two fighters are at critical in the decisive round in SS3. )

well yea SS3 isnt perfect, I like some things about SSIV but it got carried away with combos and it feels much harder to try to cut someone in two or more pieces.
SSII is well rounded, but it feels dated compared to SSV Special's game mechanics polish and speed. SSi is classic, though yea, its long been since surpassed, but still worth playing once in a while.
I like playing SS1-6 back to back.

they should port and localize Samurai Shodown RPG on PS4. I dont care about its flaws, its probably the first and only fighting RPG based on a mainstream fighting series.

I like some things about Samurai Shodown Sen, but yea, graphics, art direction and presentation is gonna be essential for the next Samurai Shodown, but it also has the right formula of gameplay, besides of course
an impressive roster, plus blood, gore and finishers (both caused by regular slashes, as well as overkills) are a must. they cant pull any punches. MK's mainstream success should give SNK confidence that its ok to kill and split people open in Samurai Shodown games.

also they should keep the soundtrack as ambient as possible. one of the things I hate about classic Tenchu games is how out of place and awful its soundtrack is. the only decent Tenchu game with a solid soundtrack is Tenchu Senran/Tenchu Z. but yea, new gen Samurai Shodown fighting game has to be in a league of its own and not Garou/KOF with swords.

Leback

Stakes Winner
I really think the Samurai Shodown series has aged well. If/when SNK develops a sequel (most likely in 3D), hopefully they will find an art style that fits the series in 3D. Far away from the plastic look that some 3D fighters have.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
yea art direction can be key. also I really like how the body parts dont disappear in Samurai Shodown Sen. it was always weird seeing the top half dissappear in the games, even SSVSpecial, though yea SSVSpecial uncensored (which PS4 version has), is splendid and has the greatest balance of blood and gore with great amount of ways to cut people in two and stuff. Suija exploding people and bathing in their rain of blood is so epic.

the next Samurai Shodown should be just as savage or even more savage than SSV Special. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehE0508nz14

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Wait a minute, “archived”? “continued development”?

Doooon't get your hopes up. He might be talking about the characters he already made for Garou 2 that he showed the sprite list off for. I'm 99.99999% sure they don't have the 70% completed version because Aruze lost it for them. It wasn't something you can just find again unless Aruze just happened to archive the stuff and SNK now reched an agreement w/ them.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
While something brand new would be nice, I wouldn't mind: B. Use kof xiv engine/assets for another 2.5D fighter

If the gameplay is there, it could be well liked. SS 2 looked nice for it's time, but most of all, it was just fun to play.

But yes, as others have noted, current market trends may demand some un-old school SNK emphasis on all the wrong things.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
well they should port and localize the Samurai Shodown RPG on PS4, that game is so epic and unique, and practically the only fighting series to get an authentic RPG that makes even Romancing SaGa proud at the multiple main characters and innovative styles.

oh yea, Samurai Shodown V Special still kicks ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZxbY_A_OTs

its messed up PS4 gamers arent more hyped about Samurai Shodown games, but SNK should keep the momentum going. they got 6 Samurai Shodown games on PS4 and they can reall make the series mainstream this generation with a new quality game.

and yea while gameplay is important, they should emphasize more on graphics. seriously, despite all its great modes and shaming its competition, KOFXIV was largely ignored because its graphics were not enticing enough to the mainstream, that was its greatest shortcoming. next Samurai Shodown has to have some kind of mindblowing graphics/art direction that the mainstream would get the game for.

Last edited:

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I saw an EVO video from this year of SamSho 2 being played as part of the tournament....a game that's 20-plus years old being played at a tournament with the latest and greatest. I think that says a lot about the longevity of the series. People were watching these guys play. They were really into it. The gameplay was awesome....the combos were truly player-generated and not the result of 50 different meters. The series still has some great legs, and it deserves a legit installment.

grafik__

n00b
Maybe this anniversary will finally bring us an English translation of SS RPG.

Even though I know there is now way the game can meet our collective expectations after all these years... that would still be amazing. Kind of surprised SNK has not farmed the work out to a smaller developer to handle the translation, and put it out on current hardware. I could see it doing well with the Switch userbase.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
“However, old SNK was dissolved during development, so unfortunately it’s all been archived. Yasuyuki Oda keeps saying that he’ll make it, so if fans speak up, continued development on Garou 2 might become a reality.”

Wait a minute, “archived”? “continued development”? I was always under the impression that the assets and possibly the source code for Garou 2 was lost just like a lot of the HNG64 games. If they indeed found/have the assets for a near-complete version of Garou 2, then cleaning it up and releasing it to the public could give us a MotW sequel that preserves the look and feel of the original rather than something born of the KOFXIV engine. I hope this is the case!

Yeah, to add onto that it's 2018. Garou 2 was in the works 18 years ago. If SNK tried to release the Garou 2 that was made at that time, I'd have some ethical problems with that, mainly are all the developers who worked on that still at SNK? Will they receive fair compensation?

I know a lot of people here are hung up on the 75% completed (supposedly) Garou 2 to come out but I don't think that would be right. And besides, to succeed in this market they'd have to start from scratch.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah, to add onto that it's 2018. Garou 2 was in the works 18 years ago. If SNK tried to release the Garou 2 that was made at that time, I'd have some ethical problems with that, mainly are all the developers who worked on that still at SNK? Will they receive fair compensation?

I know a lot of people here are hung up on the 75% completed (supposedly) Garou 2 to come out but I don't think that would be right. And besides, to succeed in this market they'd have to start from scratch.

I would take it a step further. For SNK to be in the game, at the top giving orders, they need to make new fighting games with brand new assets.
I think a proper fighting game renaissance might be around the corner IF companies make brand new franchises.
Otherwise the scene will forever remain a dribble in the large scheme of things.
It won't happen though. No balls